• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tailgate Crane

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know i can fabricate kinda a jump-seat arrangement where i turn the last couple feet of bench area into its on stand alone seat that only comes down if the crane is removed, but don't know if its worth the effort.

Quite easy if you have the hardware. I can post pics tonight if you wish.

sedohr

is that the HF one with a cool paint job? i think it will fit under the troop seat when they are down.
buddy of mine has that one and he says it sits just above the height of the side of the bed (he doesn't have troop seats) when collapsed. thinkin it might be a little too tall.

i'll see if he can shoot me a pic to post.

If anyone is planning to use an electric wench, oh I meant winch, do not confuse their lack of safety when you are using it as a hoist. A hoist has a real locking mechanism that a winch does not have. This could give you a surprise if/when your load crashes to the ground just as you went to rotate it into the back of your truck.

I also need to install a rear mounted hoist of some sort. Really liked the jet ski one, but need to lift a.bit more weight. That quick detach system looks like the design for me. Want to haul my scooters with the A3. One weighs about 900 lb, the other 600 lbs.

I doubt that anything that fits under the cargo cover will lift my old Ford tractor. Just need a better trailer for that.

What does a standard pallet of bricks or.sod weigh? Haul some of that from time to time. Getting loaded is the easy part--forklift. Unloading is a real pain.

mikey

What does a standard pallet of bricks or.sod weigh? Haul some of that from time to time. Getting loaded is the easy part--forklift. Unloading is a real pain.
A pallet of bricks would be about 2,500lbs which will put you in the same range that I'm searching for. Unfortunately, I'm only finding affordable cranes with a max of 2,000 lbs and that is without the boom extended.

I'll keep you posted, but the 2k lb jet ski crane seems like my best option so far. I'll just have to lift totes that aren't completely full.

Mikey

sedohr

i found this site that carries (manufactures?) the crane i bought a few posts back.....

Vestil Manf

maybe they'll have some other models that will give you "heavy weighter's" some ideas. then it's a matter of finding the best deal on the net.

noticed the place i bought my $199 delivered crane from has now raised the price to $359 :)

i'll bet he took a bath shipping that nice 110lb crane to me for 200 bucks all included... just a guess.....

sedohr

got my crane delivered friday (2 days!). thought i'd share some pics. crane is not mounted yet since i'm waiting for some backing plates to be made up.

first off, the crane model is not the exact one shown in the pic on the website that i posted earlier. not sure if this is a newer (or cheaper model). still has all the features of the crane i ordered so, this is probably a keeper for me.

these pics don't show the manual winch since i'm deciding whether to go ahead with a 12v atv winch or not.

pic1 - crane showing max lift while in the 1/2 ton configuration. i have 5'4" of lift between the crane fixed hook and bed.

pic2 - crane in the stowed position. can also be lifted out of base if needed.

pic3 and 4 - different angles with tailgate up. crane is sitting as far back as i can reasonable go IF i want to travel with crane in stowed position and keep everything within the bed

pic5 - also mounted vise on the front of the truck this AM. vise not only pivots at the base but the vise jaws also rotate clockwise / counterclockwise. really like the way it came out. (testing some harbor freight magnetic mount led lights too in the pic - awesome lights.... highly recommend)

overall, i like the weight of the crane and features. only thing i don't like is i don't have much extension of the boom beyond the back of the bed of the truck if i have in 1/2 ton configuration. probably only extends out the back maybe 2 feet. course if i extend boom to max extension, i gain another 2 feet or so of extension but my max weight drops to 400 lbs.

Attachments

Last edited:

sedohr

Here are the pics of the modified troop seats. Just need to obtain an extra folding leg.

thanks.... looks like what i'll do as well. tried calling some suppliers for the folding leg friday but haven't had any luck so far..... :x

curious...... what's the reason for the long large plate under the crane mounting plate? my bed angles up a bit towards the back end. if i move my crane mounting plate back more, there is a small gap at the middle point of the plate. don't know if you had the same issue or not.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those cheap LED lights are some of the most useful lights you will find. I have several stuck on sheetmetal in every truck I own. They are beyond useful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks