• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce for practical off-road work

chicklin

So, I've been reading all the posts about Deuce's in the mud, sand, etc. and reading all about super singles, lockers, etc. Everyone says the stock setup sucks, but what I really want to know is how does it work for the average off-road farm use? The more I read, the more I get the feeling that these people complaining about NDT's, duals, etc. do a heck of a lot more "extreme" driving than I will.

Now, we get some pretty thick and heavy mud here in Missouri, and we've gotten some pickups and a CJ-5 stuck on the dirt road into our farm, but I've got to believe that the deuce, even in stock setup, is going to outperform anything like what I've had before.

Am I way off here, or am I going to have problems and get this thing stuck? I know you can get anything stuck, but I'm not going to be "muddin" it. Who else here uses their deuce as a work truck around the farm, not a "wheelin" machine?

CGarbee

On the familly farm in VA, we use: A pair of M35A2's for general hauling (moving irrigation pipe, hauling orchard boxes, round bales, etc), a M35A2 with a 1025 gallon tank and pumping system for drafting water out of the river for use in the orchard sprayers and the hydrocooler at the packing shed, and a M817 for hauling rock and such.

I've had them kick sideways on the hillside when it is wet, and I have managed to get them stuck when loaded and it is wet... but I had to "work" at it some... And, I've gotten the old GM single axle flatbed stuck a lot more often...

A neighbor uses his multifuel five ton tractor as part of his logging business...

A couple other folks on the forum use them on thier farms...

Without knowing your situation, I'd still venture to say that you would find a M35 to be a good value in a farm truck...

chicklin

CGarbee said:
Without knowing your situation, I'd still venture to say that you would find a M35 to be a good value in a farm truck...
I doubt we'd ever carry something even that heavy. Mostly brush, lumber, firewood, dead deer (if things work out well :) ), maybe a load of gravel or straw bales. The property is up out of the river bottom, so the ground is pretty solid, but there is a dirt road with a hard rock bottom that we use to travel throughout the farm. Unfortunately, the hard rock bottom is under knee-deep mud in some spots, although there is usually a good rut.

Part of the reason for getting the deuce is to make sure we can get in and out no matter the weather b/c we've had some nightmares with our 1/2 ton 4x4 pickups and sometimes we just haven't even tried to go in. I'd like to think as long as I take it easy, we'd always be able to go wherever we wanted and maybe yank out a stuck truck or two.

alphadeltaromeo

chicklin...for what it's worth...you'll get way more use out of a deuce for farm use for the $'s invested than most any other vehicle on the earth. additionally, it can burn most anything to run, parts accessible and cheap...buy one *grin*

chicklin

alphadeltaromeo said:
chicklin...for what it's worth...you'll get way more use out of a deuce for farm use for the $'s invested than most any other vehicle on the earth. additionally, it can burn most anything to run, parts accessible and cheap...buy one *grin*
Well, I already bought one from GL basically based on that premise. For just over $2k, I'm getting a machine that is infinitely more useful than a four-wheeler or Rhino/Gator/Mule and much cheaper. Granted, it won't be as nimble, but the price/performance ratio is pretty hard to beat. Easy to work on, parts readily available and reasonably priced....

I just don't want to end up with this bad a$$ new machine and find out that I can't get around anywhere without getting it stuck. I just have a feeling that the naysayers are holding it to a much higher standard (hardcore off-roading) than what I need.

alphadeltaromeo

hmm, id perceive that the naysayers aint MV fans lol - just tell them u'll be happy to yank them outa their hole when they unfortunately get stuck...smile when ur communicating with them too hehe

CGarbee

Chicklin, since you say you've already purchased one, I won't mention how usefull we find the dropside truck to be when it comes to loading the square haybales (why did they wait to get the roundbailer until after I moved off the farm??) or when loading orchard boxes. :)

A set of chains are a great investment for snow and mud season althouth the NDT's aren't that bad if they have decent tread...

chicklin

CGarbee said:
Chicklin, since you say you've already purchased one, I won't mention how usefull we find the dropside truck to be when it comes to loading the square haybales (why did they wait to get the roundbailer until after I moved off the farm??) or when loading orchard boxes. :)

A set of chains are a great investment for snow and mud season althouth the NDT's aren't that bad if they have decent tread...
Yeah, I'd love to have the dropsides, but you take what you can get with GL.

As far as chains go, I've thought about that, too, and it really sounds like the most effective and affordable option for the few times you might need them. A lot easier and cheaper than buying 7 super singles, flipping hubs, etc, etc.

When running chains on a deuce can you get away with just putting them on one axle on the back? If so, which one? I've seen a pair of dually chains for $175. Sounds like a good solution to me and then I can keep everything stock.

rockman

I have mine loaded with two cords of fire wood, axle deep in mud and it kept on going. Snow is also pretty easy however, ice is another story. Keep it moving and don't drive like a kid and you will be surprised where it can take you.

Bill in TN :D

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CHICKLIN: Contact me if you want some brand new tires chains still in the plastic barrel. I only have a couple of sets that I want to sell (each barrel contains enough to do one rear axle). They are HEAVY, though. Shipping would not be cheap. I'd take $60/axle plus shipping. I only want to sell enough for one truck (two 5 gallon pails).

mcmullag

uh, um, err

...for what it's worth....a cattle rancher 30 miles north of here, bought bulldogmack13's deuce end of May when said SS'er had to move across the country. the rancher also bought 2 M105's, now he has 4 deuces. he says he uses them to haul water and hay out to the cattle. He says that In the winter, with chains on, he can go through 4 feet of snow to get out to the cattle. I heard of another rancher out here too that uses a deuce because it can handle what a F350 cannot.

best of luck, nice truck.

g-dawg

chicklin

Re: uh, um, err

mcmullag said:
...for what it's worth....a cattle rancher 30 miles north of here, bought bulldogmack13's deuce end of May when said SS'er had to move across the country. the rancher also bought 2 M105's, now he has 4 deuces. he says he uses them to haul water and hay out to the cattle. He says that In the winter, with chains on, he can go through 4 feet of snow to get out to the cattle. I heard of another rancher out here too that uses a deuce because it can handle what a F350 cannot.

best of luck, nice truck.

g-dawg
Thanks, that's some good testimonials. I like that a lot better than "the deuce sucks on such and such trail, you need singles, lockers and a motor swap!!".

BEASTMASTER

RE: Re: uh, um, err

if you're going to be constantly in mud drop the tires down.they are designed to grip with the sides in soft ground.i run ndt's on mine plowing snow and run 50lds. in the front and 40lds in the rear and NEVER had any trouble.and they come get me when something gets stuck. :driver: