• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deutsch or Weatherpak connectors for my DIY harnesses

ramdough

All,

I am making some DIY harnesses for things like lights, diesel heater, etc….

I would like to connectorize it some.

Does anyone have a connector series they prefer?

Some need to be water tight…. Some will not.

Do you prefer a different brand all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhawk13205

I like the deutch connectors. The barrel crimps are superior in my option to the weather pack fold over tabs. The barrel 4 crimp is what is commonly used in aviation circular cannon plugs. The style crimp tool I use is the AF8 with the universal positioner.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve used both, yes the weather pack connectors are bulky but I’ve never had a problem with them. That are also inexpensive. As long as they are crimped correctly I don’t think you should have a problem.

As pointed out above the deutsch connectors are more compact. Certainly a factor when thinking of pulling them through a rubber boot into the cab or some such place.

ramdough

I like the deutch connectors. The barrel crimps are superior in my option to the weather pack fold over tabs. The barrel 4 crimp is what is commonly used in aviation circular cannon plugs. The style crimp tool I use is the AF8 with the universal positioner.
I have an AF8, What positioner do you have or recommend?

Skyhawk13205

I have an AF8, What positioner do you have or recommend?

i use the UH2-5. It has a set screw to position the contacts, it is very nice when you are working with a bunch of different pin sizes, the problem is it is easy to not position them right and get a badcrimp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks