• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce smoke video, do I need to turn my fuel down?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is that if you want to take care of your truck as you indicate, then you should definitely install a pyro. Imagine how you would kick yourself if you didn't and the motor fails...

An additional thought: If you have multiple diesel trucks or if you are cheap like me, you can install a thermocouple port on the after turbo exhaust pipe and utilize a hand held unit for your testing. Once you are satisfied with the measured temps you can remove the hand held unit and plug the thermocouple port.

Rick

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rchalmersyou can install a thermocouple port on the after turbo exhaust pipe and utilize a hand held unit for your testing. Once you are satisfied with the measured temps you can remove the hand held unit and plug the thermocouple port.[/QUOTE said:
What is the temp differance for after turbo and no more than one inch from the exhaust port on the head?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl I am researching possibly doing that to my truck but do not have all the facts concerning it yet.[/QUOTE said:
Very simple execpt for one fitting that requires a steady hand and a flex socket and extension to cap off. You don't need it or want diesel in your oil.
Go to napa with all the fittings that you removed and get the synflex line and correct brass with the npt threads. Dont try and use old brass and new synflex line.
When the zombies come we won't have time to stop and there will be no one to check the oil sample. We need to stay moving so keep up or be eaten sir also we can't afford to lose any trucks. Bypass the FDC now while we have the time and parts.

91W350

Karl, Your M105 left here in good shape and good hands at around 1100 our time, yours too... It is on the back of the trailer, tongue on the sloping rear deck. Should be an easy pull off of there with a loader and chain. The bed cover is stuffed about halfway into a card board box to keep the wind from catching it and sucking it out.

My old 91 Dodge has a nice set of instruments in it, Isso tach, pyro and boost gauges, they are wasted instruments in there. That 6BT never runs hot enough to warrant a gauge and the boost really does not worry me any in there either. The truck used to pull my M715 around like it was not even back there, okay, maybe you could tell on long hills and from a dead stop that it was back there. The tach is a waste. who cares? You cannot run an early stock governed 6BT hard enough rpm wise to hurt it. On that engine, if you are pulling hard down the Interstate, running 800-900 degrees, it will be back at 300 by the time you hit the bottom of an exit ramp. To shut down that turbo hot, you would about have to push the clutch in while pulling and turn the key off.

I could move the pyro over to my deuce, but then I would have the scarred dash in the Dodge. The instruments are cool to watch, but in my opinion, they are wasted on that truck.

Karl, you drove my truck and you have a nice deuce. How do they compare power wise?

I know mine has been overhauled in 1991, it is -.010 on the rods and -.020 on the mains with standard bore.

The pyro in my Dodge is really close to the turbo exhaust, not in the manifold. I always wondered if that was part of the cool exhaust reading and quick cool down on my Cummins. I remember the pyro on the old White I used to drive and in the old cabover Pete both being slow to fall once they went past 1000. I also remember that they really got hot fast on long pulling runs against the governor, if I would just back off and drop a gear, the exhaust temperatures would dive. I would ask if the multifuel is the same way, but it sounds like this crowd runs against the governor. Glen

Attachments

Last edited:
Smokey deuce

Hello and how are you.I was reading your post about the smoke and wanted to just chime in a comment.
My deuce was smoking pretty badly and I had thought that maybe I was in need of changing out the injectors,so I decided first to poke around at some other possibles .I pulled the intake manifold heater nozzle out to check that,what a surprise.Diesel fuel poured out of the hole.
I set the nozzle up in a coffe can and turned the power on.It sprayed fuel out without pushing the button on the dash.Okay,bought a new one and my emissions cleaned up for a bit.Then,the smoke started coming back.I pulled the new nozzle out to check it and had the same problem.After that I disconnected the manifold heater all together.
I don't know if your truck has the manifold heater on it but it won't cost you anything but a little time to take it out and check it if yours is equipped with it.I understand they never really worked like they were supposed to.
metalworker393

91W350

Mine does and I had not thought about that. Did yours have any other symptoms? My truck is running great, normally gets 10 or above in fuel mileage, unless I never leave town and idles smoothly, starts instantly, never runs like it is flooding or over fueling, it just blows copious smoke under load. Once I lay off the throttle it clears right up. You can always see black shadow, but it is not bellowing smoke. One thing about it, there is no doubt if I am accelerating or not. I do not mind the smoke, I kind of like it, but I do not want to replace the engine either. Thanks, I will check that, Glen

stevegr

The easiest thing to do would be to put a Mack Bulldog Emblem on the hood. The black exhaust smoke would be at home then.

91W350

We have a few old Macks running around and they can cloud the streets for several blocks. One of our local trash companies has five or six running around. They are not hard to spot coming in the twilight.... 8)

Smokinyoda

Nice you respect you machine but atleast shift at close to or at red line/gov. on all gears and cruse at what you feel comfortable.
Not trying to hijack this thread but is this true? I usualy shift between 1800 and 2000, and try and never go over 2400. I try and stay away from redline for fear of adding and extra hole in the block. Does this mean I am lugging the engine?

By the way I love the smoke in your video.[thumbzup]

I cant get mine to smoke at all, even running 75% wmo...

Flyingvan911

If I'm needing power I'll shift at 2,500 rpm. If I'm just cruising on flat ground, I'll shift lower and the truck doesn't mind one bit. About 2,100-2,200 rpm.

Westech

CPL
Just as many Multi fuels have exploded at 2600 RPM then when the engine is at a high Idle. If its going to blow she is going to blow. Keeping the engine lugging at low RPM's is just as hard on the engine or harder then cruising at at 2500 ish. Its a light bulb engine.

Josh

The tach in my truck has never worked since I got it. Ive put well over 12k miles on it, and always shift 4-5 MPH below what the dash plate says for the max speed in that gear. 3rd gear is the exception. If I'm on a hill or loaded, I run the truck out to 27-28 before shifting.

91W350

Went out playing again, not nearly as steep, not working nearly as hard to pull. Just goofing off....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTT1CQfnEeM[/media]

BlizzardX23

holy sh%$!!! That is A LOT of smoke!!! lol

Hope your getting everything situated! My truck puts out almost no smoke at all..

..sometimes, Im a little disappointed.. =/

Madfarmersson

hey,
That is a nice carbon foot print.[thumbzup]
Mine smoked like that when I first got it, I drove it about 300 miles with about 10 mpg, so I know it did pretty good on fuel. Then here a few months ago I found a plug missing in my turbo, I replaced it and it does not smoke as much :cry:but still enough to leave a smog.:drool:
Here is a video of mine if i can get it on here.

Madfarmersson.View attachment 100_1093.MOV

stancanpara

Love the camera angle!!!1 :driver:

How did you weight the camera down to keep it from moving? My camera would take off like an empty beer can if I drove over it at speed...and probably end up under a rear tire....:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks