• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel additive

THEROAD

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Power Service Additives

I problem with veggie oil is it gets cold in the northern lands. That stuff freezes around 40 degrees. Mixed with lots of diesel it should be ok. I am going to try 2 cycle oil. I know that stuff will not hurt anything; but it is expensive. So is peanut oil.
Do anyone know what the seals on the old deuces are made of?

flippydidit

Wow, there's a lot of good information in this thread. Sure are a lot of conflicting ideas as well. For the guys that brought up biodiesel as a lubricant.....awesome idea. I'm in fact setting mine up to run directly off biodiesel. The fuel filters will be replaced a few times just like you mentioned. Just another condition/side effect I thought should be mentioned. Seals aren't the only thing that must be able to handle the biodiesel. Not all fuel lines are up to the task. They may take longer to succumb, but they are still vulnerable.

-Keep 'em shooting

Nate
Army Infantry 9 1/2 yrs. '97-'06
Gunsmith/Government Weapons Contractor
1985 M1008A1 (slightly modified)

steelandcanvas

I use the Disel-Kleen additive in both of my diesels, my '71 Deuce and my '97 Dodge Cummins. I am happy with the performance of both...well I might want to turn the pump up on the Deuce a little, and get rid of that pesky muffler, and put a turbo on, and .......

THEROAD

You are right about the fuel lines. Bio-diesel does not like old rubber or copper (yellow metal).

scooter01922

I'm with jatonka, Marvel mystery oil is great stuff. I run it in everything i own, mostly as an oil additive. Got that habit from my father who started after an uncle ( aircraft mechanic) absolutely swore the stuff was liquid gold for your engine. Neither of us have had any engines fail yet and the stuff gives you one hell of a mileage boost if you put some in your tank before a long trip. For a month or so after my car gets at least a few MPG better and i figure its due to the MMO and the long duration at highway speeds cleaning out the crud in my engine.

tracy

darn the hffr rating page wont come up,,,it was a good read about how some of the adds that were
mentioned here lessen the lube properties of the new diesel. only trying to help share some info guys

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter

"atf= oh no, friction modifiers,the reason your bands dont slip!"

Glad to see SOMEONE here is on the ball. ATF also contains silicone. When silicone gets hot, as in during compression, it crytallizes, causing harmful abrasion. Not a good thing for the cylinders.

CDN-CUCV

At the risk of straying off-topic, I'm curious if an outboard motor-type oil reservoir could be adapted to supply a regulated amount of additive? Having a couple of gallons onboard mixing itself would be a nice idea.

ssgtwright-usmc

I think what we need here now is to start a new thread about all of the diesel additives mentioned in this post and have a poll on which is the best.
I would start it but I have never used the poll option before so I am not rally sure how to set it up here.
Im just curiouse to see what the results would be from the poll.
What diesel additive rates supreme???????

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Stanadyne Performance Formula in the 7.3 Powerstroke, 1.9 VW TDI, and the John Deere. I started using Stanadyne back when I bought my first 6.2 GM and religiously used it with the 6.5. Does it help? Nothing scientific but the 6.5 was running strong when I sold it with 165k miles on a green tag DS4 injection pump(some will say that is a feat in itself). Not sure I would run ATF or anything that might give fuel a red color in a highway vehicle - way too much explaining at a fuel checkpoint.
FWIW,
Chad

tracy

i run waly world blue bottle 2 stroke oil 1oz. per gal.. stanadyne lube as i have read is verry good but is hard to find here.wally world is close
one more note on atf-in the old days when grandpa would run it, it was very different.
it was plain old hrdrolic fluid which is good -but now way to many adds that will over time harm ip and injectors imo...

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Power Service Additives

tracy said:
i run waly world blue bottle 2 stroke oil 1oz. per gal.. stanadyne lube as i have read is verry good but is hard to find here.wally world is close
one more note on atf-in the old days when grandpa would run it, it was very different.
it was plain old hrdrolic fluid which is good -but now way to many adds that will over time harm ip and injectors imo...
10-4 on the ATF - have heard the same thing about old vs. new.

I have had good luck buying Standyne products by the case from Blue Ridge Diesel in Salem, VA:
http://www.blueridgediesel.com/

No connection just a satisfied customer.
Chad

aboonski

There's another additive that I was told about when I was up at Redstone retrieving my MEP002a genset that does something to clean out your fuel tank and injectors while it flows through the system and I forgot the name of it. The fuel in the tank in the genset was nasty looking stuff and the bottom of the tank looks rusty. I went through this entire thread but did not recognize the brand name of the additive anywhere. Just wondering if anyone knows what I am referring to?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

I've used acetone in both diesel and gas engines for years. My father uses it as well.

Like it or don't like it. Use it or don't use it. Your call. I've gotten good results. With no harm to any rubber seals. At least none to the ones I kept in a sealed jar with acetone and rubber seals for a month. I mic'ed them when they went in and I mic'ed them when they came out. ZERO CHANGES. Nor have I had any problems on any vehicles I've used acetone in.

http://www.prolong.com/auto_main.html

I've used Prolong products since 1991. They have saved my butt on one occasion that I KNOW OF FOR A FACT.

But those are just my experiences. Your milage may vary.

stampy

bio=great lube but will clog filters quick
atf= oh no, friction modifiers,the reason your bands dont slip!
diesel kleen=run only the stated amount,the solvents cancel lube properties
marvel mystery oil=omg pure solvent,only put that in your enemies tank
sea foam=forget it its only alchohol
30wt non detergent motor oil=lubes pretty good
2 stroke tcw3(ashless) 1 ounce per gal. diesel will get you the closest to the old sulpher diesel and will net you a little better milage

While I normally agree with most here....I have to disagree with Biofuel clogging filters. If you do the reaction properly an filter correctly no probs. I have been running a diesel Benz for way over a year on a blend of diesel and wvo that is centrifuged( 20/80 or 50/50 winter) I have no problems. I do occasionally run a little diesel kleen or purge. If you run Biodiesel you must change out your wetted rubber parts or they will degrade from the methanol in the reaction unless you wash your bio and produce to ASTM standards.