• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce fuel adjustment

cbvet

I keep reading where guys are getting 10-12 MPG in multifuel Deuces. The best I've ever hit was about 8 with desplined front hubs & traveling at 45 MPH.
I'd like to try turning the fuel down, but need some help.
How can I tell the "best" setting for this engine (non-turbo) ?
Can I damage anything by turning it down too much?
How can I tell if I've turned it down too much?
Suggestions appreciated.
Eric
CBVET

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you tried a new air filter, correct tire pressure, and Checking the valves are set right? Is your truck a powerhouse? If your FDC is in use, it has a screw with 2 nuts on it(must be a boy screw) Anyway, loosen the one closest to the radiator and screw the 2nd one out(so that the screw is able to go further into the housing. You have to make sure that the screw itself does not turn or you could break the spring connected to it on the inside of the FDC. I really think this is a poor option. I would look to put a turbo on first.

cbvet

It's got a new air filter, tires are at 50. I haven't adjusted the valves.
Last valves I adjusted were on a '63 Studebaker Hawk, but I'm sure I can handle it.
Truck starts instantly & runs really strong.
Would a turbo really improve mileage?
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, if you have black smoke, that is unburnt fuel. Usually that results from too rich a fuel mixture, which a turbo would correct. Most of the turbo deuces I've driven get about 10-13mpg. I guess a cheaper way to correct the "over fueling" would be to turn down the screw, but where is the fun in that? :)

kaiser2help

Lets not loose sight in what these machines were designed for. These motors, especially the LDS,LDT, orLD's Spent many years in Olivers, Fergusons, and many other old farm tractors. Smoking while you are accelerating hard is okay.However, once you have levelled off you should be burning clean. Just heat currents coming from the stack. My 5 ton only goes 45mph. But I will pull 2 DEUCES at once maintaing that speed. Torque monsters when properly maintained and adjusted.I will tell while towing a deuce I will not get 8 to 12 miles to the gallon. More like 2 to 4. COMPROMISE is never ending. Naturally aspirated motors are great runners too. Even better. If the multi- fuels were so good they wouldnt need a turbo to clean up their emissions. I love em anyways.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
non turbo should make little black smoke when just running at 45 mph, however when pulling it will make quite a bit. adding a turbo will improve fuel milage and clean up the exhaust but with the fuel turned up for max power it will still really smoke when working

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I turbo charged my old VW jetta diesel and went from getting 43 mpg to 47mpg without any fuel adjustment to the injector pump. Not directly related to a duece but shows how turbos will increase the fuel milage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks