• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deutsch or Weatherpak connectors for my DIY harnesses

ramdough

All,

I am making some DIY harnesses for things like lights, diesel heater, etc….

I would like to connectorize it some.

Does anyone have a connector series they prefer?

Some need to be water tight…. Some will not.

Do you prefer a different brand all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhawk13205

I like the deutch connectors. The barrel crimps are superior in my option to the weather pack fold over tabs. The barrel 4 crimp is what is commonly used in aviation circular cannon plugs. The style crimp tool I use is the AF8 with the universal positioner.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve used both, yes the weather pack connectors are bulky but I’ve never had a problem with them. That are also inexpensive. As long as they are crimped correctly I don’t think you should have a problem.

As pointed out above the deutsch connectors are more compact. Certainly a factor when thinking of pulling them through a rubber boot into the cab or some such place.

ramdough

I like the deutch connectors. The barrel crimps are superior in my option to the weather pack fold over tabs. The barrel 4 crimp is what is commonly used in aviation circular cannon plugs. The style crimp tool I use is the AF8 with the universal positioner.
I have an AF8, What positioner do you have or recommend?

Skyhawk13205

I have an AF8, What positioner do you have or recommend?

i use the UH2-5. It has a set screw to position the contacts, it is very nice when you are working with a bunch of different pin sizes, the problem is it is easy to not position them right and get a badcrimp.