• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce moves 240,000 lb load

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what the record is but I may be in the running for the biggest load moved with a M35a2.

we needed to move a 240,000 lb autoclave out of a building, on the second floor. I needed a winch truck so I put the deuce to earning it's keep.

when these pics were taken, we had moved it about 10'. That's as far as we can go until the cranes arrive next week.

Attachments

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the skates under the corners, a steel base, and some snatch blocks, I guess your deuce winch didn't strain all that much. Still, that is a heckofa pull!

It's good to see the deuce at work!

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The math calculates line pull to be about 12,000 lb. There is some safety factor in that number so actual pull is probably less.

All the pulling is being done by a 10,500 HMMWV hyd winch mounted at the front of the bed. This line is running through one block to change direction, to the autoclave, through another block to double the pull, and back to the anchor point.

There is a 9k electric winch attached to the deuce hitch. It there to hold back just in case the autoclave rolls on it's on, to stop it.

All the front PTO winch is doing is anchoring the truck to a building column in case it starts to slide. We opted to do all the actual pulling with the hyd winch for smother operation and more control.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I think Adam (ferro) has the record, a locomotive and nine ballast cars pulled off a barge in Norfolk with a deuce. If I remember correctly it was somewhere north of 2,500,000 pounds. Locomotive on the barge would not start, and the switch engine at the dock decided it would take a vacation at the same time. Adam had driven Bella in that day, and said something like the southern magic words,".. and watch this". All wheel drive, low range, first gear and a steady pressure once all the brakes had been released. Once the first car moved, the inertia got each of the others past the coefficient of friction one at the time, and nine cars moving overcame the direct drive of the locomotive engine long enough to get everything on the dock, so the barge could depart.

tommys2patrick

It looks like you may have fabricated a lift beam for the bottom of the tank. I imagine you had another lift and skate on the far side of the tank. Probably multiple beams and skates along the length of the tank. Perhaps multiple lifts in stages till you were able to get skates under the permanent feet of the autoclave? sorry for all the questions, I suppose these could be competitive trade secrets. just find this very interesting.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No trade secrets. Simple as jacking your car up to change a tire or moving a fridge on a dolly, just on a much larger scale. Of course, the shear size complicates things but the principles are the same.

Yes, we fabricated a saddle to fit the radius of the autoclave to jack from. Another thing you don't see is the floor support for the second floor. Even though we are working on a flat concrete floor, we have to insure the dollies are rolling directly over the support beams. Otherwise, we risk falling through the floor.

Sharky1528

WOW !!! Getting it done.....

The math calculates line pull to be about 12,000 lb. There is some safety factor in that number so actual pull is probably less.

All the pulling is being done by a 10,500 HMMWV hyd winch mounted at the front of the bed. This line is running through one block to change direction, to the autoclave, through another block to double the pull, and back to the anchor point.

There is a 9k electric winch attached to the deuce hitch. It there to hold back just in case the autoclave rolls on it's on, to stop it.

All the front PTO winch is doing is anchoring the truck to a building column in case it starts to slide. We opted to do all the actual pulling with the hyd winch for smother operation and more control.

DrillerSurplus

Very impressive- when you get into moving/lifting REALLY heavy things, you really have to think things through.

Looking at the autoclave nosed up to the edge of the second floor in post#2 makes me think you are going to have to take the roof off the building for the cranes to lift it out. Is that the plan?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very impressive- when you get into moving/lifting REALLY heavy things, you really have to think things through.

Looking at the autoclave nosed up to the edge of the second floor in post#2 makes me think you are going to have to take the roof off the building for the cranes to lift it out. Is that the plan?
The autoclave will go out that hole in the wall you see. We will roll the one end out through the door, hook onto it with one crane, continue rolling it out the door, and when we get to the other end, attach the other crane. From there it will go to the ground, in position to be loaded on a massive trailer.

I'll be sure to post pics of the process. We have the cranes scheduled to set it out of the building Thursday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks