• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce engines

JDToumanian

Assuming the two engines have the same model number, and ignoring potential differences in wear on used engines, I'm not aware of any difference between manufacturers - Hercules, Continental, or in my case, White. They were all built to the same spec and parts are interchangeable.

It would be interesting to study blown engines statistically and see if one manufacturer has more failures than the others, relative to the totals produced for each brand... But I don't think this has ever been done and I wouldn't be convinced unless there were a large number of results for accuracy.

Jon

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce engines

Wouldn't it be about like comparing M-1 Garands among their manufacturers? Or, M-1 Carbines? Same specs across the board. Only thing with the guns would be that some are more rare than others simply because of the numbers each one produced. Quality is the same.

Apples and oranges, I know, but point being all manufacturing sites are given the same requirements and materials. Right?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have always tried to believe that all the engine manufacturers of the multi-fuel motors made them equally. My perception of this thought is slightly skewed though. A lot of Town and County highway departments around here have been using surplus trucks for as long as I can remember. I have many friends and relatives that have worked for these municipalities. It really does seem like the Continental engines are less prone to failure. The White engines seem to be the worst for major failures. I'm pretty sure that if you asked our county highway maintenance garage this question, they would repeat what I'm saying. I know it shouldn't be this way, but around here it seems to be the case. 2cents

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I wonder if the opinions expressed by GIMP and DOGHEAD are anecdotal, or is there something to this. I've owned many deuces with all of the motors and never noticed a difference between the manufacturers. However, I also don't put too many miles on my trucks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bruce, My post is serious and unbiased. It is simply a long time observation.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce engines

kendelrio said:
How do you find out who built your engine?
Look at your id tag on the side of the engine, under the exhaust manifold. This is a bad picture, It reads Hercules at the top out of view.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DOGHEAD: I believe you. It sounds like you and the county maintenance people have many more miles on these trucks than I do so I defer to you guys. I did not mean to sound as though I was doubting you...only that I was wondering if others had the same experiences because I have never noticed a difference (but, as I said above, I also have not put thousands of miles on my trucks under tough conditions).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Bruce, I admit we were stirring the pot. Mike was supposed to vote Continental too, but I think he is still mad about eating my dust in Dman's go cart at the Florida rally. I figure the motors were built to "spec" and there should be no differance between them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Seriously, my response is an honest observation of what I have seen.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The engines are not all the same. There were continued advancements in head gaskets, deck thickness and turbo type that were not applied across the board by the factories (due to contract dates) - so, my thought would be that the last engines built would be the best - and I think those were Hercules....but too lazy at the moment to dig through my files to verify this.

HOWEVER, for most if not all the contracts Continental did the engineering (development and product improvement was contracted separately from production.),

My .02,
DD

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce engines

gimpyrobb said:
Bruce, I admit we were stirring the pot. Mike was supposed to vote Continental too, but I think he is still mad about eating my dust in Dman's go cart at the Florida rally. I figure the motors were built to "spec" and there should be no differance between them.
Nah... not mad.... Just saw an oppurnity to stir the pot even more!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks