• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Vs Russian Counterpart

Heath_h49008

Think about the BMPs and the BTRs... you always see the troops riding on the tops, because the air handling systems inside never work.

The Soviets had some very good ideas, but implementation requires you care about what you are building. The bosses didn't care, the workers didn't care, and the product showed as much.

rorybellows

they do have some wicked looking equipment tho. just pop on over to the youtoobs.

i remember seeing all sorts of radar trucks and tracked vehicles of all kinds at the boneyard up at taji

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Here is the Russian scout car. I bet they can pile at least 30 Spetsnaz in that for a covert mission.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

they do have some wicked looking equipment tho. just pop on over to the youtoobs.

i remember seeing all sorts of radar trucks and tracked vehicles of all kinds at the boneyard up at taji
Agreed...Taji did have a crapload of derelict russian equipment and some of it was pretty neat looking. I remember once at Fort Irwin here in CA at the NTC (pre- 9/11), we were out in the box, on a jump-site apart from the main BSA. We were holed up in a watie or a wash or whatever you call them small canyon type things, and as we were just chillaxin in the sun, a russian BMP came down from the top of the wash and just sat there. I was a little alarmed and decided to haul rear to the top of the ridge next to my truck and keep and eye on it...it then rolled through our site blasting everything along the way ( training excercise). I knew it was all fake but it was still pretty heart pounding when he started firing that cannon lol.

CobraCDR

I agree, most of it looks cool, but only if you're looking for a lawn orniment! With the BMPs, BRDMs, etc. they are great if you're 5' tall. I would have to have to ride in one of them with a top hatch open for head room, comfort was never part of the design.

Besides, for years I was trained to target that stuff.

NEIOWA

But one thing the Rooskies didn't copy was helicopter designs. Man, they can bulid some excellent helicopter.
Yeah, right up until it arrives at the scene of the crash.

Every time I see on the news some poor ignorant clueless reporter or State Dept drone flying around the mideast is some POS Mi-___ it confirms what a moronic "occupation" is. Fly in a Russian chopper or walk is an easy choice. WALK and watch the sky so the chopper doesn't crash on your head..

jstier

theres a whole gaggle of 'em around here. that and africans. and the gosh darn canadian/pakistani, sikh, and indian drivers. always poopin out the hole they cut in the sleeper cab because they run three deep. all so rude, and drive JUNKY equipment
I see it all the time going in and out of manufacturing plants. They get mad as **** because the guards can't understand thier Broken English.

The only way a Russian truck would be better, would be if it ran on Vodka and had a petcock on the fuel tank to fuel the driver.

Last edited:

1redgmc

But one thing the Rooskies didn't copy was helicopter designs. Man, they can bulid some excellent helicopter.
You nailed it! My son is in Afghanistan flying on Russian MI-17's and MI-23's and they simply can't be beat.

We could debate the recently taken out of service (in the USAF) MH-53 PaveLow as the far superior bird, but that would be pointless...

Regardless, the Russians build some nice stuff - but I'll still take my good old Made in the USA machinery any day of the week

1redgmc

Yeah, right up until it arrives at the scene of the crash.

Every time I see on the news some poor ignorant clueless reporter or State Dept drone flying around the mideast is some POS Mi-___ it confirms what a moronic "occupation" is. Fly in a Russian chopper or walk is an easy choice. WALK and watch the sky so the chopper doesn't crash on your head..
I respectfully disagree. In the current multi-national units in Afghanistan that are flying Russian birds - they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

ANYTHING will eventually fail without proper maintenance. In contrast - even the most meticulously maintained equipment cannot counter the sometimes negligent actions of the individual operating it.

[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks