• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce M35 Air Brake Modification

bimble

Hi

I'm looking to convert my M35 to full air brakes. Does anyone know of any suitable replacements for the wheel cylinders to connect to air actuators or any complete kits for this. I would prefer just the wheel cylinder replacements as we can make all the rest quite easily with standard parts.

I remember finding a kit online years ago but not needing it then and cant locate it now, anyone know who does it?

Many thanks
Mike

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the same but memphis makes a kit for the 5 tons and it's way too expensive.

hklvette

If you want an airbrake Deuce-like vehicle, my recommendation would be to do what Floridianson did to his 920, or start with a 916 (same truck minus the pusher axle and shorter overall length).

my 2cents

Westech

CPL
lol there is no wheel cylinder the converts fluid brakes to air... where do people get this stuff. Air brakes work by using a external chamber..... Google "air brake chamber" and do some research on how they work. If you want full air brakes you will need to change all of your axles out, or like what was stated above, buy a different truck.

jesusgatos

Maybe not an easy upgrade, or worth the trouble. But I've seen 2.5-ton rockwell axles with 8-lug hubs, with disc brakes, with custom 10-lug hubs, with 5-ton rockwell spindles/hubs, etc. Only saying that just about anything is possible...

M813A1

Just look for a set of M939 5 Ton Series truck axles they come with full air brakes !! You could look for a Good M939 parts parts truck and use those axles !!

bimble

lol there is no wheel cylinder the converts fluid brakes to air... where do people get this stuff. Air brakes work by using a external chamber..... Google "air brake chamber" and do some research on how they work. If you want full air brakes you will need to change all of your axles out, or like what was stated above, buy a different truck.

Actually i am fully aware of how air brakes work, and it will be possible to change an M35, what you have to do is replace the hydraulic wheel cylinder with a mechanical lever assembly which has an arm protruding from the back of the chamber which is connected to the air actuator. This is the part i am looking for, and how all air brakes work with drum brakes (rather than a hydraulically operated cylinder its a mechanical lever)..... really if anyone has done this and knows of a part from another commercial truck that fits or can be adapted then its much easier than fabricating something.

As for getting another truck, already got this one and re-powered it to a 325HP cummins L10 amongst many other things... so not really an option... already rebuilt the brakes to a better air over hydraulic system but with the weight were carrying air brakes would be preferable.

jwaller

if you wish to improve the system then replace the air pack with a hydrovac. thats about where things end as far as sorta simple upgrades.

Everything else gets really expensive and into prototyping your own parts. not what I want in a vehicle this size, weight and, energy when it comes to running into something.

I have never seen or heard of any lever arm to replace the stock slave cylinder in the hub to put an air brake chamber in place of it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Upgrade to the new dual master cylinder and use disc brakes on each axle.....I think a SS member posted (may have been on the old forum) a list of parts to do the swap...used off the shelf parts. I think he used parts off of a Ford F-450 or 650.

If that won't stop it you got too much speed or too much weight.:driver:

DirtMagnet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us here are not experts.

abh3

If you are brave and have lots of extra money you might try changing the entire backing plates to an air setup from something with the same diameter drums. If your brother-in-law owns a heavy truck salvage yard it'll be easier figuring out what you need. That's just the beginning, then you'll need a foot valve, front limiting valve, park valve, maybe a whole dual setup w/ dryers, etc. depending on the year of the Deuce and applicable DOT regs. I can think of better ways to spend money on these trucks, like 5.9 Cummins or power steering...

As someone who's going around and around with state & federal jackholes about NHTSA safety regs and title/tag for an A3, I wonder what serious mods like you are talking about could mean for the hobby if something went horribly wrong and someone got hurt...

saddamsnightmare

May 8th, 2010.

Good luck on the conversion, with the air over hydraulics, if you lose air you at least have hydraulics...... With air brakes if you lose air you are gonna have a surprising lock up, and you'll have to cage the brakes to tow it. I would think that the liability issue with a non spec conversion would scare off most people, because if you do get into a wreck and the brake system is inoperative and not original, I suspect your insurance company may just kiss you off.... and lawyers can be such sharks.
I never saw a problem with an M35A2 stock brake system if it is maintained correctly, except for the lack of split system design as seen on the ESP/USAF deuces, which was an excellent idea. Just my2cents worth, but I really don't want a frankendeuce cruising behind either of my trucks with a home built brake system......

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May 8th, 2010.

Good luck on the conversion, with the air over hydraulics, if you lose air you at least have hydraulics...... With air brakes if you lose air you are gonna have a surprising lock up, and you'll have to cage the brakes to tow it. I would think that the liability issue with a non spec conversion would scare off most people, because if you do get into a wreck and the brake system is inoperative and not original, I suspect your insurance company may just kiss you off.... and lawyers can be such sharks.
The other way of thinking when it comes to changing a deuce to full air is that when you start losing air pressure the low pressure buzzer will warn you ahead of time so you can pull over in time. With a hydraulic system when you lose enough fluid you've lost your brakes too. Plus if you spend a lot of time towing trailers with air brakes might as well make the whole truck set up for them. Six of one, half a dozen of another I guess. I think a full air brake system is a little more straight forward then the system used in a deuce. But then again I deal with full sized semi trucks with air brake systems. :D

Ruppster

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many moons ago, there was a company or rebuilder that converted deuces to full air brakes. Wish I could remember who it was.. :(
Memphis used to offer an air brake kit for the deuce. It's been over a decade since I've seen anything on one. IIRC they were in the 5 grand price range.

Happy Motoring!

wrenchbender

some of the deuces are running around with modified wheels, already a FRANKINDEUCE. the laws as i interpret them say modified no good.
that said i have no issue changing things to suite meee.there are 100s of thousands trucks on the highways and biways with air brakes. a proven system that works well. i would rather have a air system truck and trailer versus vacume over hydraulic system that requires a vac pump. and the second hyd. over electric systyem. now my take on building a new air system the front brakes on certain highway tractors have a narrower width shoe than the rear and the backing plate "proper name mounting plate" on some of the trucks are removable. this will allow it to be bolted onto the recipient axle with a little drilling and welding. air systems are safer than hydraulic. example broken air line in field. dubble the hose over and clamp off with a set of locking pliers. even with a leaking line the system by redundat design will replenish the air and keep the system operable.and finnaly cage off the affected pot and go.brake a oil line and pinch off line, the system builds 2-3000 psi and oil will leak past the pinch. eventually you run out of oil and no brakes. and there is something to be said for trailer brakes.
the complete system can be pillaged from an old truck for a reasonable price.
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks