• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Loading Ramps?

Adrian A

building ramps

So. I have decided to build a s et of ten foot ramps that have a Upper and lower square tubing that are attached by triangulated braces like a railroad trestle. I have them set at a height of four inches apart between the upper and lower. They will be a foot wide i´ll use expanded mesh on top for traction I think. I saw someone load a 4x4 sidekick with a set of eight foot ramps in a deuce with 46" tires. It worked slick. Ill post a pick of his set up.

Attachments

Adrian A

building ramps

So. I have decided to build a set of ten foot ramps that have a Upper and lower square tubing that are attached by triangulated braces like a railroad trestle. I have them set at a height of four inches apart between the upper and lower. They will be a foot wide.I'll use expanded mesh on top for traction I think. I saw someone load a 4x4 sidekick with a set of eight foot ramps in a deuce with 46" tires. It worked slick.

barefootin

Any reason you went with 10' and not 12'? It makes a big difference. With my 12's I can comfortably walk up them, load a tractor, or even unload items with a hand truck.

Adrian A

The only reason i was thinking 10' was because i was going to put a 2 ft lock box in the front of the bed so i can secure items. Kind of like a pickup tool box. The ramp that he was using was super strong and easily loaded a side by side into my truck with no clearance issues. Im trying to find the balance of weight strength and angle i had not considered walking up the ramps.

barefootin

The only reason i was thinking 10' was because i was going to put a 2 ft lock box in the front of the bed so i can secure items. Kind of like a pickup tool box. The ramp that he was using was super strong and easily loaded a side by side into my truck with no clearance issues. Im trying to find the balance of weight strength and angle i had not considered walking up the ramps.
I understand. I slide one of my 12's up each side when I have the box in it (box stops 6" from side rails). I just wanted to make sure you knew the 2ft makes a big difference when walking or loading something with a low clearance like a tractor with a deck on it or pallet dolly.

emr

When I did my aluminum ramps for my first deuce, I went to the trailer store that also sold ramps . First I measured the length of bed, 12ft 2 or something, Then I went and said, i want a 16inch wide ramp so i dont have to worry about being on the edge all the time, a 1500 lb load capacity for each one, they are primarily for the mule but want enough for the M 38 when needed, and at the end of the total length I want an angled 12 inch flat section so when I drive to the edge of the truck my first wheels are ON the ramp not pushing it, these have worked well for 10 years so far, May be pricy to some, to me worth every cent. Safety, light weight, about 700 bucks, Wood will never last that long, and is just to chancy, Never want to lift more than I have to with steel, If I ever had to drive more weight on them I would just block the center and double there capacity. Now that I only have one 5 ton in the stable, they work fine since I have experience with them, But I would not mind them being 14ft with the added height.

barefootin

IMG00435-20120310-1659.jpgIMG00434-20120310-1658.jpg

Just picked up to fiberglass 14 ' loading ramps. They are rated at 3000lbs each.

That is what I have also, I have two sets and a single of the 12' ones from Rampco with a capability of 2800lbs each ramp or 6,000lbs hooked together. Two hooked and pinned means I can load a 12k pound load. I use them for getting the tractor across the creek after a "wash out" also. They are about 65-70lbs each. I got mine "used" from a local moving company really cheap. The anti-skid material was worn and they do not resurface them for liability reasons.

Last edited:

Lonesome715

That looks like a lot of weight. I would like ot biuld a set I can handle on my own and can handle the wieght of small truck like a Ranger or a 151.

Vintage iron

These are Melcher Fiberglass ramps. They have a slight arch in them, which will help to keep you car from bottoming out during that last transition on to the truck. These are at least 16' long. I went to their site and they show them being used to load a SUV and being put together as a loading ramp. These ramps are heavy!

Melcher ramps 001.jpgMelcher ramps 002.jpgMelcher ramps 004.jpgMelcher ramps 003.jpg

Vintage iron

Thanks Barefootin for posting your pictures too! Now people won't think I am crazy, yes they are rated at 3000lbs for each ramp :) They make aluminum ramps to do the same job at half the weigh, but I got a great deal on these!

barefootin

Thanks Barefootin for posting your pictures too! Now people won't think I am crazy, yes they are rated at 3000lbs for each ramp :) They make aluminum ramps to do the same job at half the weigh, but I got a great deal on these!
I'll be crazy with you. I love mine and keep one set in the back at all times. We picked up a chest freezer for my mom at Lowes a few weeks ago and the guys loading it thought it was great. We put the freezer on my dolly and rolled it right up, strapped it in, and we were off in minutes.