• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Guntruck

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy all, Been thinking on what to do with my deuce and on the way home today was thinking about humvee guntrucks and the old deuce guntruck from vietnam and the likes.
So first does anybody have pics of the old guntrucks that might be helpful? I was thinking of a crew serve mount in front of the pass window so when its up you could mount a weapon or a buddy came up with a swing mount like on the sf humvees. I know the purists out there will probably say dont do it but we in the military have been modifying our trucks to meet the mission since we got off horses. I know here in the states i have no personal mission i was just wanting to do something different and unexpected. Any thoughts and pics on the subject would be much appreciated. :shock:

Alredneck

Banned
Thats SWEET!!! Lots of good ideas in the pics. Like to have all those weapons to go along with.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I built a mock up in plywood on one of our deuces when I was a lieutenant. It had sloping sides, gun loops and a protected turret for the M2 gunner made from the ring mount and a steel support bolted to the deck. It was really cool looking and too bad that was before digital pictures but it served us well running road blocks and in one case running over an OPFOR fighting position which made one guy pee his BDU's LMAO the evaluators were really T'ed off that I directed the driver to run over their fighting posistion.

David_4x4

The good thing about a gun truck is that they were built off of GI ingenuity. Each one was different, so you cant really go wrong with whatever you want to do.

BUt like I've said before, I want the $500k in guns that go along with it though. :lol:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to let you know, if you want something authentic, very few gun trucks were made out of deuces, mostly due to the fact that once the armor and guns were put on the back, the cargo capacity was pretty well used up. Many problems with worn-out driveline components due to the weight, so most gun trucks were made out of 5-tons. There were a few deuce gun trucks, though.

I suggest you get the following book: Hard Ride: the Vietnam Gun Trucks. Great book with lots of pics of Vietnam gun trucks, you can't go wrong here for research material. It will help you get up to speed on what truck to pattern your deuce after, and will help honor a fighting truck that, sadly, no longer exists.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Yea lots of good ideas. Im goin to have to get a copy of the books for reference. Im super glad at all the positive feedback to i was worried this subject might not go over to well. My plan right now is to come up with a design ( probably a few drawings then post online so yall can vote on which one looks best ) Im also scouting out a few places to get scrap steel from. Oh yea need to learn how to weld might help ( i got a few fill ins to help out if not ). I also considering steel thickness verse weight cause the deuce will only carry so much. I also have no time costraints beside not during work hours. So stay tuned to your favorite military vehicle channel! :beer: :beer:

emr

Go for it,!! Its great to see these trucks being tuned up for something interesting, i like the civy mods, but one cant enjoy something like a gun trk!! at a show or any event! as for the purist, its your truck, and You are on the right track in my eyes , its bringing back history , You would just be doing what they did, and thats what these trucks are for i think , to preserve there history for the most part, So why not just do it as u think, or as a tribute to a special trk, either way its a tribute, I think Randy

jatonka

I built Aces & Eights last year to replicate an early guntruck from Vietnam. 1967 was the year, the trucks were mostly deuces, the armor was what they could find, single wall, sand bags on the cowl and running boards and cab floor. sand bags in the bed, soon to be replaced by ammo cans full of ammo cause they weren't any heavier than wet sandbags. I use 2 front corner mount ACAV shields with 1919A-4 Browning 30s and a rear center pedestal mount M2 HB. armor is 1/4" hot rolled steel. All bolted on. The 5 tons became the preferred truck for the Guntrucks later on, around 69 and 70, They did handle the weight better, but they took an awful hurtin' in the ambushes. JT out

Yep, Ammo cans of Dirt............. they found that Sandbags.... Absorbed water... adding huge amounts of weight to the vehicle......

Vol I is out of Print. Mr. Lyles Financed the first book on his own...... used the procedes from Vol I to print Vol II..... I'm not sure how Vol III is coming at this point.

Try Amazon and or Ebay for Vol I and Maybe Vol II Now

Contact Info is here: for James Directly
http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/thehardride.msnw

vtdeucedriver

mdlbldrmatt135 said:
Yep, Ammo cans of Dirt............. they found that Sandbags.... Absorbed water... adding huge amounts of weight to the vehicle......

Contact Info is here: for James Directly
http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/thehardride.msnw
Sorry, ammo cans were exactly that..........ammo. I have never heard them filling cans full of dirt espically when they needed that ammo. Though I have been told about changing sand bags after they have been soaked with water.
Those guys were asked to do more than just protect supplies. Gun trucks had also been known to protect bridges and Fire Base perimiters on overnights. They carried as much ammo as they could get there hands on and carry.

There were many deuce gun trucks. Not all companies were 5 ton units. The 541st trans co was a deuce unit. They had many gun trucks under their command. They might not have been as many as 5 tons, but there are more then you think there were.

vtdeucedriver

Alredneck said:
Howdy all, Been thinking on what to do with my deuce and on the way home today was thinking about humvee guntrucks and the old deuce guntruck from vietnam and the likes.
So first does anybody have pics of the old guntrucks that might be helpful? I was thinking of a crew serve mount in front of the pass window so when its up you could mount a weapon or a buddy came up with a swing mount like on the sf humvees. I know the purists out there will probably say dont do it but we in the military have been modifying our trucks to meet the mission since we got off horses. I know here in the states i have no personal mission i was just wanting to do something different and unexpected. Any thoughts and pics on the subject would be much appreciated. :shock:
Where about in TN are you??????? I am in Knoxville and tho I sold my deuces, I got a fair amount of stuff comming here in the spring. If you want to build a GT, I will help but only if you are going to do it right! Yes they were a engineering marvel for the time and their crews are very proud of what they did. There are pleny of make shift GT's. We need more like John Tennis and his Aces And EIghts. Job well done.

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
My web site and a few pics of GT's

RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

I'm not saying ALL of them had it... Some did as it added Mine protection........if a mine went off..... and hit the ammo... it's even worse.............

vtdeucedriver

Re: RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

mdlbldrmatt135 said:
I'm not saying ALL of them had it... Some did as it added Mine protection........if a mine went off..... and hit the ammo... it's even worse.............
I asked another historian about this and he too has not heard about this going on in Vietnam. He did tho hear about it in Iraq when they were building trucks with plywood walls. They filled boxes with sand to help reinforce the protection.

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

Im actually at eglin afb Fl. right now. No telln when i will be back in Tn but live near memphis ( well my family lives there ). Im in no rush, research seems real important right now i havent decided on a retro viet pattern or something new. A commerative would be super cool but a new ( something never built ) would draw attention to. As for a dead line i havent set one because i never can count on the armys schedule. THeres lots of good ideas here and i have been following links and cutting and pasting pics. I am tryn to find the books also. i appreciate all the support to. I think once it is built it would be cool to take some leave and take it to some MV shows and let the VETs reminice and the civys look so people can see our good ole GI ingenuity! One thing i think will help towards a authentic guntruck is i have no access to a metal brake or big fab equip. so what ever is on hand and a torch will be doin the most work.