• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tires on the CUCV???

EF-5

I know this thread is a little aged, but I ran across this the other day.

You might not even need to lift it to put 395's under it. Just remove the bed of the m1008 completely and trim the fenders as far as you can get them. You'll end up with something like this...:shock:

Ford F250 with 54" Michelins.

ford rockcrawler

fordrockcrawler.jpg

tnttnt187

Hey SC, from the angle of this pic. the truck looks great! will need to see pics. from a side view with bed on for full effect. What adjustments were made for turning? Tom

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tnttnt187;

Had to trim fenders big time. Used ORD's 4" HD springs with 1" Zero Rates. Repositioned front axle 1" forward.

Tires clear fine lock-to-lock.

Ordering cross-over steering now.

EF-5

Putting a suspension lift aside; can you even put 395's, or 46.5" tires in general, without breaking something on the truck while driving it?

I just though that F250 looked very interesting lol.

AJMBLAZER

Standard, OEM, non upgraded 1 tons are about maxed with 44's. Go beyond that, especially with the heavy military tires and the heavy 20" wheels required to run them, and you're on borrowed time.

4-Wheel & Off-Road built up a Super Duty for their Ultimate Adventure back in '02 or '03 with 46" Michelins and they had a bunch of breakage issues with their D60 front and Sterling 10.5" rear.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, thanks for all the comments. This is not the first time I have done this. I built the wheels in 1985 and ran 11.00/20NDT for 10 years on a civi K30 diesel with no problems whatsoever. Wore that truck out, sold it, saved the wheels. Bought my M1028 with 12,338 miles last year and decided to duplicate the running gear of that civi rig.

That '85 civi hauled me to Montana and back dozens of times during my Elk Hunting days. Would set the cruise at 70 through some of the hardest rains and never slipped once. The trick is to keep the inflation pressure such that the tread is contacting the road 100%. I found that with the weight of the K30 fully loaded, this would be around 38 psi. After logging over 250,000 miles on three sets of tires I can assure you that they do not "suck" as armytruck63 remembers. They probably do slide under the weight of a deuce, however for a lighter-weight CUCV, they hold the road as good as anything I have ever run.

In response to AJMBLAZER's post #50, I invite you to travel the 18 miles up to Paris and see for yourself.

Respectfully,

Mike Gresham
Paris, Kentucky

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As mentioned, you can run the newest design tires in other sizes on a standard civy 20" wheel. We also have sources for steel 20" wheels with your choice of bolt patterns.

armytruck63

Sharecropper has a point. Maybe I am bad-mouthing NDT's because of running them at 50 PSI on an empty deuce. Lower air pressure in the back might have helped.

I had one of those "Hello!" moments approaching a stop sign going downhill in the rain.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks