• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce spitting coolant, but why?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope someone responds to this soon, plan to leave for Gilbert PA in about 4 hours and hope this is nothing major...

I changed the oil in the deuce today, checked all the systems to prep for the trip to PA. Filled the radiator all the way to the top. Then I took a 40-minutes ride around town doing errands. On the way there and back, when the deuce was being taxed, going up hills and going 55mph down the road, there were some splashes of coolant coming out the driver's side engine access panel, enough to splash a half-gallon or so of coolant down the left side of the truck. Had to hose it off at home.

Here's the thing I can't figure out: no leaks in the radiator. No visible leaks in any of the hoses. ONLY did it when the deuce was being heavily burdened by my gas pedal foot. Could not replicate this when I parked the deuce and pulled out the throttle for a few minutes. When the engine was shut off and cooled down, I checked the oil, no water or foam or anything like that, just perfect. Removed the radiator cap, coolant was still pretty high, close to where I filled it to, and the top of the radiator was relatively cool.

Also, something I noticed, is it supposed to be pretty hot in a deuce cab, with no heater, when it is operating?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side note: sorry, can't use the temp gauge as an indicator - it's not functioning. Think the wiring or the temp sending unit is shot.

Any ideas what could be causing this spraying coolant problem?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This sounds a little more then what my deuce does. My deuce does not like to be topped off all the way up. It will spit up a little bit until it reaches the level it likes.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what level it should be at. Except for the small amount of the radiator you can see through the bent filler neck, all I know is fill it up to the top.

Ethan - hope you're right. Don't wanna get stranded in PA tomorrow. :( How hot does your deuce get since it has found it's happy spot in terms of coolant level?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well usually when it is "happy" it is at the bottom of the elbow looking into the radiator cap. Perhaps the 1/2 gallon you thought you saw was not quite that much. I hope you can get the parts you need to get your temp. gauge working. Oh and yes you will think that the heater is stuck on in the deuce cab. Wear shorts. Your lower body will cook while the rest of you is fine. The funny thing is that durring the winter you will think that your heater is not working. Kinda screwy.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, where is the thermostat in the deuce, just so I know where to check tomorrow if there are any problems?

The level of my coolant is currently about 1 inch down from the radiator cap, but still much higher than where yours is "happy".

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Unfortunatly I don't know where the thermostat is. I did some searching, but did not find any pics of where it might be.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Could that be the thermistat housing at the bottom left of this pic right next to the top radiator hose, and forward of the cold start heater?

Attachments

JDToumanian

Yes, that's the thermostat, but I wouldn't pull it unless you confirm overheating. My deuce will burp up some coolant if filled all the way, too... Remember, there is no expansion tank like most cars (and trucks) have, so if you fill it completely it will certainly blow out the excess in order to make expansion room. Also, if you were overheating, I think you'd know it... I'd say your deuce is normal.

One more thing... make sure your radiator cap is good... check the gasket. The overflow should come out the little tube along the side, not from around the cap. Make sure that tube is clear, too... mine was clogged with a wasp mud nest, and I had to "rod it out" with a piece of steel.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, like Jon stated, check the radiator cap, it should hold 7 to 8 psi when working correctly. If it doesn't, it may cause release of pressure too soon.
Gauges are important, gives you peace of mind on a road trip, work on fixing it.
Oh, about the cab getting hot, yes that would be normal, I only use the "heater" for defrosting the wind shield. In fact driving it in the Winter is not bad with the bikini top, there is a constant flow of warm air from the fire wall, its surface temp easily hits 120°F. I can image a closed cab could get intolerable in the Summer.

mangus580

Be warned..... this is the symptom that mine showed before the radiator got really bad!!! I had a leak in the top seam. You couldnt really see it leaking unless it was REALLY hot, as the coolant would evaporate by the time you got to check it out.

maxim

I just had mine repaired. Leaking at the top seam and dribbling down the front and smelling of anti-freeze. it was time for a fluid change anyway and $50 for the shop to fix it and do a pressure check for anymore problems. Mine behaves like some of the others that if you over fill it it will come out the tube until it finds a level it likes, just down to the filler neck.

ida34

Some others have brought it up but the fact that you filled the antifreeze all the way up speaks volumes. This should only be done on systems with an over flow reservoir. Older systems with only the over flow tube should not be filled all the way up. You must allow for thermal expansion of the coolant. The hotter the coolant the more it expands. It follows that the most expansion will occur when the engine is hottest from working hard. FIX THE TEMP GAUGE FIRST. If you over heat the engine major problems happen. I don't think you over heated. I think the system purged the excess coolant created by the thermal expansion but driving around without the engine temp gauge is a ticking time bomb. The pressure created in the system by the expansion also raises the boiling point of the coolant. It might be time to check the cap with a pressure tester and at the same time check the system for leaks with the tester. A lot of times, I find old caps that will not hold the pressure they are supposed to. As stated, the cap and system should hold 7-8 psi. Most modern cars should hold 15 psi or so. Make sure you get the proper rating just not a cap that fits the top. Base on your post my best guess is that the system was just purging. Check the TM for the exact fill level but most of the time it is a few inches below the filler neck. Anytime it is filled up to the top it will leak out. I would not start tearing apart the thermostat until you actually fix the temp gauge to actually see if it is over heating. If you just want to check it buy a cheap gauge at the local parts store and put it in until you can get the actual gauge fixed. You could just put a temp probe in the top of the radiator but this is not really accurate and then it is not pressurized also. I would also get a hydrometer to check your actual boil over protection. Most coolant must be mixed with water 50/50 to provide the optimal freeze and boil protection.

Good Luck with it.
Chuck

dirtyfingernails

Mine was doing the same thing and the leak was right where mangus and maxim indicated on theres. The top seam was leaking and at the elbow on the filler. Soldiers tend to steady themselves on that filler and the downward pressure takes a toll over time. Anyway, a brand new radiator from Memphis is a pricey item indeed! I paid $800 plus shipping (by freight). It's an easy job though! The bottom of the radiator was heavily rusted (had rusty water in it). Everything good now.

BEASTMASTER

you just overfilled the thing ,once the anti freeze is in the elbow ,thats it needs room to expand .don't mess with the thermostats until you run it with the right amount of antifreeze in it.if it ain't broke don't fix it :driver:

SierraHotel

I filled mine as well. After checking it several times and the coolant being visible in the elbow, I checked it and the coolant wasn’t visible. :?

Hmmmm, need some more coolant, right?

So, I added close to a gallon of fresh water to get it to the level previously observed. :roll:

A lot of it vented out the first time I took it for a spin…the anti-freeze smell kind of freaked me out. :shock:

However, since I never had a prior problem and I just filled it, I assumed it was venting to equalize and get where it wants. It still vents when it gets warm/hot.

One strange thing is that the anti-freeze has the typical green color and the hygrometer indicates I have good boil and freeze protection. However, there are rust or mud stains at the interior of the hood and side panels where it’s venting.

I wouldn’t…am are not…sweat the venting.
:)

devilman96

After installing a over flow tank I've noticed I can get it almost a full gallon more of coolant... Most certinaly not "needed" but any time you can squeeze more of any fluid into an engine I say its a plus.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
devilman96 said:
After installing a over flow tank I've noticed I can get it almost a full gallon more of coolant... Most certinaly not "needed" but any time you can squeeze more of any fluid into an engine I say its a plus.
Mike, did you post any details of this overflow tank installation?
Meanwhile I'll search...may find the details...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks