• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Security

dm22630

Even though when I park my deuce, and chain up the steering wheel, I am always worried about a kid getting in & hurting themselves or others around it by switching the power to "on" & pressing the BIG RED button. OR.....simply pushing the parking brake lever down.

I know full well, that if a kid did something, they wouldnt stick around to accept the blame & I would be stuck with the bill.

SO.....

I want to install a hidden "kill switch" for the power on/off switch (so it will be off ALL the time if the kill switch is off). And, I would like to install a chain/lock to secure the parking brake in the "up" position.

Have you guys done anything similar? If so, can you post a description & pics?

Thanks!

dittle

When I get a deuce I'm going to put a master switch in the glove box that will kill the starter signal. If the battery master gets turned on it will only run down the battery, but atleast it won't be able to start unless someone figures out that the starter has an interrupt also.

m109guy

Yeah there have been a ton of posts about this before. I have posted twice just on this topic in the last 3 weeks. But I will do it again just for you ;)

I put a hidden kill switch in the truck as well. Took the power cable off the starter, ran it to the switch, then ran a new cable from the switch to the starter. This way there is no power running to anything else on the truck. Even if someone tries to turn on the lights it will not work because all the accessories run off the positive power on the starter.

In the picture I had yet to install caps on the the switch terminals to stop anyone from getting zapped and a grommet around the cables where they go through the dash. I installed them afterwards.

There is also a keyed version you can get, which would let you install it in a more open area, but I like my hidden version. That way anyone who might know a thing or two about those types of switches, might just think that the truck batteries are dead because they don't see any place for a key.

Last edited:

dittle

Nice job ranchhopper, might be something I look into doing as well. Only thing I would do different (based on personal preference only) is kill the battery ground instead of the hot. My luck someone would be riding with me, hit the starter while they are somehow touching the hot leads of that and thats all she wrote. Murphy has a habit of visiting me....sadly.

dm22630

Yeah there have been a ton of posts about this before. I have posted twice just on this topic in the last 3 weeks. But I will do it again just for you ;)

I put a hidden kill switch in the truck as well. Took the power cable off the starter, ran it to the switch, then ran a new cable from the switch to the starter. This way there is no power running to anything else on the truck. Even if someone tries to turn on the lights it will not work because all the accessories run off the positive power on the starter.

In the picture I had yet to install caps on the the switch terminals to stop anyone from getting zapped and a grommet around the cables where they go through the dash. I installed them afterwards.

There is also a keyed version you can get, which would let you install it in a more open area, but I like my hidden version. That way anyone who might know a thing or two about those types of switches, might just think that the truck batteries are dead because they don't see any place for a key.

EXACTLY what I want! Thanks :mrgreen:

Where do I find one of those switches? And what gauge/length of cables do I need?

Thank you VERY VERY much!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Always slip the transfer case into neutral...that way if someone "accidently" tries to start the truck it will not not move (unless it is on an incline and the E brake is off).
Always chock at least one wheel to keep gravity from working on the deuce.

wsucougarx

When I bought my M35A2C, it came with a keyed ignition and had a transfer case locking bracket. The locking bracket allowed you to put in a padlock to keep the truck in neutral.

50shooter

I've installed the kill switch that Mr. M109guy has shown and it works great for two reasons. If hidden it makes it more difficult to steal your truck and two, it is nice to know that if you hook right off of the batteries, nothing can be left on by accident especially if you have a 12V alt and batt. set up running a winch, lights, inverter etc. I' have my own curious kids to worry about let alone the others.

tsmall07

I did something in one of my old trucks (not a deuce) that might be of use. I installed a momentary switch on the power to the ignition so that you have to hold the button down while you start the truck. When you let go of the button, the power to the ignition switch (starter button in this case) is interrupted. I hid the button under the dash where you couldn't see it and you could only feel it if you knew where it was.

m109guy

EXACTLY what I want! Thanks :mrgreen:

Where do I find one of those switches? And what gauge/length of cables do I need?

Thank you VERY VERY much!
You can get switches like that at most automotive stores including NAPA. The technical name for it is a "battery isolation switch". Ask for a heavy duty one.

The battery cable size used on the deuce is 2-0 cable. For the length it would depend on where you are installing it. If you put it under the dash like I did, you would need about 5 feet to be sure (it will give you enough slack to get from the dash to the starter without any problems).

Srjeeper

Here's what I put on the ground side of my batteries.
Unscrew the green knob, take it with you and the electrical system is disabled.
Frank's Surplus on e-bay has them as well as Harbor Freight for under $10.00.

Attachments

metrobus

M-35A2 Battery Disconnect

I found a 24 volt battery disconnect switch at a RV dealer, and installed it in the battery box, disconnecting the ground side. It has a plactice key, with a metal nub in it, that while hardly theft proof, will definately slow down the spur of the moment truck thief. Remember, locks only keep honest people honest!

dburt

I chain my steering wheel with good proof chain and a super-duper pad lock. Then I can put another super-duper padlock on my transfer case lever where it lines up in neutral with the bracket with the hole drilled to match the hole on the lever. I have thought of adding a disconnect switch to the ground side of the starter button up under the dash, it would slow down the casual joyrider or impulse thief, but a dedicated pro could get around most preventive measures. That's when you want Mr's Smith and Wesson to help deter the perps.

emr

Here's what I put on the ground side of my batteries.
Unscrew the green knob, take it with you and the electrical system is disabled.
Frank's Surplus on e-bay has them as well as Harbor Freight for under $10.00.

just an FYI, thats a 12 volt rated swicth, it will work for awhile, but the first time its not tight, it will weld itself together, im only saying be prepared, incase u are away and need to change it out, maybe carry an extra bat connector .Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks