• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce leaking oil from base of filter

rfischba1

Anyone know what my problem might be, started the duce and noticed oil leaking from the #2 oil filter canister, top nut is tight. Replacd filters about a year ago. no leaks until today. Do I need to replace the filter, maybe the gasket?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Duce leaking oil from base of filter

Try re torquing it first.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

If it has been a year I would replace the filter and gasket. They usually come as a package set anyways. You can buy the gaskets seperately from NAPA, but you have to special order them. Unless like me you order a pile after the shipping you should have just bought the filter/gasket combo.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When you do re[lace the gasket/filter, take care not to turn the canister on the gasket, it will deform it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a filter base leaking problem on a deuce multifuel. The filter bolts were tight, but a leak would still develop. We found that in changing filters, we had switched the canisters and bolts. The one canister bolt was bottoming in the filter base threads, making it seem as tight as it should be, but the bottomed threads were preventing it from putting proper pressure on the canister and gasket. We decided there was no need to have to be careful which bolt and canister went where, so we ground about 1/8" off the bottom of the offending canister bolt, curing the problem.
Regards Marti

zak

Mine were leaking from the top nut even after tightening to the proper torque. After cleaning and de-burring the can and underside of the bolt they have stopped. But I couldn't find the hard fiber washer thats under the bolt head. Why isn't this supplied with the filters?

dabtl

Take the time now to replace the filter set up with one of the spin on adapters now. The cost, initially, is a bit steep, in the area of $200 but the ease of replacing the filters makes it worthwhile.

Mine work extremely well and the oil pressure comes up immediately and not in 10 to fifteen seconds.

Think about it.

gbooth

I saw the article in the recent MV magazine. Where and who has this adaptor kit? I would plunk down the cash for one.

houdel

zak said:
But I couldn't find the hard fiber washer thats under the bolt head. Why isn't this supplied with the filters?
If you need some, check your local auto parts stores until you find one that carries the "Dorman" line of auto hardware. They have a size that will fit. The ID is the correct size, the OD is a little smaller than the original but larger than the bolt head so it works just fine.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thew "real deal" US GI filters come with the cotter pin, 2 rubber gaskets, and the hard fiber washer..
Even more of a reason to use the real stuff...

pa.rich

John Tennis came up with the idea from Oliver tractor. Two aluminum bases to spin the filters on to. Real nice and You have quicker lube to the engine because the filters will retain the oil after shut down. I dont know the price, but his name on the site I think is Jatonka?

dabtl

I used the jatonka kit on my deuce. It works extremely well and took the same amount of time to put in as changing the original filters. I am very pleased with it.

odiron makes good products, certainly, but they seem a bit more labor intensive. Not a lot, mind you, just a little more work.

I installed the odiron coolant filter last week. It was simple and quick, but did require a trip to Ace Hardware for a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter not included in the kit. Not a big deal, but a little extra effort.

Looking at the above pic of the single filter modification, it looks extremely interesting but the parts do not match the photo in the link. I might have installed that as opposed to the jatonka kit, had the pics depicted the installation as above.

But without regard to the kit, the installation of a better filter system cannot but improve your engine life.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought these bases and filters as a turn-key kit from builder77. good 5 micron filters with plenty of capacity and no leaks.

Attachments

bottleworks

dabtl said:
Looking at the above pic of the single filter modification, it looks extremely interesting but the parts do not match the photo in the link. I might have installed that as opposed to the jatonka kit, had the pics depicted the installation as above.
Hmm... Do you mean the one additional 90 deg fitting that I added? That was just because I wanted the hose to run on top of the filter, not below it. That one fitting I added actually stopped you from buying it? :roll: Past the one fitting, it is exactly the same as OD Iron sells.

alphadeltaromeo

I have also installed the jatonka kit and am very pleased with oil pressure time. My pressure starts to build at either 2 or 3 seconds and one second later it's up. This has been consistent over 30 or so starts. I did get the NAPA filters which are 16 micron...not as good as the 5 micron that builder has or even the filtration performance of ODIron, but good pressure build over those. All three options are really good choices.

The spin-ons are excellent.

rfischba1

When I change the oil filters should I expect a lot of oil leaking out of the filter canister, or will the oil have drained back into the engine?

dabtl

If you are running stock filters the oil will return to the crank case.

There is always some oil spilling in changing filters.

deuceman51

Just curious, who is builder 77 for the oil filter kit? I got the price on the kit from John Tennis. Looks like a really great job, but cost is a bit high. How much cheaper are the spin on filters compared to the stock military ones from napa? It could take a long time to pay off the conversion kit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks