• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Guntruck

Re: RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

vtdeucedriver said:
mdlbldrmatt135 said:
I'm not saying ALL of them had it... Some did as it added Mine protection........if a mine went off..... and hit the ammo... it's even worse.............
I asked another historian about this and he too has not heard about this going on in Vietnam. He did tho hear about it in Iraq when they were building trucks with plywood walls. They filled boxes with sand to help reinforce the protection.
Some of the early ones in Vietnam that only had 1/4" steel wall setups...... some had twin walls and they added sandbags and sometimes ammocans of sand to add to the stopping ability of the armor. Now this is based on recolection from soem Vets and from Pics. I'll see what Pics I can find int he books over the holiday.

MarineTracs

For informative purposes, here are theoretical weights of steel plate:
1/4" = 10.21 lbs per sq ft
3/8" = 15.32 lbs per sq ft
1/2" = 20.42 lbs per sq ft
Depending on where you live in the country and how good a source you can find, mild carbon steel plate will probably run you from .45 to .55 cents per pound in stock size sheets (4' x 8', 4' x 10', 5' x 8'...etc.).
Of course, since you won't actually (hopefully) be taking live fire, you just need the illusion of being armored and the larger thickness plates will not be needed. That will cut down on weight and expenses.
I had thought (briefly) of making my Marine M37 into a gun truck (I think they called the armored M37's gun Beeps in Vietnam). However, since the only picture I could find of an actual Vietnam era Marine gun truck was a 5 ton, that thought quickly faded. Now I am content to just have a Marine M37 that will mount a M2 on a permanent mount and a M60 on a temporary mount with no plate armor.
Even though I was (actually am, as there are no ex-Marines) a Vietnam era Marine, I have been to Ft Eustis, VA for several of "The Gatherings" Vietnam era Gun Truckers Reunions to meet and mingle with them. They are a great bunch of guys. A group of us old jarheads set up a Vietnam era living history display there for the public to accent the guntrucks in attendance (normally 3-5, or so). One of my biggest honors was being asked by the Army guntruckers to fall in with them with my USMC MUTT for an 'on base' convoy. God Bless each and every one of them.
Good luck on your truck.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ace of Spades, 5 ton replica gun truck is located in Rogersville, Tennessee
Black Widow, in Florida
Satan's Lil Angel, New Jersey
Malfunction (3/4 gun truck), New Jersey
The Untouchable, New Jersey
Uncle Meat, Michigan
Proud American being built, Georgia
Psychotic Reaction (Deuce)
Daughter of Darkness (3/4 gun truck) waiting to be built in Georgia
If you are building a gun truck try to find James Lyles "Hard Ride, Volume I". It is like the bible for Vietnam guntruckers.
The book "Gun Trucks" by Timothy J. Kutta is interesting and has many photos from the U.S. Army Transportation Museum.
Ammo cans were not filled with dirt. If you can name one of over 300 gun trucks that were built in Vietnam from 1967 thru 1972, then name it. Otherwise, stop putting out mis-information that you know nothing about.

Attachments

Names........

Nancy, Maverick, King Cobra, Brutus, Satans Chariot, The Red Baron, Lil' Respect,

The information I had about the "dirt" was told to mwe by a Vet... I'm by no means saying it was Gospel. I was told it was TRIED out and then they just started using ammo as the Metal of the Bed offered Little protection and the Ammo on the floor had risk, but the risk outweighed the extra "useless" weight . They tried it like the USMC & Infantry tried the Sandbags on the floors of M113's and Amtracks. I know there's several pics out there that show Sandbags, spare Tires and Ather "stuff" between the walls on some of the double walled versions of the Ever evolving Armor they were using. In the beginning they only could get thier hands on 1/4" boiler plate so they used what they could. Which is also how they were armed. The Begged, traded Borrowed andd "stole" what they could to Arm the trucks. The XM134 Miniguns were salvaged from downed Huey gunships. M2's & M60's were easier to come by.........

jasonjc

As it seems a few on here are/were gun truckers. How do you feel about non gun truckers making replica gun trucks. I've been wanting too make one also, some time down the road. But don't want to ofend any one. I know that the crews of these trucks did alot and gave alot and just want them remembered.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jason:
Go for it, my fiend. You don't have to be correct nor use metal. Several gun trucks have been built using plywood with single wall construction. You have to build them according to your expertise.....and MONEY.
You can buy "rubber duck" .50 caliber replica guns for around $300. One of the above named gun trucks spent over $12,000 just for the fifties. He wanted to truck to be as true to the one he rode on in Vietnam.
Build it any way you want. Some of the Engineer gun trucks were 5 Ton dump trucks.
There is one guy (non guntrucker) who has an M114 hull and a 5 ton cargo truck. He would like to build it using a M113, but can't find one. I don't know of any Vietnam gun trucks using an M114, but that doesn't mean that someone didn't do it.
If you build a gun truck, and it is your own design, just let the folks know. There was a replica gun truck in an Atlanta show that looked like nothing I had ever heard about. I liked his design and give him credit for making a great looking truck. The bumper numbers were from my old unit, and had the yellow nose of the 8th Group painted on the hood. My hat is off to the builder.

Attachments

David_4x4

I think if someone built a gun truck using a 113 hull, they'd officially have the baddest military vehicle on the planet. Hands down.

vtdeucedriver

jasonjc said:
As it seems a few on here are/were gun truckers. How do you feel about non gun truckers making replica gun trucks. I've been wanting too make one also, some time down the road. But don't want to ofend any one. I know that the crews of these trucks did alot and gave alot and just want them remembered.
I am not a Gun Truck Crewmember. I was born in 1971 when these trucks were on the road. I have always been interested in Vietnam, ever since I was 10. When I finally got interested in military Vehicles and bought my M37, I started to do research. When I got a copy of Tim Kutta's book GUNTRUCKS. I found that this was a great UNKNOWN story. In 1996, I started talking to Vets over the phone and by letters when I became a Associate Member of the ATAV. I got my 1st computer in 99 and through e mails and many nights and hours in chat rooms asking questions and listening to stories. In 2000, I flew all the way to Las Vegas for their reunion. I definatly was the "KID" in the group. They would be HONORED that their trucks be built. I was told by a vet, " Jeff it was a hard struggle, we were proud and we thought we were invinsible, we were truly kings of the road, just do it right!!"

Ever since then I have been trying to "just do it right".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fSTdP_1G8

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jeff might be a "kid", but he is respected by the gun truckers. He has been involved with military vehicles for quite awhile, and does his homework and research.
There is a site for Vietnam gun trucks at:
http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_whatsnew.msnw
My first vehicular ambush I was on a 5 Ton with a 113 mounted forward in the bed called King Kong, 523rd Transportation Company. The crew's ability to move around and reload the .50s was restricted. visibility sucked. During Lam Son 719 when Khe Sahn was reopened, we had to send the truck where it could function better on more level, flat land. The road leading to Khe Sahn was dirt, winding with a lot of sharp turns and hills. The vehicle was too top heavy. Other transportation units mounted their M113s facing the rear of the truck for better weight distribution.

Attachments

jatonka

He Ugly Ranger, do you know any of the Jersey Boys? They run the Angel, Untouchable and Malfunction. One of their guys, Web Madison was on the Guntrucks in Vietnam. I built Aces & Eights, the Dead Man's Hand this past winter and run with the Jersey Boys. John T

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
John: Yep, I know the "Jersey Crew"....what a great bunch of guys. I hear from Edd, the Colonel, and Mark "LT". They told me about you and your gun truck Aces & Eights. I apologize for not including your truck in a previous post. I'm looking forward to meeting you at Pigeon Forge, Tennessee at the Gathering this coming summer. You need to tell the guys on this site how you came to name your truck Aces & Eights. That is one good lookin' gun truck.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

There is also another called "squatter swatter". Not long ago I had heard that its owner was killed in a car accident.

John, are you going to TN?????????????

Thanks ugly for the kind words..............I try.

DragonriderJT

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

If you are in Fl. you should take a trip to Jacksonville and see James lyles, who but the books Hard ride togather. No one knows more about GUNTRUCKS than him. He has alot that is not in the books yet.
SFC John Brown (R)
Guntruck Plt, 2 TC (70-71) Gunner on Big Kuhuna, Maverick

vtdeucedriver

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deuce Guntruck

Gun Trucks were pretty exclusive to Transportation units. I dont know if 1st cav did anything in specific, they very well might have. The quad mounts that were used for fire base protection. Many gun crews complained about the dolly that was used to move them were crap in the Vietnam mud. So they were often mounted in the back of 5 tons. So 1st cav might have done this with their quad mounts..............I have a few pics of quad mounts in the back of trucks that are not trans units. I will post after the holiday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks