• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce engines

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they are all the same. But every one i've seen with a window in the block was a white.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Manuacturing facilities can differ. A poorly managed work force or work enviroment can wreck the best designs. I am not impling that this was the case, but it is a factor. JimK

ironhorsethegeneral

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce engines

We can stir the pot even more. We have a 67 winch truck with the original engine with a tach redline at 2900 rpm and the transmision was setup and geared for this truck. As the truck will run about 50 mph. at the 2900 rpm. This truck also runs 1100 series tires. The engine is a Continental.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Chris, sounds like you have an LDS ip on the block and a non-O.D. trans. To have that rpm with 1100s and only go 50!?

saddamsnightmare

March 7th, 2008.

When you really think about it, gentlemen, with small exceptions as noted by the esteemed Mr. Doyle above, Continental did the design work, and with few exceptions, the design was largely frozen by, what, 1965 or 1966? The engine is a very good Medium/Heavy diesel for that period, and excepting unforeseeable manufacturer's defects or user abuse (you know who you are), it's probably unusual outside the American Railroad industry to see so many engines survive without major modification 30, 40 and 50 years after they were built. It's equally unlikely that the diesels built today for truck service will be as reliable and as serviceable a half century later. Unfortunately on my M35A2 Kaiser jeep, both the engine data plate and the air compressor data plates have the black paint worn off, and I haven't stuck my nose far enough under the hood to try to decipher who made the engine. I guess when it went through its last major rebuild in 1989/90, the depot just didn't bother replacing or repainting the plate (any suggestions on the best way to reblack on the block and then raise the lettering????.
Do remember that in the mid to late 1980's early 1990's that the Army asked the EPA for permission to manufacture 3000+ new Multifuel engines for these trucks, and the EPA said no. That's about all that happened to kill the M35's in the Army inventory, but the finial funeral hasn't occurred there yet, but arrangements are underway. The equivalent engine in railroad work it terms of design ubiquity and length of servive is the General Motors-Electro-Motive Division 567 series, in production from 1939 to 1965, with serveral hundred still running today all around the world.
Just a depreciated 2cents worth, but no need to :deadhorse: as the engines are :grd: .

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Swiss Army Unimog S404.114
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce (and still able to lay her own smoke screen), normally asprirated Multifuel Engine!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

I dunno Kyle, in some past discussions it has been agreed that these motors are low milage motors.

saddamsnightmare

March 7th, 2008.

New MV Guy, man, I wish my truck's plate looked that good, you didn't happen to restore the engine, by the way?
And yes, most honorable GimpyRobb, I am quite certain many of you gentlemen have low mileage motors. Mine's at 22,840, when I got it in October from Jay Bennett in Colorado it had 21,840, when the 300QMC-88RRD got i in 2002 it had 19,340 (all after the 1989/1990 class rebuild), and for a diesel 22,840 is low, but its the sitting around that kills them. Given that my truck was built in 1971 by KaiserJeep, I'll bet she racked some miles up before the rebuild, and it's likely not the original engine anyway, but when a truck's driven by many different drivers they wear in very strange and unpredictable ways.
A truck driven by one person only, particularly a careful person, will age vastly different then these machines do, as they are not assigned to just one G.I. all their lives, so not everyone does the small things to make them live longer. However, the engine design itself is not the same as a modern diesel, as the engineers today have often refined an engine to the highest degree, and with computers theycan pare excess weight from the components to just above the failure threshold in the name of weight and cost savings. Ferroequinologist (the engineer fella), will tell you that the modern railway diesels are miracle machines, but if they act up on the road, there's little the engine crew can do to limp them home (the old diesels forgave much and brought you back most times). Ditto with the new technology in Army trucks, but I think I would rather have a rebuilt M35 with good tires then an FMTV
in a hairy place. Either way, it's good to know some of you guys have out of the box machines.

Regards,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Swiss Army Unimog S404.114
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce.

FormerNewMVGuy

saddamsnightmare said:
March 7th, 2008.

New MV Guy, man, I wish my truck's plate looked that good, you didn't happen to restore the engine, by the way?.
My truck had a BRAND NEW engine installed just before it was turned in! 8) It also had new trans, new light switch, and a couple of new gauges installed, It was also the second to last truck to be auctioned out of fort drum NY.

JDToumanian

Well, I know my White engine will never fail me... 'cause it knows that if it does it will be plucked out and unceremoniously dropped in the dirt, and it's replacement will be a screamin' 4-banger painted alpine green. 8)

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
My 530C fire truck - built on a M45A2 chassis - had less than 600 original (and yes, I mean ORIGINAL) miles on it when I bought it....truly a low mileage truck. Runs strong too, and snce I got it a wrench hasn't been on the engine (other than the oil drain plugs)

DD

Alredneck

Banned
emmaddo22 whats that oilly lookn stuff on yours some kinda persirvative :lol: must keep all the dirt from stickn to it hehe !!!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I too have noticed that Whites usually have the highest rate of holes in the blocks, strictly based on what I have seen on GL over the years. My newest truck does not have a data plate on the engine at all, does anybody know if there are casting numbers that can help identify the manufacturer?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a picture I took when I first inspected the truck.. Over 18 months ago.. Since then, alot has been done, to include cleaning the engine compartment. :)

OuttaTheWayPECK

which turbo is the whistler turbo? what's the difference between the C and D turbo? Also, is the C specific to one engine manufacturer also same question with regard to the D turbo?