• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel

Nonotagain

I have an m1008 with a 6.2L i want to put the 6.6L LB7 in it, is their a kit or can i just swap them and get a new harness?
The Izuzu diesel makes a lot more hp than the 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel does. You would have to replace the transmission and transfer case or it will suffer an enrly demise.

As for a kit to install, I'm sure someone does, but you'll need to also need to replace the instrument cluster as well as an ECM.

Not practical unless you have a endless supply of time and money on your hands.

niferous

If you want power and you had money for that Isuzu motor why not go with a Cummins 5.9 ISB? These have been done before and finding parts will be a lot easier. You can find a wrecked truck with one in it and go from there. Plus with after market support the way of plug and play modules, injectors, etc etc you can get a lot of horse power and torque for not much money. Plus adapters, engine mounts, etc should be readily available.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a banks turbo and turn up the fuel 1/4 turn. You and your wallet will be happier.

Victor

chevycrawler,
Have you explored option to install IHC motor?
I think DT466 will fit very nicely. If DT466 is not available DT360 is not bad ether.
You can buy one of this out of school bus for about $1,500 - $2,500. And if you choose earlier then 1994 no electronics needed. You also going to need a plate to fit from your SAE2 bell housing to your trany. I guess $500 or so.

DT466 can pull up to 300 HP 600 Lb/ft @2,000 RPM without changing parts just tune it correctly. Up to 600HP upgrading turbo + adjustments. If you are picky, for about $5,000 upgrades your can reach limit about 1,400 HP.

DT360 is the little brother. Smaller dimensions. It has almost the same (-10%) potentials.

Think about.

niferous

I forgot to mention that the LB7 had problems with their injectors that GM warrantied for something like 7 years. I bet they won't with the engine in a 198something swap job. Just something to think about. Do you have a wrecked Chevrolet/GMC with the diesel motor in it or something?

Nonotagain

chevycrawler,
Have you explored option to install IHC motor?
I think DT466 will fit very nicely. If DT466 is not available DT360 is not bad ether.
You can buy one of this out of school bus for about $1,500 - $2,500. And if you choose earlier then 1994 no electronics needed. You also going to need a plate to fit from your SAE2 bell housing to your trany. I guess $500 or so.

DT466 can pull up to 300 HP 600 Lb/ft @2,000 RPM without changing parts just tune it correctly. Up to 600HP upgrading turbo + adjustments. If you are picky, for about $5,000 upgrades your can reach limit about 1,400 HP.

DT360 is the little brother. Smaller dimensions. It has almost the same (-10%) potentials.

Think about.
An M1008 is a CUCV, basic 3/4-1 ton pick-up truck. If you fins a way to shoe horn a DT-466 into one of these, please post pics.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LBZ doesn't have the injector issues the LLY had. As for the DT vs Cummins, have you driven the two? The B will run circles around the DT. I have had both on the dyno and the B is a much harder running engine and has better holding power. The DT makes OK power but falls off very fast.

If it were me, i'd do a 230 HP mechanical B with a P pump. The VP44 ISB is a noisy, expensive pig. But what do I know:roll:

eric_banks32

I say go with the D-max. As far as everyday drivability and mileage it far surpasses everything else. There isn't a kit as far as I know but mounts and crossmembers arn't hard to make if you have the right tools. The hardest part would be the wiring. You will also wan't to keep the allison if you can. But I'd love to have one with a nv4500 behind it just to add to the fun.

The Duramax would be the best in my opinion. You can run an Allison behind it if you have the money to burn. I do know they put the 4L80E behind the Duramax in the vans. A company called PCS makes A harness for the 4L80E and i believe to also make one for the Allison. As far as the engine harness I'm not sure.

Croatan_Kid

Do a search in this forum. Somebody posted a brochure for a special order Chevy trucks with a Cummins in it. It obviously didn't go over very well or GM would have been on top of the Cummins contract instead of Diamler Chrysler/Dodge. I do know they made plenty of the P30 vans with 4BTs in them.

My opinion: If you're set on a motor swap, I'm very happy with my Cummins swap. Stick to the VE or P pump motors, I'd never purposely put a VP44 motor in my own truck and it's really hard to beat the realiability and power of a P-pump 12 valve. The Duramax swap would be nice, that's really what I wanted to do, but the Cummins needed less than 10 wires to make it run, function properly, and work all of my gauges. I'd imagine a Duramax would need a few thousand and would be well over triple what a mechanical Cummins would cost. Not to discourage you, just to inform you. If you have the time, money and resources, I'd love to see a Duramax swap! I'd be very jealous and I'm pretty sure it'd haul asses!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks