• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deucey Bobbie is DONE!!! Pics!

100dollarman

I got a Deuce stolen and we recovered it, but all the rear tires were torn up from climbing rock mountains. Springs were out of their perches so I had to take it apart. So I decided to bob this one. I have been wanting to bob a Deuce anyways.

Here are some pics getting started-

I havent decided which bed I will use, or which tires. I have almost all sizes of tires to use. I put a 14-20 on a stock rim (looks better than I thought!). Will widen wheels later. These tires are 49" tall and I will probably try to use these.

I have regular Deuce beds that I can cut down, and I have 105 beds. Really learning and decided as I go. I am using the 105 springs. Can someone tell me how to connect the 105 spring to the axle housing? What about spring locator pins? Which spring plate? I cant use the u-bolts from the 105, but can get whatever size I need.

The rivets were a bitch! I torched them off, then air hammered them out- but they werent coming without a fight!

My plan for today is to try to get the axle installed, get the driveline lengthened (or at least take it to the driveline shop). If I can figure out how to mount the 105 springs on the axle. Then will decide which bed, and where exactly to place it. Then see what kind of tire clearance I have for tires. Or, I may put the tires on and decide to custom build a bed. !!! Like I said, I am deciding as I go!

This one is a learning experiment- I will know what to do with the next one! I have some new 53" Michelins that I would like to fit on one.

I'll update as I go- I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Deucey Bobbie

I've seen this come up a few times...with respect to the rivets...but I'll say, doesn't it make you feel good to know that they are solidly in there rofl

55Cameo

Yes, those rivets are a pain. I blew the heads off with a smoke wrench and then turned the torch and blew out some of the center of the rivet. Then, while still hot used an air hammer to push them out. Works much better when you take a little material out of the center and heat it up while doing so. They come out like hot butter when you do that.

100dollarman

Made some progress today. Yesterday, I gave myself a headache trying to figure out how to attach the 105 springs to the axle. Talked to Offroadfabworks- got some great info-thx! This is what I came up with--

I was trying to use parts that I already have without spending too much $$$. I was thinking that I needed a set of front Deuce spring plates and u- bolts. Didnt need those. I ended up using some plates (top and bottom) from the trailer, and I found a guy near me that has a u- bolt making machine (very nice!). I stacked 2 pcs of 2x3x1/4 tube 3 1/2" long, welded and boxed them so they have a guideplate on the axle so they wont move. Drilled a hole in the top of the spacer for the spring bolt. This gives me a 4" lift block that should make the truck about level when done.

I mounted the springs back a little farther than most do. I need to lengthen the driveshaft 11 3/4" to fit and it will be drivable! Cant wait! I need to test fit the 14-20 tire, and then get 3 more mounted up. Once I get the big wheels/tires on, I will test fit the trailer bed again, and decide if I will use it, or something else.

Still need to chop the frame (not sure where yet- need to fit bed first), mount the rear frame crossmember and bumpers and lights, and get the brake lines back together. Then paint.

I cant wait to finish this one up, already looking forward to the next one!

Here are a couple of pics from today-

Attachments

100dollarman

Offroadfabworks said:
rofl after all that time on the phone i told you it was just easier to get them custom made vs trying to ship some....

Are you one of those guys who are always right??? LOL!

I found this guy at a custom offroad shop (sounds familiar, huh?) about 10 miles from me with a BADDA$$ U- bolt machine and he whipped them right up. I want one of those machines!

He didnt charge me too much, either.

you really helped me get my head around the situation- thx again! It was kinda funny- yesterday nothing worked, but today I was a genius and everything came together!

100dollarman

Got the driveshaft lengthened 11 3/4" today, and got one more wheel/tire done. Tomorrow we'll install the DS, and the 2 rear wheels so we can set the bed on, and finish up the rear frame area.
Looks like I will running the stock wheels with the dish 'out' in the rear, and regular in the front.

100dollarman

superburban said:
100dollarman said:
Looks like I will running the stock wheels with the dish 'out' in the rear, and regular in the front.
Why dont you flip the hubs?
I didnt really know about that. Can someone point me to a good link of a thread that shows how to do that? I would hate to have to switch the tires again (they are a real B), but maybe I will if I have to. Thanks!

100dollarman

Always behind schedule as usual!

I was out on a miniMOG delivery all day today, but my guy got the other rear tire on, frame cut, bed set on (not welded yet- still looking at it. Prttey good space between the cab and the bed-- I am going to hang a couple of GI cans in there- that should help take up the space), DS in, brakes hooked up.

We got the third wheel/tire done today- hopefully we'll get the other one tomorrow-

Tomorrow I hope to get the rear bumpers/pintle hitch/taillights installed, front wheels installed, bed welded on. I'll get it cleaned up real good, Then it'll be done except for paint. May flip the hubs in the rear, but I have to reseach that, and may do it later.

Here is a pic of what it looks like tonite--

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Prttey good space between the cab and the bed-- I am going to hang a couple of GI cans in there- that should help take up the space), DS in, brakes hooked up.
I got a couple of HUMVEE fording kit exhaust pipes that I am going to have made into dual stacks that will go in the space between my factory built flatbed and the cab.

I'll post pics when it is done.

100dollarman

Capt.Marion said:
Looking good. I like those tires. Can't wait to see more, keep it up!
Thanks! Here are some progress pics from today. Tomorrow all I have to do is mount the taillights, paint the bed, get her cleaned up inside and out, and if I can figure out how to flip the rear hubs- I may try to do that tomorrow. It doesnt look too bad with the rear wheels sticking out a bit, but I want to see what it will look like witht the hubs flipped.

Attachments

100dollarman

Djfreema said:
Looks good! You gonna bring that to the camping trip in a few weeks? Does it feel like you have alot of axle wrap with those blocks and tires?

Thx! I will be bringing it unless I get another one done by then! I am doing them to have fun with, but also to sell. So, we'll see if I still have it --- hopefully I will!

I cant detect any axle wrap yet-- but it has been a conern and I have put alot of thought into it- thats why I have built everything extra HD- the spacer, all the plates, etc. I am thinking it has the same perch as a regular stock spring perch, so...? I couldnt see how it would be any worse than a stock set-up. But the tires being so big may cause it to wrap- we'll see...

I think on the next one I will weld the space onto the frame and mount the springs directly on top of the axle- that might be better.

Hope to post some pics after paint tomorrow.

Looking forward to the MV weekend!