• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce to half track conversion?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're talking apples and oranges.

I'm talking about the over-tire tracks, not the original M3 style with the little drive gear.

The difference, would be more like 41" on the front and 42.5" on the rear. (If the track is say, 3/4" thick)
I was referring to the gear ratios using true tracks driven by a sprocket. if the drive sprocket is 1/4 the diameter of the front tires, you would need the rear axle to have 1/4 of the front axle reduction.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see know what is being said. So one would need a different rear axle with a higher ratio than the front. Of course, a person could also eliminate the propellershaft to the front axle but that would be no fun

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We're talking apples and oranges.

I'm talking about the over-tire tracks, not the original M3 style with the little drive gear.

The difference, would be more like 41" on the front and 42.5" on the rear. (If the track is say, 3/4" thick)
I'm seeing a lot more than 3/4" radius difference in those pics. More like 2" or more (1" for the tread, 1" for the linking structure). So that'd be more like a 41" vs 45" difference. Or nearly a 10% difference (9.756%). I know the sprags engage at 7%. (There's no way I'd try this with a sprag M35 due to the "weak" t-case) In sloppy conditions, it'd probably work fine. But given how the tail scrub effect with treads would work, I'm betting on biding of the driveline when there's any solid ground.

On a side note....

Ouverson makes a 4.90 ratio gearset for the 2.5t axles. So one could possibly run a single rear axle and create a drive sprocket for a link setup to balance the ratios.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone know what the front and rear axle ratios were on WWII half tracks? I would think that would give a good idea of the spread needed as long as the proportion of drive sprocket to front tire circumferences were about the same?

anyway, I don't plan to every try doing this but just wanted to pose it as an academic question and to see if anyone else had attempted it? I think the combination of M35 and tracks would be an incredible rig! Still would love to see pics of the Israeli versions.

Al Harvey

Gawd how I HATE the Army's new trucks! Why did we have to Eurofy our forces? What garbage!
Not only Eurofy but why did they Electrofy the trucks. My unit had received some of the new LMTVs and one of them had a short in it. There were times you'd drive down the road and the truck would just totally lose all power. It would randomly just cut out and everything went dead. My first concern was what if I'd been in Iraq in a convoy.

Now I'm curious. Who all is actually considering taking on this mod or who at least is drawing up plans for a "future" possible build.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
does anyone know what the front and rear axle ratios were on WWII half tracks? I would think that would give a good idea of the spread needed as long as the proportion of drive sprocket to front tire circumferences were about the same?

anyway, I don't plan to every try doing this but just wanted to pose it as an academic question and to see if anyone else had attempted it? I think the combination of M35 and tracks would be an incredible rig! Still would love to see pics of the Israeli versions.
Well I'm not certain about the ratios of the half track. But to use the 2.5t rockwell, the only gearing options are the 6.72 stock ratio and the Ouverson 4.90 ratio set. I suppose someone could use a "brownie box" to also tweak the ratios on the rear axle.

quickfarms

Two options for the rear axle are an auxiliary transmission or use a civilian axle to deal with the ratio difference.

The half tracks were created to deal with two issues ground pressure and traction.

Tracks are still used to deal with ground pressure.

The traction issue was dealt with in two ways. The Detroit locker's development can be traced back to 1941. The second way is by developing better tires.

As far as gear ratios go the front axle is 6.8:1 and the rear is 4.44:1. I found it in a 2009 post on this site.

Last edited:

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so a M2/M3 rear drive would be just about right for use with a Rockwell front axle for a deuce. 6.72:1 for existing axle and 6.8:1 for WWII. 672 shaft revs per 100 wheel revs vs. 680 shaft revs per 100 axle. If fact the 4.9:1 Ouverson gears are not too far away from the 4.44:1 WWII gears so conceivably you could modify one of the existing M35 rear axles to drive the tracks if you used the lower ratio gear set. It would then be to just pick the right drive sprocket size if not actually using M2/M3 rear tracks.

I still like the idea but not getting any ideas if you get my drift. I still have an M54 to finish restoring.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found these images of a model M3 showing the arrangement of the rear axle & suspension

200912014443966038.jpg200912014434727921.jpg9649695306_9719d21afd_o.jpg
It certainly would be a very substantial project and one which would earn its owner many bragging rights here once done and running. The photo chronicle of the conversion would make for a very interesting thread!

Last edited:
This truck is used up at our local lake, its a 5 ton though but same idea. I have thought of this before but have not really thought about it. The only way I would use it is in snow. We have a cabin in colorado and during the winter months it is always snowed in, the road to the cabin is an 7 mile forest service road which is not plowed in the winter. We have skied in before but it would be cool to take that. I would not want to drive all the way up there with the tracks so they would have to be removable like these. Its probably not a real practical modification but it sure would be cool.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378088765.796029.jpg

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I am wondering if this idea wouldn't work for my M54 since I have that mega V plow for it and might get work doing private non county maintained road clearing during the winter. I really hate having to chain up.

Not to change the subject but how do G177's do in deep snow assuming a couple of tons of weight in the bed?

Al Harvey

Found this image out there in the great internet. Thought it fit the conversation of conversions to half track. From the description it was designed for Russian roads but ended up never produced. Hmmmm what about a GPW halftrack???? lol

28.jpg

JasonW

I would think with those wrap around tracks on a deuce, if you used the standard sized ND rear tires and then put the next size up tires on the front or maybe tires from a 5 ton, wouldn't that equal out any possible gear ratio / tire mismatch issues? If the front tire diameter is roughly the same as the overall height of the rear tracks it should work with no problems right?

caliber1

Good idea, run 9.00s on the rear, and 11.00s front to make up the difference of the track thickness. Hmmmm......
I would think with those wrap around tracks on a deuce, if you used the standard sized ND rear tires and then put the next size up tires on the front or maybe tires from a 5 ton, wouldn't that equal out any possible gear ratio / tire mismatch issues? If the front tire diameter is roughly the same as the overall height of the rear tracks it should work with no problems right?

jatonka

You would build one to go where no truck could ever go. Half Tracks go places you wouldn't believe. Next move up would be to a weasel or M116 Husky

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks