• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on nitro

mudguppy

exactly what do you mean by "nitro system"? do you mean nitrous oxide as a fuel catalyst or nitro-menthanol as a fuel source?

mudguppy

nitrous oxide as a fuel catalyst
nitrous in a diesel is only good for two things:
  1. help spool a large turbo quicker, and/or
  2. provide O2 in excess of what the current turbo arrangement can provide based on the available fuel.
so, unless you have either of these two conditions, nitrous oxide would be a waste of time (for fruitful gains as opposed to harmful side-effects).

propane is also a waste of time unless you were using it to lower operating costs by displacing diesel consumption for propane consumption.

mudguppy

yes, it can slightly when "fogged" into the intake charge. in reality, the fuel shouldn't be that cold when it enters because care needs to be taken to ensure that the LPG is vaporized (usually by engine coolant).

but, propane is a fuel source. unless you are lacking fuel through your injection system, propane will just put you into an over-fuel situation quite easily. it can be done (it is done, don't know on deuces, but...) but it takes a very accurate metering system to be worry free or a lot of attention required. combustion pressures are also a concern - propane burns faster than diesel.

probably any gains you may experience from cooling the intake charge are immediately lost with higher egt's. many people have built their own "home-made" propane injection systems with both fantastic and horrible results.

i think at the end of the day, it's pretty much a hastle to worry about a dual fuel system. with fluctuating fuel and LPG prices, it probably will lend to a lower operating cost, but there is a lot of leg-work involved with storing/refueling propane on a vehicle.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In addition, with our intake manifolds "cooled" by the coolant in the motor, I would imagine that it wouldn't see much drop in temp.

Dieselsmoke

These engines already have issues with cylinder pressure, even with the updated headgaskets. Adding propane or nitrous is only going to multiply the problem.

Westech

CPL
:ditto: The head bolts stretch even with stock turbos. With a big cylinder pressure boost Im sure your going to have some problems. I understand turning up the fuel some, making sure the valves are adjust just right, larger air cleaners and all the new type of filters, adjusting the timing some.. but all this talk every day about a "super Multi hot rod" man this engine just not going to handle modern day diesel spanking.

drewmech

:ditto:If your going "juice the deuce" just be sure to get multiple angles atleast 1 high speed camera and have a camera in the cab with you. I want to see this. :popcorn:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but all this talk every day about a "super Multi hot rod" man this engine just not going to handle modern day diesel spanking.
I know what you're saying about the mutifuel not being able to handle it but it's a "gearhead's" nature to try and get more HP out of any engine. If the multifuel turned out 1,000hp stock there would be people on here trying to get 2,000hp out of it :-D. Or atleast "arm chair" engine building.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks