• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Trip from MD to CA

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I have been lurking on the forum for a few years now and I finally bought a 1987 M35A2. I'm still working on the exact details on picking up the truck in Maryland, but the plan is to fly out early November, with two friends and drive it back to California, over four of five days. The previous owner redid the truck a few years ago and it appears to be in really good condition. Although my buddy who was with the 101st isn't confident, as he said, when he was in an M35 they were always breaking down. Then again, when he was in an HMMV, it rarely lasted a week.

Since we are flying out, that limits some of the items we can bring with us, but still have the option of purchasing simple stuff before we head out. We will have a cigarette lighter wired up to charge our cell phones and bring a container to carry a few gallons of water and I will make sure to have oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and gear oil. Of course a few bucks in cash, good credit card and food.

I'm looking for pointers on things to pack on the trip and locations of refuge (approximate member locations) in case of an emergency.

TB58

From Sonoma County to Ft Bragg Nc it took me 10 days. That included two days lost for a blown injector line. I averaged about 300-400 miles a day depending on the terrain. Big thing with these is to give yourself a lot of time and not push them too hard. Depending on the shape of the truck it should be able to do it.

Be sure to go over the brake system very carefully. The brakes on these are very unforgiving, with the single system one leak any where will cause a catastrophic failure. Check the axles, transfer and transmission oils for level and cleanliness. Do the same for the engine oil and coolant.

A set of wrenches and sockets up to about 1 1/2 would be a very good thing to have along. A few gallons of each fluid, it holds a lot more than a regular car so having a quart of engine oil won't do much. Bring lots of water to drink, I end up quite dehydrated driving a long way in mine. Mine has a huge appetite for alternator belts, having a set or two on hand might not be a bad idea. A few 24v bulbs would be good to have on hand, not something every little town usually has available.

A very in-depth inspection before you leave will help you loads on the trip. If anything looks suspect change it or fix it before you go. It is a lot more fun to work on the truck in a driveway with help than on the side of the road in the rain. Also pick the previous owners brain on any reoccurring issues he might have had.

Long distance in a Deuce can be a lot of fun as long as you are prepared for it. Ear plugs, eye pro, water and food make a huge difference. when it is warm open the windshield and close everything else, this will keep you the coolest. Be prepared to talk to a lot of people every time you stop. I think I averaged 3 conversations per fuel stop. Get your mind right and accept that you are driving an almost 30 year old military truck, it will be loud, rough riding and slow. Accept those things and you will have a great trip, oh and smile and wave at the people who give you dirty looks it drives them nuts.

On the main page there is a link to the members map. Great resource. I would recommend contacting a few people before you start your trip. I got lucky and was able to get help when I needed it, but it would have been a lot easier had I established contact first and they knew I was coming through.

Take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes.

TB58

Good call Bnaditcorps, tools to change a tire would be a good idea too. I keep a reflective vest in my cab incase I have to get out on the side of the road. Fire Extinguisher is a necessity.

BnaditCorps

Good call Bnaditcorps, tools to change a tire would be a good idea too. I keep a reflective vest in my cab in case I have to get out on the side of the road. Fire Extinguisher is a necessity.
ah yes a fire extinguisher, god forbid that were to happen.

Also sleeping bag and cot/sleeping pad. That way you can sleep in the bed of the truck and not have to pay for hotels. It may suck, but hey it builds character.

TB58

two things I forgot to mention, mine has a muffler and more importantly it has seats out of a Silverado.

Camping gear would be a really good idea even if you intend to stay in hotels. Being prepared to spend the night somewhere makes it a lot more comforting going through those lonely stretches of highway.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go over or print up the TM's just to be ready if something did happen and to familiarize yourself with the truck . And like above go over it very carefully before heading out. Tools and fluids are a must.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder on your cell phone charger (cigarette lighter) the truck is 24V, most charging accessories are 12V. Wish you the best on your journey, and welcome aboard from Nevada.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I have been lurking on the forum for a few years now and I finally bought a 1987 M35A2. I'm still working on the exact details on picking up the truck in Maryland, but the plan is to fly out early November, with two friends and drive it back to California, over four of five days. The previous owner redid the truck a few years ago and it appears to be in really good condition. Although my buddy who was with the 101st isn't confident, as he said, when he was in an M35 they were always breaking down. Then again, when he was in an HMMV, it rarely lasted a week.

Since we are flying out, that limits some of the items we can bring with us, but still have the option of purchasing simple stuff before we head out. We will have a cigarette lighter wired up to charge our cell phones and bring a container to carry a few gallons of water and I will make sure to have oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and gear oil. Of course a few bucks in cash, good credit card and food.

I'm looking for pointers on things to pack on the trip and locations of refuge (approximate member locations) in case of an emergency.
Just remembered pick up an ice chest for food and drinks as your looking at about 4 days travel time. Your food and drink will keep just in case you find yourself in no mans land with a mechanical issue.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I did 2200 miles from El Paso to Aberdeen, MD in my deuce. Took me 4 days and I would drive until tired, pull off for a few hours sleep and drive on. I probably got 4-5 hrs of sleep a day. Longest break I had was about 5 straight hours loading up item in MO.

Unless you are rotating drivers and someone is able to sleep in the back with the loud exhaust, I doubt you can make it in 4 days.

Also, no mention was made about which route you were taking? Weather is going to become a problem on some routes. Granted the deuce will go through about anything but ice is ice. If it will turn an Abrams into a sled, it'd do the same with the deuce.

Not trying to discourage this but do want the reality light on it.

BTW, if there are 3 of you, split the tools from a GMTK and each carry some on the flight. Other than that, 3" axle socket. Ensure the bearings are greased well. With an unknown truck, you probably want an additional spare tire or two or three. Check wiper blade condition.

If it is a soft top, duck tape. You may arrive in CA topless.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite a bit of good info here. A few more considerations. Mailing stuff ahead. USPS flat rate boxes can get heavy toos send ahead for cheap. A nice multi purpose jump box with inverter can often save the day. I would also prepare the truck by cleaning the glass inside and out and doing a nice application of rain x or Aquapel. The thing a deuce needs and doesn't have are inside wipers.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A few thoughts on your trip ....Due to airline baggage charges you can just box up stuff, most anything, and send it ahead by UPS in the brown truck. Can you buy or borrow tools from the seller?
Can you buy fluids and parts from the seller? Make time to get with the seller and go over how to change a tire. Is there a jack, geared lug wrench, and get a good piece of pipe for a persuader. Run the truck around a bit before you go on the road. Find places on your route that can assist, tow, repair. View attachment GTA 9-1-1851-8 M35A2 Pre Trip Inspection Proceedures.pdfAttached is necessary information.

TMNT

Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure. A lot of good points brought up by others, so far. I've owned and maintained a deuce for 4 years now. They do require a good bit of TLC.

If your deuce is rolling on NDCC's, your planned trip will pretty much wipe them out. Also, in the case of NDCC's, they don't like rain. The front tires push and slide pretty easily on wet pavement. You get used to it, but the first couple of times the front starts sliding in a turn, it'll scare the crap out of you.

It's been mentioned already but it bears restating: Bring a couple of sets of fan and alternator belts; Spare headlights and bulbs; Fresh wiper blades; spare tires mounted on wheels.

Carry 5-10 gallons of extra fuel and don't trust the fuel gauge. Mine stops picking up fuel just below the 1/4 tank mark, and there's still 2" of fuel in the tank.

I would avoid traveling at night as the deuce is hard to see at night. There have been several accidents caused by 70-80 mph traffic, hitting 45 mph deuces at night. If you do travel at night, add a bunch of reflective tape to the tailgate.

I get 11 mpg at 45-48 mph. I drive 45-48 because I don't like big holes in the side of my engine block. If you drive 8 hours per day, you'll clock 350-375 miles per day. That says you're on the road 7-8 days if you have no delays. You will have delays.

Vibration is a big factor on these trucks. Recheck the truck everyday for loose nuts and bolts, chafing wiring, working lights, fluid leaks and fluid levels. Pay special attention to drive shaft flange bolts, lug nuts, hub temps, and fluid leaks on and around the wheels. Climb under the truck and take a good look. Check things like the lower alternator mounting bolts. (Mine work loose from time to time.)

You might want to bring along some DOT airline in case you have a fuel return line problem. Bring spare primary and secondary fuel filters in case you get some junk fuel.

I don't know which route you're taking, but an early snow in the western mountains and you might need chains.

If I could take 10-15 days off work, I would like to do a trip like this. I'd do it in the late spring/early summer and take the middle route. It's the most boring, but shortest and has less desert than the southern route, and less mountain than the northern route.

bonedoc

Something to think about....since you have 3 guys going. I recovered my deuce from North Carolina and drove it only 400+ miles to Pennsylvania. Fortunately it was a trouble free venture and if your seller is honest and up front yours may be as well. To my point I had a friend go with me and he drove in a separate vehicle. This way we had a chase vehicle incase of break downs or mishaps we atleast could get parts or assistance instead of waiting for help. Might be a good idea to rent a car where the truck is one way to have a chase vehicle.

A lot of good info here. As stated, give yourself plenty of time, expect the best but plan for the worst. It may seem like a burden to have to plan and pay for stuff to be shipped to where the truck is or buy it when you get there but still way cheaper than having it fixed on the road. Unfortunately...as much as it sounds like a fun trip and the cheaper route to go. Just know that a recovery of that distance could be more aggravating and cost way more than if you had it shipped. Just keep an open mind and a cool head.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks