• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce idle time question

dcwilkie

Anyone know how many hours the Deuce would idle on 50 gal fuel?
After the power outage here in N. Alabama, I thought it might be nice to add a 24VDC to 120VAC power inverter.

Please understand- I'm not talking about using the Deuce as a generator. I'm also not talking about running anything power-hungry. All I want is to know how long I can expect my White Diesel to idle if I can't get fuel for a while.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I think a Multi takes about 1/2 gallon a hour of Idle time. Having said that my 900 W Gen set will run at 50% load for 9 hours on one gallon. If you want to use a 472 CID engine for a power inverter... man save your self and get a the 900W $89.95 Gen set from HF

jasonjc

I run my 27"TV(old) + sat reciver + 12 fluorescent light + all the other stuff in the ET center (off but they still draw juice) + run the diesel/K1 fired space heater(10-15min per hour) for 8-12 hour off one 12volt deep cycle battery.

TexAndy

Running all that stuff, it won't be idling. It'd be way, way overkill, but it won't be idling.

For all that little stuff, why not just get a portable propane genset?

dcwilkie

Please keep in mind this was just to get an idea of how long the Deuce would idle.
I am not talking about running it continuously.
WESTECH gave me the number I needed- 1/2 gal/ hour. Thanks buddy! Theoretically I would have rougly 90 hours of use on a full tank allowing for a gallon or so to be unusable in the bottom of the tank.
As far as wet-stacking is concerned, would an hour at idle do this? If not, that could give me 90 days (1 hour per day) for the whole tank.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You also have to consider, you don't need to run the truck the whole time you use the converter. I have a 2k watt 24-110 inverter and love it.

TexAndy

Yep, or you could rig it up to charge a hellaciously deep battery bank. Give the motor something to do and give you plenty of run-time without the engine turning.

Westech

CPL
A hour or two wont hurt a thing on the multi. About 6 years ago I was installing a new knotty pine ceiling in the Cabin and I forgot my little air compresses. Well the deuce was out side so I ran that at Idle for over 10 hours just to supply air for the nailer. Way over kill but it did not phase it.

AMX

As far as wetstacking, or even the rust issue, with the j pipe, would'nt a small drilled weep hole fix both issues? Would there be any drawbacks , other than a access for water if you were driving through the lake?

steelypip

Seems like wet stacking plus weep hole equals fire hazard wherever it drips. It would fix the condensate in the pipe problem, though.

Frankly, the best solution would be to load the engine down more. Even at idle you might get the EGT up high enough burn off crap if you could put more load on the engine with, say, a PTO generator.

OTOH, if you're going to spend money on more generating capacity, why not just get a gen set? It does seem that an hour or two at a shot would probably not hurt anything, particularly if you found time to drive it around and work the engine some in between.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem I've seen with wet-stacking in a Deuce is that you don't really realize it is happening. All the fuel/crud is building up and you don't know it while it's idling. Then when you hit the accelerator to drive it, a lot of **** blows out all over your truck and whoever is standing nearby. I nailed my son-in-law about a year ago.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would recommend getting 4-6 deep cycle marine batteries and making a battery bank to run the inverter off of. That will store a lot of power and when it gets low you can then use the deuce to recharge it using a medium idle to put max power out of the alt.

You may need a charge controller on the battery bank.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

dcwilkie

With an open stack and all the rain we get here, what keeps the J-pipe from filling full of rainwater?
Seems to me a coffee can over the stack when parked wouldn't be a bad idea or maybe some sort of drain valve like a pipe plug or an oil drain plug?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks