• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce v. 5-ton for a bob-job

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just finished bobbing my deuce last week, Going to start bobbing my 5 ton soon, just picked up the springs and hangers today from Dave @ Eastern Surplus. I am a 5 ton person myself, powersteering and Cummins makes it nice.

JasonS

For those of you that have registered your bobbed deuces, what are you stating for the GVW? Are you even mentioning that an axle has been removed? Seems that might raise some flags at the DMV, like is it still safe to drive?
I initially licensed mine at 8k and then 10k. Again, it is up to the user to set GVW in my state. I described the changes to my truck and there was no issue with removing an axle. They, however, do care when an axle is added. Read up on the laws for your state.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G0 with the 5 ton. As for springs if money was of no concern then have custom spring made for the front and rear if you knew will not be needing load bearing capacities. Duel shocks front and rear. You will end up with a 5 ton that rides like a dream.

As said more power. rims and tires are made simple and factory power stearing.

I am allready gearing up for two 5 ton's. Don't know if I will bob but you got me thinking hard now.

I don't like the choise of beds though. looks like you are tring to make them look like a pick up truck out of them with the wheels wells being cut up. I thing they look better with the straight bed under side just sets higher.

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

Some facts.

Deuce front fenders and M105 bed are about the same width. Just over 7' I think. The 5 ton is 8' wide at the front fenders. I don't think a truck will look right with the back bed narrower than the front end.

If you plan to park with other vehicles at Lowes or walmart, that extra foot of width will kill you. Same is true for the length. A winch will also add some length.

Gross weight is much more comfortable with a deuce. My bob deuce was easy to drive, steer and brake. It weighed 11,000 pounds. I don't know how one could end up at 8,000 but stanger things have happened.

If you plan to do some serious turning and load hauling, the 5 ton springs will out perform the deuce all day. And the power steering is a great plus.

In the end you just need to decide what you plan to do with it and how all these things will factor in. For what it is worth, don't believe half of what you see and read on here. Pictures are very deceptive sometimes and some of our fellow SS pals are quite full of them selves (not suggesting any one on this thread qualifies). Have fun.

Joe Trapp

madsam

One other thing to think about. I would not worry about the weight of the 5ton parts as I have a 816 wrecker to lift things up with. If you have some sort of lift, it would help with a 5ton.

mtk

Not to steal the thread , but has any one seen or know what the spare tire holder is on one of these trucks( the deuce with it mounted behind the cab)

thanks tony
You're not stealing it at all, Tony, because I want to know the exact same thing! ;-)

It's the perfect spot for a spare, and it also allows the bed to be shifted back a touch, stretching the wheelbase enough to allow the big tires to clear the fuel tank.

I definitely want to know where to get one of those.

mtk

G0 with the 5 ton. As for springs if money was of no concern then have custom spring made for the front and rear if you knew will not be needing load bearing capacities. Duel shocks front and rear. You will end up with a 5 ton that rides like a dream.

As said more power. rims and tires are made simple and factory power stearing.

I am allready gearing up for two 5 ton's. Don't know if I will bob but you got me thinking hard now.

I don't like the choise of beds though. looks like you are tring to make them look like a pick up truck out of them with the wheels wells being cut up. I thing they look better with the straight bed under side just sets higher.
I can't argue that the M105 bed makes them start to look like a pick-up truck, albeit a military pick-up on steroids. But then again, that is kind of the point, at least to me. You've got huge axles, a big Cummins under the hood (that readily responds to turbocharging), and those big fenders seem read-made for big tires. :wink: I don't really need 14' of cargo bed, so the M105 cuts some weight and makes for a more maneuverable package.

I'm definitely going 5 ton, as there are just too many up sides to it to ignore.

A friend of mine has already converted a few to 12V electrics; I told him to keep that procedure in mind if this comes to pass. :grin:

Now to see if my insurance agent has a heart attack when I try and get a policy on a M813A1. :smile:

powersmoke18

those trucks are m818 tractors with the fifth wheel removed and the m105 bed put in place. no frame cutting involved. just take off the 5th wheel single out the rear and put the bed on. they retain the toolbox and spare tire holder that the original tractor had.

rockman

MTK, I am serious about getting with Dave is he is a good welder and has a HIAB knuckle boom on this deuce Plus, he like that kind of job now that he is retired.

Going once then go 5 ton..

Bill

foothill4play

Ok, Let me get this straight All you have to do on a M818 5-ton is relocate the drive axle, and put on a 105 trailer....plus you get the spare tire mount... Sounds to easy to me, I know i can't have one in cali unless I get a CDL... but hmmmm....

but, the m35 can run on UMO and alternative fuels... the cummins to my Knowledge is diesel only,.....

Last edited:

powersmoke18

hey it works!! just like that!! thats what they did to my truck and it looks great!! and from what i hear you can run waste motor oil in a cummins but you have to keep it mixed with diesel!!!

mtk

MTK, I am serious about getting with Dave is he is a good welder and has a HIAB knuckle boom on this deuce Plus, he like that kind of job now that he is retired.

Going once then go 5 ton..

Bill
Alas, I missed out on the 5 ton I had in mind. :cry:

Although, to be honest, given where it is located and the fact that it is a soft-top, I'm not really missing the ordeal to get it home! That would have been one long, cold drive. Soft tops and lake-effect snow blizzards don't mix.

But I'm definitely going to keep looking for a 5 ton of some sort, along with a M105 donor bed, M818 spare tire rack, and then some turbo parts from the local heavy truck scrap yard. ;-)

powersmoke18

hey i have some leads on those m818 spare tire racks let me know. plus your in pa so drivng it to your place would be no problem!!

trentM37

Today on ebay a seller has a bob duece and 5 ton. Some pictures have them side by side. Gives a person the difference in size ratio. These are on the west coast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks