• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce For sale. Is it worth it?

bwinzey

Hello, so I just joined this community today in hopes of getting some quick advice from people that know about such stuff.

I found this Keep Kyser M35A2 in my local classifieds.

The bad-
  • The brakes don't work due to a bad airpack, which the seller says is due to the truck sitting there for a long time.
  • Bed is rotted away almost everywhere-I'm gonna need to take it off completely and buy another or build something in it's place.
  • Cabin is rotting in some places.
  • Only one window- and it's cracked.
  • No roof.
The good-
  • Cheap (at least to my knowledge). Being offered to me for $1,500.
  • Mechanically is fine. Chassis isn't rusted anywhere.

Please help me ASAP. I need to pay for the truck by Friday (2/17/17) and take it home on Saturday (2/18/17), if I don't buy it, the owner is going to cut off the axles and sell them to someone for a buggy or something.
Another thing- I live 8.5 miles away from where the truck is located. The lowest quote I found for a tow truck that can carry it is around $200. One of my dad's friends has a military tow bar I can borrow, but I'm not sure if they're all universal and work for this truck. I have a 2008 F350 I can use to tow it. Its like 6 right/left turns in total to get to my house and it's all flat, mostly on a straight road with a 45mph limit.

I went to see it but I didn't look in the engine bay to look at exactly what engine it has. I know it is a multifuel but I'm not sure if it has a turbo, but I don't think it matters muck (does it?).
I've been thinking of buying it and instead of spending a bunch of money on the bed and cabin, I could buy steel sheets and make it look like one of the newer MRAP vehicles, hopefully for a lower cost. What do you guys think?

I pretty much fell in love with the idea but seeing how I'm 17 and will only have around $2,000 left to put on the truck after the $1,500 to buy it, I'm getting anxious because the guy is gonna start cutting it up soon if I don't buy it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Here are the pictures in the seller's post. I forgot to take any when I went to see it as I was so overwhelmed.
00d0d_bYaaPHHuA7D_600x450.jpg00s0s_5aH2PM4YHXK_600x450.jpg00z0z_j3OzP8MLMzt_600x450.jpg00404_c5DUEZN5o54_600x450.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
YUP!

Totally worth it.

BUT if you think it will make a good daily driver, its not for you. I think I would have it towed or find someone that has a 6x6 to tow it. Do not use a pickup truck!

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can tell you is these trucks are every bit as awesome as you think... now when it comes to money nobody can really place a value on the truck if you want it.. I will tell you that you will never have enough money put into that truck... I always find myself spending a hundred here and 500 there on mine.. just a thought... also you need to think about it long and hard and don't rush... you want to know more about the brakes on that truck then just if it runs... more important to stop than to go lol but that's just me.. welcome to the fun... don't feel obligated to get this one and worry you won't get another opportunity... I bet if you gather your 3500 and add another 1500 you can find a good running and stopping deuce.... just saying your spending the money anyways

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will definitely look different after you slap some paint on it. I agree with Gimp even 500 feet with a regular truck is probably a bad idea lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DeucesWild11

Ditto what Gimpy said, yes a good deal but don't try and tow it yourself, spend the $200. The truck has single stage brakes which means if you have a leak or failure anywhere then you have NO BRAKES.. that's not cool when you have over 5 tons of steel rolling. You will always have something to do on it and need to spend some $$ here and there. I also wouldn't recommend as a daily driver because you can't just bring it into a shop and get it fixed.. you need to find the parts first, get them shipped and then install. Plan on having the truck sit for a few days or a week before you can fix it. Hope you're mechanically inclined too because it's best if you learn to fix it yourself. All the manuals are here online and plenty of posts for just about anything that can go wrong with it.

I don't mean to scare you away from it.. just know what you're getting into. They are awesome trucks and will get you a lot of attention driving it anywhere.

Good luck

red

Going to need tires very soon as well, which will run between 1000-2000 bucks right there. To get the truck driveable it needs complete fluid change, entire brake system overhaul, hubs serviced. Pretty quick to cost $800 right there. Add in windshield, cab soft top, lightbulbs (not unlikely), replacement driver seat and any other repairs that pop up during the initial servicing will cost another $1000 quickly.

Honestly looking at about $5500 between buying the truck and getting it operational/complete. That's not including bed work or any mods/upgrades you want to do to it.

I'd pass on that truck. There are nicer m35a2's for sale on here and on the facebook pages that are within your price range.

teletech

That's Kaiser, you don't need a "Y", just like owning one.

Ask for or go take a picture of the other side of the motor, that's where the turbo would live. It makes a lot of difference in hill-climbing and driving at altitude, less for just cruising.

Just pay the $200 to get it moved.

You can replace the cab and bed pretty easily, but the shipping them might make that prohibitive. An old navy-surplus panel van was my introduction to brazing, learn a new skill!

gimpyrobb

Ask for or go take a picture of the other side of the motor, that's where the turbo would live. It makes a lot of difference in hill-climbing and driving at altitude, less for just cruising.
No need, it is a turbo. You can tell by the stack thickness and the air intake.

gimpyrobb

Its an old one too. You can see the gauges are old style and the tach added below. Been a while since I've seen that!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd pass. You're going to be into it for $5k in short order. You can buy one complete and done for less.

The only advantage to this one over one that's turn-key is that you can spread out the expenditures over time.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have it towed.

Its a good "starter" project. If you like mechanic work - get it (but this goes for ANY of them). But offer $1000 1st. Then strip all the trash off it. You'll find a new bed (get a drop side), and maybe a new cab, etc. Save all the bolts & good stuff, like the pioneer tool kit rack/mud flaps. When you have it stripped, do the brakes. BTW, many of these trucks will require the same work.

Have it towed for the $200. That's cheap.

gerrykan

You may also want to check if your insurance company will insure a 17 year old in a 3 axle truck, and how much it will cost.

DavidWymore

Semi-rare M35A1, which is the early multifuels. I wonder if it has he LDS-427 still? That would be more rare. I would be very sad to see it cut up. Like to see more pics and the data plate.

DavidWymore

For 1500 I'd grab it, but you're in to for lots of work. Depending on how much of a hurry you get in, how mechanically inclined and determined you are, what kinds of shape it's in, how close you are to other guys you can get good deals from, you may or may not spend a lot of $ on it. They are awesome for sure. Check out some of my threads in my sig. My '62 A1, first and favorite truck is much rougher than yours. I scored a cab and bed for $400.00 which is about half going rate. It helps a lot if you have a big machine and welding shop as I do.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, welcome to Steel Soldiers!!
My advice, worth less than the electrons used to create it:
I agree with the advice you've already received. Offer $1000 to get the truck out of the guy's life. Spend the $200 to get it towed. Use this truck as a parts truck. Save up your pennies for a really nice, completely restored Deuce. Use your parts truck to keep your nice truck on the road. If you have to, sell a few parts from the parts truck to keep your nice truck on the road.

While you're working your tail off saving up money for a nice Deuce, do the following:
- spend hours in the TMs
- read the 'so you want to buy a Deuce?' article (not sure where it's posted here)
- read every thread you can on SS
- meet up with some local MV owners (I live in FL - I might know a few people in your neck of the woods, depending on what city you're in)
- take lots of deep breaths, and do not be in a rush to buy your first really nice truck

I hope my ramblings help you!! :)

bwinzey

I decided I'm not going to buy it. I feel bad for letting it get cut up, but let's be real: I'm 17, to school all day until 3PM, and have hours of homework and crap to do when I get home (ignoring the fact that once I leave school I'm practically brain dead and just wanna sleep).

I do know a lot about fixing cars/trucks and could repair pretty much anything mechanical, as my dad was a mechanic for a long time and I've learned a lot... Probably more than I need to know (down to tasting oil to see if it's still good).

The truck is in South Florida in Ft.Lauderdale. If anyone near here is interested I can give you the guy's number.

DavidWymore

First off, welcome to Steel Soldiers!!
My advice, worth less than the electrons used to create it:
I agree with the advice you've already received. Offer $1000 to get the truck out of the guy's life. Spend the $200 to get it towed. Use this truck as a parts truck. Save up your pennies for a really nice, completely restored Deuce. Use your parts truck to keep your nice truck on the road. If you have to, sell a few parts from the parts truck to keep your nice truck on the road.

While you're working your tail off saving up money for a nice Deuce, do the following:
- spend hours in the TMs
- read the 'so you want to buy a Deuce?' article (not sure where it's posted here)
- read every thread you can on SS
- meet up with some local MV owners (I live in FL - I might know a few people in your neck of the woods, depending on what city you're in)
- take lots of deep breaths, and do not be in a rush to buy your first really nice truck

I hope my ramblings help you!! :)
I'd hate to see an A1 parted.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I decided I'm not going to buy it. I feel bad for letting it get cut up, but let's be real: I'm 17, to school all day until 3PM, and have hours of homework and crap to do when I get home (ignoring the fact that once I leave school I'm practically brain dead and just wanna sleep).

I do know a lot about fixing cars/trucks and could repair pretty much anything mechanical, as my dad was a mechanic for a long time and I've learned a lot... Probably more than I need to know (down to tasting oil to see if it's still good).

The truck is in South Florida in Ft.Lauderdale. If anyone near here is interested I can give you the guy's number.
Why don't you come see my truck. It is good to go in Ft. Lauderdale, zip 33334.

Send me a PM and We will talk or at least I can show you what a good Deuce is like.
And a picture for the General.
046.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks