• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce paddle wheel?

panshark

I've been studying on taking some spare duece rims and welding something up that would allow for ultimate traction capability, in the event that I get bogged down and stuck.

It would need to be a one- to two-man operation of installing the modded rims on the outside of a singled out tire, to allow the duece to self-extricate using the "log chained through the rim" principle. Having a spare couple of rims specifically re-designed to defeat the "round wheel" concept would prevent possible damage to the valve stems.

I've gotten myself stuck before, and I was able to jack the tire up above ground level, so I don't think I'd have a clearance problem while installing. Question #1: how many protruding points would be most effective to work a duece out of a mucky situation? Question #2:how many special rims would get the job done?

I might be nuts for trying to design a system like this, but in my mind it would serve other purposes, like "super-chocks", emergency outriggers, etc.

Suggestions welcome! I know, I know, the thread may be worthless without pics...

wjruth

I have seen the log chained to the tire, but I'm not quite sure what you want to design. Are the second set of rims going to have some type of bar that extends out from the rim?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall a doodlebug that was used as a skidder, it had outer duals that were modified rims designed like a paddle wheel.

It might work.

I have also seen an outer rim used as a winch drum. I think the vehicle had separate brakes on either side.

AMX

JC Whitney used to sell a drum (smaller than the wheel) that you bolted on the hub and used like a winch. I have seen two used at a time to pull a vehicle very straight.

Danger Ranger

OK, in the 1940s John Deere used a similar Idea for some of their smaller tractors. The models L, and LI used these, they were called Mud Lugs, I believe. They bolted on like a dual rim, but were just small enough that the tractor could go down the road without it digging in or making the ride rough. When the tire sank a bit in mud, then the lugs would reach for traction...

My thought is that it should be able to be applied to a deuce, assuming you make your own the same way....you're not crazy, just creative[thumbzup]:wink:

Attachments

cornrichard

You might consider a rim with some type of solid loop welded to it. You could install it yourself and then beat a 4x4 or a bar of steel in it. That way you wouldn't have to handle the whole mess and get the digger portion in the ground at the same time you line up the lugs.

bones1

Maybe a device you could leave mounted that would only be activated when stuck (centrifugal force would expand or open the paddle lugs. Of course rpm above road speeds, spinning tires, would have to be reached to activate and expand the lugs.

panshark

ruth-yes, there would be some type of bar that extended out from the rim. After looking at Danger Ranger's picture (thanks for digging up the picture!) I'm thinking that one bar--providing two traction points--may be insufficient to effectively dig myself out. My revised idea would be to possibly weld several pieces of angle iron of equal length in a piggy-back order around the wheel, giving it several points of contact. 2 wheels would have opposite designs, making them unidirectional, meaning they would be bolted up depending on which direction you'd want to go.

Bones-It seems that back in the 80's there were some toy trucks made that fit your idea, they had little claws extend from the tires to provide extra traction.

WM-thanks for zapping my case of laziness, I scanned through the manual, the term I was lacking earlier was sheave. I'm aiming towards fabbing up a multiple-sheave wheel.

These tires would most likely be heavier than all get-out, bumping up the requirement from 1-2 man to 2-3 man operation.

robert c neth

Banned
if your down to your axles and have to dig holes to install these what are they gonna bite on.i would use the money to buy a winch faster and safer,but good luck with your idea .

Danger Ranger

I'm gonna stick with what I shared before....weld up some rims like the mud lugs in my pics, and it could? possibly, be a one-man operation. Just bolt em up before going mudding or off road. Trying to wrestle somethig on while in the mud, stuck, and/or in a hole would be silly, and hard to do!:)

Make sure they are a smaller diameter than the tires, so you can go, and won't have to worry about getting there, or making a mess before you are stuck...

Anyhow, its up to you, so good luck, and keep us updated!!!

KsM715

if your down to your axles and have to dig holes to install these what are they gonna bite on.i would use the money to buy a winch faster and safer,but good luck with your idea .

Thats kind of what I was thinking. If your sitting on the pumpkin, in the mud its going to be **** trying to dig enough space to install the thing. Those must be some pretty good friends to get in there and help you man handle that whell and try to install it then only to figure oout that all the ground that it needs to grab has now been moved by you and your shovel.

panshark

Dano- what the heck was that toy called?

Danger ranger-my father in law has suggested that I mount up my spare 9.00's in exactly the same manner you prescribe, before I leave to go have fun. I could see some heads turning on that one. Sounds kinda like a Bill Ingvall joke about a flat tire...

Doc-My wife had a panic attack the first time she saw my truck (of course, I did make her get in and go on a ride with me, I kind of snookered her into it). Her little brother is a different story, he was in cahoots with me the last time we buried it up to the floorboards, but he's still got another 15 months left on his missionary hitch in Northern Georgia. That being said, if anyone around Atlanta needs some free Soldier B work done by an OD fan going through withdrawals, PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.

Jeff- My secret weapon to changing a tire when bogged down is a cast aluminum locomotive jack that has a low and high lifting point. On my previous adventure I was able to get it up high enough to stick thick logs under the tire, fat lot of good it did me.

Last edited:

robert c neth

Banned
the reason i didnt agree with you is i have seen this on mud trucks before and depending on the mud or whatever your stuck in all the paddles do is dig big holes .we have a deep swamp here at the local 4x4 club and all thats been tried even 55 gallon barrels with paddles welded on them what finally made it through was my bobbed deuce .it had 2x2 angle iron welded to tire chains acrossed the wheels and even in that slop the engine barely had enough power to turn them .had dual wheels front and rear. good luck on your ideas.

panshark

dang robert, you might be just the man I need to talk to! do you have any pictures of your setup? It seems like people can never agree on which setup to use, I think it's mainly due to geography. Out here in Idaho, it seems like only 2 things will get you stuck (barring getting high-centered on a rock): snow/ice and marshy areas around rivers and creeks. I got stuck in a marshy area, it was firm enough to walk on and keep your feet dry, but a few inches down was pure sucking muck.

How was it having the front dualled? What would you have done different?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks