• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce registry

Should the MadHatter start a Deuce (or other) registry?

• Yes, a Deuce registry would be cool

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Nah.... don't waste the time

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Yes, start a massive one for EVERY mil vehicle.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Why am I even considering taking this poll?

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadHatter

Curious if there is a Deuce registry out there. A web site called "Green Six" had one going, but the site is AWOL. Is there one out there on the web or should I (re)start one? Is there a demand for one to even bother? I know there's one for the M-jeep world. Being a web designer it wouldn't be much to start one.

AceHigh

Count me out. I don't post much about what "toys" I have, guns, trucks and so on. It is real easy to find out, but why make it too easy?

On August 17, 2009 a member posted about getting a visit by a few federal agents. He stated: "I have always had the strong belief that the less people “know” about you the better off you are so I tend to keep these subject close to home and/or amongst other persons that I KNOW". I am not at all paranoid but these are kind of strange times. Maybe it is just me, and I will post pics from time to time, but no registry.

Just my simple opinion. :beer:

sandcobra164

Since getting my Deuce, the local police ride out here about 10 times more often. I don't really mind that since I live in a pretty rural area and I'm gone most of the day. We are a watched community and as cool as a registry sounds, there just seems to be too much focus on us already. We are weird for wanting these trucks and it seems alot of law enforcement are just waiting to zoom in on us. HOOAH!!!

MadHatter

Understandable

AceHigh: Fully understandable. The Federales know ALL about me anyway:
ATF: Possessor license for explosives (professional pyrotechnician (fireworks))
NH DOT: School Bus Driver Certificate & Hazardous Materials Endorsement on my CDL.
Local Police up thru to Interpol: background checks several times a year for the above two things and a couple others. Not counting the NICS checks in years past. Personally I'm very well known in the area as a Life Member of a local sportsmens club (Treasurer from 1998 thru 2009), member of the Sons of the American Legion (Past District Commander), a nominee for Director of the local chapter of the Legion Riders... and my job is a high profile one. Seeing my M34 gasser in the yard would just cause laughter and curiousity (I haven't taken delivery and it'll be about a year before it's restored). A friend has an M35 he shortened to a 4x4... up here in NH "it's... just cool". Live free or die.

Count me out. I don't post much about what "toys" I have, guns, trucks and so on. It is real easy to find out, but why make it too easy?
<snipped quote for space>
Just my simple opinion. :beer:

MadHatter

M38A1.COM - Registry

This explains the purpose of the M38A1 registry (my brother used it to date his and had his added). It's just a useful tool. There are cases where soldiers knew their hood #'s and found it in registries like this... makes them feel good knowing their vehicles are still on the road. My M34 has no data plate. It came out of a fire dept on Long Island about 10 yrs ago and brought up here where it has sat.

(Edit / Add:)
Restorers care, daily runners could care less. ;)

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Doyle was working on something like this. Too bad he stopped coming around here due to some moron members we have and his new job requirements.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I agree putting my property on a list does give me pause, I don't think this sounds like a bad idear.

G-Force

"NH DOT: School Bus Driver Certificate & Hazardous Materials Endorsement on my CDL"

Wow Madhatter...what kind of kids you got up there that require a Hazmat Endorsement to drive a school bus???? rofl

MadHatter

"NH DOT: School Bus Driver Certificate & Hazardous Materials Endorsement on my CDL"

Wow Madhatter...what kind of kids you got up there that require a Hazmat Endorsement to drive a school bus???? rofl
Well, elementary school kids can suddenly erupt in an explosion of noise on occasion (kids taking other kids stuff, usual lack of candor and smacking each other causing a ruckus). ;)

MadHatter

Sooo... seems if someone else has started it and doesn't have the time for it... maybe I should contact him and take up where he left off. (anyone have his handle so I can PM I do web design professionally on the side (won't quote site url's, got a virtual smackdown already for trying to post a heads-up about some units coming out of Devens soon on GL that aren't there yet... and I like this site too much now to put myself on thin ice.)
The M38A1 site has email addresses of owners next to their listing. I don't think it's cool personally (spambots, email slurpers, etc). I was thinking along the lines of model #, s/n, hood #, manufacturer, engine, trans, blah blah and maybe COUNTY and state it's located. New Hampshire really doesn't go by counties (we have 8 believe it or not in our sliver of the States). Basically telling someone what town your toys are in "ain't kosher" IMO. I personally know where there are a bunch of M715's, M109, M35A2's, WC21, M725, M38, M38A1, M880, etc... but why tell others. (Telling someone the county gives them 2500+ square miles to look in, versus 150 or so if stating the town). Opinions taken.

greenjeepster

Mad:

How is telling the town on a registry any different than telling us that you live in Antrim (a community of 2400) Drive a bus, are a licensed fireworks guy and own a M34 and a Harley on a forum. I have enough info there that probably with in 15 minutes on Google can have your name, address and phone number and time it perfectly to the bus route so I can drive your toys down the road without you seeing me;-)

MadHatter

LOL! True 'dat Holmes! PM me what you find. Hint: I don't drive a bus... I have 50+ spies in buses. I was going to change my town listing earlier when I added the sig and forgot with all my background hubbub. ;) Didn't notice until a few hours ago that it puts the town name in... figured that was for the Admins / Moderators in haste.

Last edited:

tamangel

how about just a list of numbers with no names? Like A00567-A00999 1967 M35A2 w/w or something. You don't have to ID the owner, just list spec's so folks could see where they fit per their S/N. As someone said, this info is already in the data banks but don't necessarily have to put a name w/ it..at least on a public web page..actually someone could just organize all the info that CARNAC has provided in the past?

Mike

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I like the idea, but because of what I had to go through getting my truck I would be fearful the list could be used against the hobby(recalls for inspection).

It's a fact poeple think I am nuts and have told I am Nuts. So I staying under the radar.

Good luck with your list

MadHatter

Well, I've sent CARNAC a PM... looked back through at his information he provided to people. I think maybe just a Year, Model, Manufacturer, S/N list would work... no other info provided. I was considering just dropping the concept... but I've basically got a 2/3 vote that something should be created. Still want to look up David Doyle and consult with CARNAC (if not one in the same).
So far:
Yes, a Deuce registry would be cool 16 51.61%
Nah.... don't waste the time 10 32.26%
Yes, start a massive one for EVERY mil vehicle. 3 9.68%
Why am I even considering taking this poll? 2 6.45%