• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce stranded me/wife on the Highway

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I honestly think pressurizing a tank more than 3-4psi is flirting with disaster. I have seen too many "non-pressure vessels" pop open at the seam(if your lucky) some let go violently.

Ridgerunner

how much time did ya spend pre-tripping the truck for clearance for take off ?

Pre trip - Post trip - just like the big boys do (or are suppose to do)
Checked oil, coolant and brake fluid levels, and did a look over while she was warming up. Did not put a gauge on the tires, none looked low, and had never had to add air to them since I had them.... yes I know, no excuse.... Fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, which should have been plenty to roll the 20 miles.

mbehne

^^^I will 2nd that!!! I remember a customer stop in and ask how to find a leak in his 30ft pontoon. I told him to pull it out of the water, drain the water, put the plug back in and face that pontoon at the sun so it builds up a little pressure. Once it's warm, spray it with soapy water and watch for bubbles. So what does he do? Hook it up to his compressor and blows the pontoon off the trailer dang near killing him. He told me " I thought if I used a regulator and kept the pressure down it would be ok"... Guess not.

ATPTac

Checked oil, coolant and brake fluid levels, and did a look over while she was warming up. Did not put a gauge on the tires, none looked low, and had never had to add air to them since I had them.... yes I know, no excuse.... Fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, which should have been plenty to roll the 20 miles.
Never trust the fuel gauge on a Deuce... Mine reads less than it actually is. I filled it up past the safe fill line (it was an accident), and it only read 3/4 of a tank, so in my case that's a good thing.

Ridgerunner

3 deg today, 22 deg tomorrow and 43 on Friday. So tomorrow I'll gather the stuff up needed to do what Doghead recommended, which seems like the best plan. Then On Friday (above freezing) I'll see if I can get it up and running and back home.

Jeepsinker

I never let my fuel get below the strainer and no problems. My in tank pump hasn't worked in a while now. Ordered a new one on EBay around Christmas time and haven't seen it yet.

ATPTac

I never let my fuel get below the strainer and no problems. My in tank pump hasn't worked in a while now. Ordered a new one on EBay around Christmas time and haven't seen it yet.
Ouch... I'd say its a safe bet you aren't gonna see it at this point.

Also, thank you everyone for the provided help so far. Much appreciated
No problem, let us know how everything works out.

jwaller

Try putting a new primary filter in it while your at it. Mine likes a new one every 2k miles. When they clog it runs like it's running out of fuel and after a while it will only run at half throttle and soon it dies.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, which should have been plenty to roll the 20 miles.
Wrekerman's rule of thumb # 1: The only thing that lies more consistently than a career politician is a military vehicle fuel gauge. I never let a truck get below half a tank because Murphy is an opportunist.

bigginstactical

If you are waiting a few days and don't care to use the factory pump set up order the 24 volt external pump. To install it for good would be barely longer then what doghead said to do but like I said only if you don't care to use the factory set up. If you do then for sure go with doghead's advice. Mine ran great with no issues until I changed the fuel filters. The whole time I was running off the IP. As stated above you will have to re prime so might be a good idea to swap primary filter just in case you have an issue there. Best of luck!

Ridgerunner

If all goes well, I should have a new in-tank pump and new primary filter for tomorrow. (fingers crossed) If not, I do have an inline electric fuel pump a friend had/gave me today to try and use to get it running.

Once I can get the fuel pushed up and out of the tank, what is the proper procedure for (bleeding the air?) from the system before start up?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one bleeder over the secondary filters.

The correct filter changing process and bleeding process is covered in the TMs.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like the time I killed the HH on a deuce of mine.

Did you keep on forcing it to move when it started dying? The HH pump is lubed by fuel and runs at double crank speed. It's a machine fit part as well, easily wiped out from lack of fuel. I'd suggest the cheapo 12v lift pump to get it started for now.

goldneagle

You should have filed a complaint with Paypal for not receiving the goods by now. Did you get any tracking info?

w3azel

Not to change topic to much but talking about the HH pump. Driving home my truck said half a tank and probably had a little over a quarter in it. It wasn't enough and the truck kept surging then dropping off. Not really bucking more like I was pressing the gas and letting off constantly. If I pressed the clutch during these episodes it would die and I would have to crank a little while to get her to go again. Made it the 3 miles to the gas station and she hasn't done it again. How much damage can these take from lack of fuel before I should start budgeting for one. Luckily my in tank pump still works and kept priming the system.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not to change topic to much but talking about the HH pump. Driving home my truck said half a tank and probably had a little over a quarter in it. It wasn't enough and the truck kept surging then dropping off. Not really bucking more like I was pressing the gas and letting off constantly. If I pressed the clutch during these episodes it would die and I would have to crank a little while to get her to go again. Made it the 3 miles to the gas station and she hasn't done it again. How much damage can these take from lack of fuel before I should start budgeting for one. Luckily my in tank pump still works and kept priming the system.
That's kinda hard to give you a number on. When I killed my IP, I had it "blip" like that about 3 miles before at a traffic light. I was heading to my friends shop for waste oil. I though, oh I'm low, but I can make it. Made it to the downhill at his shop. It died again. This time I just kept it floored and forced it to roll/run in and out for a 1/4 of a mile. That was enough.

Ridgerunner

Sounds like the time I killed the HH on a deuce of mine.

Did you keep on forcing it to move when it started dying?
I was driving down the road, and a red light was up ahead. I pushed in the clutch to start slowing down, and the engine died. Hit the starter a couple times while I was coasting, but nothing happened. Coasted to the shoulder of the road (either in natural or with the clutch push it...don't recall now) Engine didn't turn over, once it died while I was rolling, other than with the effort of the starter. Tried a couple times to start it on the side of the road (nothing) so I checked the fuel level (3") listened for pump hum (none), checked primary fuel filter (empty) Knew the truck wasn't moving under it's own power to get us home, at that point.

The King Machine

First step is add more fuel to the tank.

My lift pump died, my truck ran fairly well without it. Just needed to crank it longer to get it fired. The pump was old and clogged with hair and some other junk.
I ordered the new style of lift pump for $50 off of a guy here on SS. You might have a weak injection pump if it won't run without the lift pump. Cross that bridge when you get there.

I would keep it simple and just fix it proper. Forget the external pumps, filters, air chucks and all that other jazz.
Order the dang pump, install it and keep moving forward.
The new style of pump make very little noise when running, almost nothing.

Ridgerunner

(UPDATE)

Truck is now home and parked in the barn once again. Weather is suppose to be turning (single digit cold, snow/rain) tomorrow, so just in time. Thank you everyone, for the help I needed to make this happen.

I ended up using a used stock lift pump. Installed it, let it prime the system, bled my filters and injectors/lines, and after that she started right up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks