• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Mods in preparation for 2010 GA Rally

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my preparation for the 2010 GA Rally I wanted to do a few modifications to the deuce to make the 14 +/- hour drive a little more bearable. I decided to snap a few pics of what I have done so far and what is still on-going.

First off, I went to the local Pull-A-Part yard and snagged a couple of seats from a Honda Accord to make driving a little more comfortable. The drivers seat is going to be just a tad more cramped for me, but these trucks never were designed for someone of my size to drive them anyway.

Next I finally installed a pyro. I bought it from Auber Instruments in GA. It's the 24 volts model, so it works perfectly with the deuce electrical system. I grabbed a hot wire from the air pressure switch since it's hot as soon as you turn on the main switch. I also picked up a dash light input to dim the display for driving after dark. This was easy enough, I just jumped off of the one dash light right next to the display. I tested the display in at work to verify that 12 or 24 volts would work the dimming circuit, so the lower voltage of the dash lights on dim will still do the trick and dim the display.

I also installed a vernier cable in place of the stock throttle cable. Now I have an infinitely adjustable throttle (within the range of the throttle of course). This will act as a poor mans cruise control for those long stretches of highway between here and Georgia. I got a cable from Gimpyrobb to use, but the ones he had would not reach the hole in the floor from the stock position. Luckily we use these cables at work too, so I was able to get a longer one from work and use the knob from the one I got from Gimpy (the ones at work are huge and they are pretty much universal).

Also, today I decided to put on the bows and finally throw on the cargo cover I picked up at the Haspin Rally this summer. I thought I got a heck of a good deal on it at the time aua. I paid $75 for a 3 color camo cover in pretty decent shape. The seller thought it was a deuce cover, but apparently he never measured it. Since he said it was a deuce cover, I didn't either, so I wound up buying a really nice 5 ton cover instead of the deuce cover I thought I was getting :oops::oops::oops::oops:. Luckily I live in Amish country and there is an Amish fellow just a few miles away from me who makes custom boat covers and truck tarps. I had taken it to him a couple months ago and had him re-stitch the front window that was coming loose. He did that for $40. Today I took it back and explained to him what the problem was and showed him the marks I had made at the rear-most bow. He is going to cut the 4 feet out of it and reattach the back end of the cover for me for $100. Hopefully my marks are in the right location and it fits properly when I get it back. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress of the cover.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton cargo bed is 14' long.

2.5 ton cargo bed is 12'long

4 feet removed ? Maybe you have an M36 LWB 2.5ton cover?

Whatever it is, you did measure twice(before cutting once), right?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the M36 had a 14 foot bed?? You're probably right though. All I know is, it's WAY too long for an M35

I'm not doing the cutting, I marked it at the rear bow and said...This seam needs to be here!! Meaning the rear seam for the rear flap.

phil2968

I installed a similar throttle cable in my 109 for the LONG grueling 8 or 9 hour trip to 10SSGR!:wink:
(Free from work as well.) I will have to contend with the springer seat though! Are you bringing the wife and daughter? My two boys will need playmates! Recovery4x4 is bringing is boys, I think we'll need a daycare at the rally!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a similar throttle cable in my 109 for the LONG grueling 8 or 9 hour trip to 10SSGR!:wink:
(Free from work as well.) I will have to contend with the springer seat though! Are you bringing the wife and daughter? My two boys will need playmates! Recovery4x4 is bringing is boys, I think we'll need a daycare at the rally!
I wish they were coming Phil, the wife would rather go visit her parents for the weekend though. Maybe next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My younguns will be in school, I'm flying solo! Wish I had time to work on the deuce. I'll be lucky to find the time to fill the fuel tank!

AZDeuce

I like your throttle control and seat mods. I installed 2004 Mustang seats that look identical to yours except mine are grey. Man what a difference in the ride, I hope to make a 18 hour trip (9 up/9 back) at the end of the month, I'm almost looking forward to it!

I already done that trip once on the box seat, NEVER AGAIN!

That throttle cable looks a lot more user friendly than the original set up.

I know there's threads on it, but I haven't searched them out yet either. From what I've read so far just by browsing, it's a temperature sensor that you install in your exhaust just after the turbo to monitor exhaust temperatures for dangerous temperature levels.

Of course, I could be totally wrong

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know there's threads on it, but I haven't searched them out yet either. From what I've read so far just by browsing, it's a temperature sensor that you install in your exhaust just after the turbo to monitor exhaust temperatures for dangerous temperature levels.

Of course, I could be totally wrong
Not totally wrong, you just want the pyro probe in front of the turbo.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tom, what are you dragging behind you on your trip to the peach state?
I'm dragging my ENG-3 converted generator trailer along so we have some kind of power for the rally. Anybody who wants to tap in, just bring some cords.

I talked to Gimp a few days ago and we're still working out something for the trailers...At least he is I should say. I think he was trying to con DH into coming over to Cinci and convoying down with us.

Hopefully my back is feeling better by next week. I just threw it out pretty bad yesterday getting some UMO for my fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks