• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

M1031CMT

EEWWWWW....that's not so nice. Can't stand those "fuel-miser"-able motors. 2-stroke or nothing, FTW!!!! :rant:
Starts first time, every time.

Parts are also very easy to get for it just about anywhere. Runs very well and mated up to that Allison automatic tranny, she easily gets down the road pretty quickly.

Not the best engine for sure, but I prefer it over the multi-fuel.

M1031CMT

If anyone is interested, looking closely at the steering box:

Says "HYDRAPOWER" and "HFB522991"

Doing a quick search online, it seems to be a very common steering box.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
WAS very common, now as hard to find as the 710 although they are out there. i have found 3 places that have the 710 with no core, from $300 to $400 price range. good part is that these are rebuilt units, not used. anyone who finds old IH trucks with the 710 box pls let me know.
tom

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like your setup uses the factory box, but adds some sort of assist on the steering shaft? How much is your kit compared to Tom's?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
so you are simply forcing the old original steering box to turn the wheels. something it was never indended to do. at least make it a cylinder assist kit. what is the price for members?
tom

jesusgatos

Tom, I think you're misunderstanding how those servos work. It's actually taking almost all the load off of the original steering box. Personally, I think something like the kit the CCE has put together is probably just about the best way possible to adapt power steering to these vehicles.

ccequipment

I have the kits for sale you can find the price on them
I think they are inline
It's all new parts and the parts are all sub assembled making it a quick and simple set up
It provides about 45 ftlbs of turning power just enough to make it easy to turn the wheels
I have a pressure relief valve built in at a preset pressure so it will not harm the steering box or other items
I have been installing these for awhile on customer trucks and we have all the bugs worked out
We have several kits ready to ship so there is no wait time
We offer full support and parts if you ever need any

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Jesse.... I must disagree when you say it takes the load off of the box; actually it's just the opposite: for a given torque value coming out at the pitman shaft that system does indeed reduce the required torque input at the steering wheel, since what is pictured is just a torque multiplier.
Or, like Tom already said: at same steering wheel effort the original steering box is now "forced" to put out increased torque. Not so good IMHO...!

G.

Heath_h49008

You are forgetting something.

The box will see the exact same amount of force as if there was a human... the amount required to turn the wheel.

When it hits the post, it's possible that servo could put out FAR more torque than the input side of the box was designed to take.

Edit... the force the box sees is only that which is required to turn the output shaft/pitman. When that shaft can no longer move, the higher output of the servo would then be applied to the box. (I hope that makes sense.)

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, UNLESS.... I am wrong and what is pictured in the right / lower corner is a cylinder that goes attached to the draglink, and the other part is just the control valve.....:???:
Guess we should see pictures of this kit installed before I put out premature opinions......:oops:

G.

Heath_h49008

Yes, UNLESS.... I am wrong and what is pictured in the right / lower corner is a cylinder that goes attached to the draglink, and the other part is just the control valve.....:???:
Guess we should see pictures of this kit installed before I put out premature opinions......:oops:

G.
No, you were right... that's an oil-to-air cooler. There can be no assist ram because there is no ports in the system to support one. That is also NOT a simple orbital valve to control an assist ram.

Not to rag on the design... I'm actually defending it.... at least as long as it doesn't rip the input shaft to shreds when you crank the wheel too far. I don't think a sheer pin to protect then box would be a good idea on the steering shaft.

:doh:

ccequipment

The box can handle it the key is setting the pressure right on the relief vavle so it will only bypass the oil if it gets to high of a pressure
If you use no relief vavle you can cause damage it you bottom it out on the steering stops

jesusgatos

Oh, you're right. I thought that was a sweet-type servo that would direct hydraulic fluid to a hydraulic cylinder that would be mounted to the axle/tie-rod. but looking closer, see that there's no ram pictured. THAT was what I think would make the best all-around setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks