• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with power and speed

Recht71

Got back from Gettysburg ,The Deuce run great .I put a LDS engine in it Last fall already had a aux gear box. I wanted more horsepower and torque, the LDS has that. I put m-37 on the trailer and go. We run 60mph at 2200, on the long grade and hill on the P.A turnpike the deuce can hold 5th quit bit longer then the Wildthing . In 4th pulls good Egr just under 1200 ,2200 rpm. Going east right a mile or so from the top egr just under 1300 .backed off the petal a little 1800 rpm at the top. 588 miles 77 gal. 7.6 mpg. On the way back going west put the 37 behind the chase truck they had go early. That way either truck could pull the other if somthing happened. The deuce pull all the hills in 5th no problem , when a diffrent route when got pass the hills .490 miles 62 gallons of fuel 7.9 mpg. not to much diffrent loaded or empty. Had to pull the Wildthing 14 miles and then ran up on Uncle Meat with a blown engine,pulled him to the next exit about 4 miles. For you guys putting an LDS engine in your Deuce you'll love it .

Attachments

midcounty

I have not ridden in a LDT powered Deuce, as mine came with a LDS. I would like to ride in another Deuce some day to see the difference. I will say I like the way mine runs :beer:

Recht71

Lds

I didn't have a thread on installing a LDS ,not hard . I have 900's I want the stock look. I got my LDS engine in a crate 500.00 it was a lucky fined. The 7041 spicer is mounted behind the high-low transfer.

Last edited:

rlwm211

Recht, glad to hear about the great running truck and the smooth trip to Carlisle and home!!!

I was quite fortunate to have a fresh rebuilt LDS in my deuce when I got it from GL. Runs out great carrying an S280 shelter on the back loaded with "stuff" (figure about 4k total weight and lot of wind resistance).

I often pull a trailer of about 3k and generally never have to downshift on main roads. But...never say never.....

The truck runs like a scalded...well you know, when it is empty.

Actually going to turn the fuel down a bit out of a concern for the excessive smoke with no other possible reason. This decision was the result of a great amount of investigation, consideration and a personal consultation with JT.

We will see how this goes, quite soon actually.
Turning the fuel down two flats is scheduled for tomorrow.

Just my two cents
RL

Last edited:

hdexpert

My Deuce came with lots of new parts: LDS, transfer case, master cylinder, air pack, cab, bed, front tires, dog bones. I'll be turning my fuel down soon, lots of black smoke. Love the LDS, huge difference in power from the LDT.

beaubeau

Comming SOON! A Deuce with Real Speed and Power!!!!???? Building with Camaro Frt. Clip, Strait Rail frame 3.55 rear 460CU.IN Ford with 3Sp auto. 1971 Deuce Cab, with 1987 Tilt Steering Collum from Chevy. Dual :driver::cookoo:[thumbzup]bucket seats. How fast can a Deuce Go???!!! Pics and Results to Fallow!!!

midcounty

Recht, glad to hear about the great running truck and the smooth trip to Carlisle and home!!!

I was quite fortunate to have a fresh rebuilt LDS in my deuce when I got it from GL. Runs out great carrying an S280 shelter on the back loaded with "stuff" (figure about 4k total weight and lot of wind resistance).

I often pull a trailer of about 3k and generally never have to downshift on main roads. But...never say never.....

The truck runs like a scalded...well you know, when it is empty.

Actually going to turn the fuel down a bit out of a concern for the excessive smoke with no other possible reason. This decision was the result of a great amount of investigation, consideration and a personal consultation with JT.

We will see how this goes, quite soon actually.
Turning the fuel down two flats is scheduled for tomorrow.

Just my two cents
RL
My Deuce came with lots of new parts: LDS, transfer case, master cylinder, air pack, cab, bed, front tires, dog bones. I'll be turning my fuel down soon, lots of black smoke. Love the LDS, huge difference in power from the LDT.
Do all the LDS engines smoke alot? I know mine does, and was wondering if it was any concern. I don't want to turn it down if I will loose the power, but if I can clear up some of the black smoke with out much loss in power I may want to do it.

hdexpert

Do all the LDS engines smoke alot? I know mine does, and was wondering if it was any concern. I don't want to turn it down if I will loose the power, but if I can clear up some of the black smoke with out much loss in power I may want to do it.
Read the thread by Sasquatch Santa about his LDS deuce. He had the same issues of black smoke and was able to adjust most of it out without loosing much if any power.

Billy Bobbed

I turned my fuel up,Im keeping my egts at or below 1200.But Ive heard people hitting 1300.Can anyone tell me what the egt danger zone is.Also I dont know what engine I have.I looked at the engine tag it does not tell me what engine I have.Its a white engine 1984.Is their a tag Im not seeing some were else on the engine.

tiger422

I turned my fuel up,Im keeping my egts at or below 1200.But Ive heard people hitting 1300.Can anyone tell me what the egt danger zone is.Also I dont know what engine I have.I looked at the engine tag it does not tell me what engine I have.Its a white engine 1984.Is their a tag Im not seeing some were else on the engine.

Check out banks turbo web site alot of good reading.
He says 1300 all day, above that things get bad quick.

Recht71

lots of information on egr temp seems 1300 or under is safe. On a hard pull it will get close to 1300 ,if you put the pedal to the medal it will get to 1300 just let up a hair you won't drop rpm and the temp will drop a little . On this last trip thats what I found . My LDS dosen't smoke to bad . You can mess with the fuel if want ,but I would sure install a PYRO. just what I have done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks