• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce manufacturer

PWM

I have looked at a lot of Deuce’s and some 5-tons. Most are manufactured by Am General Kaiser-Jeep etc. On my deuce’s data plate it says “Manufactured by General products division Jeep corporation”. The word “Kaiser” does not appear anyplace on the data plate. All of my paper work says it was made in 1972, I thought Kaiser-Jeep stopped making them in 1970. The tags on the axles say manufactured in 1971. I tried to get a picture of the plate, but it is so faded it did not photograph well. Does anyone else have a truck like mine, made by Jeep, or is mine some freak of nature

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an excellent article written on just this subject. It's in the current edition of Military vehicles Magazine. The article was written by renowned deuce expert David Doyle who also is a member here. From what I recall of his readings, the general products division are usually 1970. What other numbers do you have. If you don't mind, post the complete VIN numbers from the data plate as well as the contract number. You can also search this site as David has posted answers to questions many times.

PWM

Thanks for the information, I had a feeling it was something like that. My VIN is
04F-31371-0539-11072
Contract number DAAE 06-70-C-0001

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by what I've learned from David, I would surmise that your truck is a 1970. You see the 70 in the middle of the contract number, thats of course the date of the contract. The 04F31371 is the reg number and is assigned when the truck is actually put into service. The last 2 numbers indicate 1971. Based on that and that it is a General Products truck, my guess would be 1970, but certainly no later than 1971.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Close Kenny - the truck in question was built on a 1970 contract, but it is a 1971 model, as you correctly noted is indicated by the registration number, as well as the axle dates.

General Products Division existed from March 26, 1970 until March 31, 1971, when AM General was formed, although GPD data plates were probably used for a short time after the change.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

martin

Deuce manufacturers

Hi
I wondered if anyone could please scan the article and email it to me as I cannot seem to find the magazine in the UK.
I am trying to buy an M109 and age is critical to avoid 'Imperial' interest!!
Thanks,
Martin8462003@btinternet.com

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Deuce manufacturers

It would be illegal for anyone to scan and email the article to you, that is, a violation of copyright law. However, if you were to ask the publisher - they would likely send you a copy (they view these things as incentives - if you get a copy, there is a chance you'll subscribe) - or, you could ask the copyright holder - in this case me - and I'll send you a copy!

Not to derail this thread - but guys - before asking things like this - always try to find the author and ask them. I know a lot of writers - and everyone I know would say "sure, I'll send it to you." However, seeing postings saying "Please scan this and such and send it to me" almost always are offensive - even though they aren't intended that way.

I know that for most people publishing and copyright law are a mystery - but these laws are how we (full-time authors) support our families.

When we read requests like this - and I know that this is not how Martin meant it - but legally (and financially) this is the same as saying "I can't find an injection pump, would one of you guys take one off of David's truck and send it to me?"

I'm not flaming Martin here - just pointing out a frequently overlooked, and abused, aspect of this.

Off my soapbox now - and Martin, I fully understand the difficulties of locating an off-shore publication, and the material you've asked for is in you email box.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember a post from David D a long time ago talking about a short run multi-fuel deuce that was really pretty hard to find. Was it the 370 days of General Products Div? Or another, maybe the Lansing ones?

91W350

My 71 is a General Products Division. It is a nice driving, solid old deuce. I fell lucky to have it, just wish I had old smoky's engine in it. 8)

197thhhc

It would be illegal for anyone to scan and email the article to you, that is, a violation of copyright law. However, if you were to ask the publisher - they would likely send you a copy (they view these things as incentives - if you get a copy, there is a chance you'll subscribe) - or, you could ask the copyright holder - in this case me - and I'll send you a copy!

Not to derail this thread - but guys - before asking things like this - always try to find the author and ask them. I know a lot of writers - and everyone I know would say "sure, I'll send it to you." However, seeing postings saying "Please scan this and such and send it to me" almost always are offensive - even though they aren't intended that way.

I know that for most people publishing and copyright law are a mystery - but these laws are how we (full-time authors) support our families.

When we read requests like this - and I know that this is not how Martin meant it - but legally (and financially) this is the same as saying "I can't find an injection pump, would one of you guys take one off of David's truck and send it to me?"

I'm not flaming Martin here - just pointing out a frequently overlooked, and abused, aspect of this.

Off my soapbox now - and Martin, I fully understand the difficulties of locating an off-shore publication, and the material you've asked for is in you email box.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
This was very good information and the way you explained it was very respectful of Martin. It gives me hope for humanity.

SoundGuy

So would someone mind taking the Injector Pump off of Dave's truck and sending it to me? LOL i am just kidding. I constantly have to explain the same copyright laws for music to people. I have an AM general. I love it, but I wish it was a Kieser so i could tell people it was a Jeep. I love jeeps.

Big Z

I've taken it on some spins and had some friends along with me a couple times, but no serious treks. As long as I can take it to the deer check-in station next season with a bed-full of success, I will be happy :mrgreen:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't think the question is answered though. There were at least 12 manufacturers. GPD was a short period of time but they made a ton of them. DD specifically made a comment on how few of one there was, I just can't find it. I'm thinking it was #9.

1. Reo Motors
2. Studebaker
3. Studebaker-Packard
4. Utica-Bend
5. Curtis Wright
6. Kaiser Jeep
7. Jeep Corp.
8. General Products
9. Lansing Div/White
10. AM General
11. Bombadier
12. Kia

AaronW

DD specifically made a comment on how few of one there was, I just can't find it. I'm thinking it was #9.

1. Reo Motors
2. Studebaker
3. Studebaker-Packard
4. Utica-Bend
5. Curtis Wright
6. Kaiser Jeep
7. Jeep Corp.
8. General Products
9. Lansing Div/White
10. AM General
11. Bombadier
12. Kia
I also remember that post or article. In fact, after reading it I sent DD a PM to see if he wanted any data from my '63 Lansing 109. Sadly, no reply. I know he is a busy guy.