• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce turbo ideas

yolner

Does the housing mate up with the exhaust manifold ? If it does then you can use it. Will it be the best for your engine, who knows.

Hey rusty, was it you who had a thread about using a different turbo for the M35 a few months ago? Did you end up finding one that fit/was compatible?

rustystud

Hey rusty, was it you who had a thread about using a different turbo for the M35 a few months ago? Did you end up finding one that fit/was compatible?
Yes I found several. At the Turbo rebuild shop in Seattle I had several conversations with Xander (short for Alexander) the shop foreman. He gave me several leads on turbos that would fit and make good power for our Multifuel. I posted them a few months back. I don't remember them off hand. I'm into a totally different project now. I forget all the little details of my past projects after awhile.

winfred

i have a couple holset's a hx35 and he351vgt from dodge cummins i may try and see how they do, the vgt is amusing by the fact it can also be a exhaust brake and more likely the one ill focus on, i plan on running the rack with either a air cylinder or electric linear actuator, experiment with it and find a ideal open position for running and set a stop (maybe with a hand screw to adjust) then toggle between that and e-brake with a switch/switches. this place has manifold adapters http://cppdiesel.com/adapters-spacers/ it may be some time before i get to this as a project and will be put into a thread when i do but at the moment i am only good for ideas and teasers

HETvet

I don't think ether of those turbos would move enough air to be effective. I would look in to somethingoff of a series 60 Detroit, international DT466.

red

I don't think ether of those turbos would move enough air to be effective. I would look in to somethingoff of a series 60 Detroit, international DT466.
Due to the compression ratio of the multifuel a relatively small turbo is actually just about perfect for it. Also the stock turbo from the earlier mechanical DT466 engines is smaller than a hx35. The C turbo is more equivalent to a hx30.

Turbo map of a hx35. Paired with it's larger exhaust housing it would be a good match for the multifuel (on paper).

HX35wcompressormap.jpg

seabeehotrodder

red, thanks for the response. I have two turbos on the bench now, both used, but working, one is a Mitsubishi TD06-8 (56mm) and the other a mack truck garret TV6103 (80MM). the chart is greek to me at the moment, more research is needed on my part to safely proceed. would either of mine be close enough to be worth the fabrication effort. my goal is just a bit more for the road, with 46" tires (its singled out) it is hard to keep it at 55mph on the flats without it maxed out and still not going past 2400 rpm. would a better angle be to do the

Jericho

Red is on track, The 465 really cant take a lot of log term boost , don't even think your going to do a rice burner turbo at 25 psi !

winfred

kinda what i was thinking at 23:1 compression ratio too much past 15 maybe 20 psi and you'll end up with a decent connecting rod shaped boost leak in the block/oil pan, a more efficient design may be a nice improvement in airflow without excess boost (i have lds intake rockers awaiting me to have time to run some tests stock and swap em on for real world data of airflow change), and if i can make the vgt exhaust brake work off a air solenoid that would be groovy as not a ton happens when you back off the throttle at 60 in terms of natural deceleration, i just need to scare up a t6 to t4i adapter, that "i" is being a pain to find in a nice cheap ready made unit, t6-t4 aren't hard to come by but i may end up using 2 adapters and welding them together or better have one made if i can't modify a normal t4 adapter to match the t4i (think its bolt spacing, still researching off and on)

Due to the compression ratio of the multifuel a relatively small turbo is actually just about perfect for it. Also the stock turbo from the earlier mechanical DT466 engines is smaller than a hx35. The C turbo is more equivalent to a hx30.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks