• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

differences between rims?

Section8

Ok. Before I get bombarded with the "use the search function" garbage. I did use it for the better part of 4 days. I have read and read lots of threads. Can't find what I am looking for still.
It was a looooong time ago that I read a thread about the differences between 2 piece rims. It even had a picture or two where a member had all the rims lined up to view widths and such. Hemmt to stock.
I am trying to figure out which rims to get. One vendor here has some take off's from an A3 that he would sell me for 250 a rim, another vendor has four 20x11 rims he would sell me for 1500.
The second vendor doesn't know if they are from M35a3 or not. They are black in color not od green like all rims I have seen here in Canada.
So question is this.
Where is that thread about the differences between rims?
What are the differences?
Which is the better choice?
I know the A3 rims have a smaller bead flange, but which rims have more options for tires, military or civilian types?
Thanks
Let the flogging begin.

goldneagle

The advantage of the A3 rims is that they are already set up the the Deuce bolt pattern. Most of the other rims will need to be modified with center plates to fit the Deuce bolt pattern. (this is all assuming you are trying to get rims for super singles) otherwise just get regular Deuce rims. They are dirt cheap. (probably $50 or so with tire still mounted)

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where's my whip??? The real question to you is , what tire do you want to run? Super singles? go with the A3 wheel. As Golden E stated, they are patterned for the deuce. There is the Oring to deal with, potential leaks from rusty wheel halves,
need to clean and paint them, oh and the valve stem grommet, replace them also. Good wheels just require a little extra maintenance.

Section8

Ok. Let me be a little clearer. I own a 1956 GMC M135. I am looking for better rims and tires for the future since I am sure one of mine is bent and another has the stud holes all mangled from some idiot in the past not making sure they were snugged and torqued properly.
I do know the A3 rims are set up for the proper bolt patter, 6x 8.75.
What I am getting at is trying to find the thread that a few fellows back in the day Did when singling your wheels was new and everyone and their dog wanted them, adversely driving the cost of rims and tires threw the roof. ��
Was told be a local vendor if I wanted them like 5 years ago I coulda got all 6 for a grand with rubber already on! ��
Back to the point. I am trying to consider my options. The 20x11 rims and the A3 rims both have 6x 8.75 bolt patterns. I do know the A3 has smaller bolt flange.
I want to see the old thread for the pictures showing the different rims and listing their dimensions and pros and cons of all. From stock to modified Hemmt.
Biggest thing is trying to figure which will be easier to get tires for since military tires aren't easy to come by in my neck of the woods.
As far as the A3 rims with rust and valve stems or CTIS, it will all get eliminated and run tubes.

Section8

Thanks that looks awesome and helpful if I look for Hemmt or MRAP rims to modify but not really what I was looking for.
The picture I remember is of the different rims laying on someone's garage or shop floor and with a write up describing the pros and cons of each.

Section8

Yea Baby!!! That's the one I was remembering!!!! Thanks Doghead! Guess I should have been looking at large tire threads to since that is how the different rim combos came about.
Now to figure out best bead option and ultimately tire availability.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 rims are lighter giving a little less unsprung weight, will fit with no adapter, and accept about any of the large military tires. And they are available NEW for three hundred dollars each.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The A3 rims tend to be impacted by rust the worst of any of the o-ring rims I've played with. I personally like recentered HEMTTs or MRAP wheels with adapter plates best. While they're heavier, I've had way less trouble out of them.

Section8

Hemmts would be nice but were I am from it just isn't a monetarily possible option.
I am now also considering building my own rims. Just buy a standard 20 inch rim for heavy trucks with no centre, commercially available, and add the center section myself.
Just want the best rim I can easily get tires for since surplus military tires are hard to come buy.
If I got the A3 rims, or if they turn out to be Canadian MLVW rims, I would strip them and blast them with some good rust inhibitor and repaint.
Anyone know what type of bead commercial truck tires have? Time to search!��

Last edited:

Special T

If it were me, I would find some 20" California, demountable, chassis wheels and weld the rim up like in the picture. If you take your time you could make the suppoerts curved so that thwy would not interfear with the hub so that you could run them with the modifications facing the truck. It may help.avoid unwanted attention on the road. Standard rim width for 395s is 10". Commerial flaps are available and I would either use 13-1400r20 tubes. IF you can find some 14/80r20 tires on wheels that are holding air you could use those tubes and flapps.

uploadfromtaptalk1407693387437.jpg

Special T

This design is currently In Use for farm use. I think the best way to do it is to plama torch the chassis wheel to the correct width, line up the tube slot and weld it up. You should be able to find the wheels pretty cheap. The tubes and flaps may rum. $50-75 ea. Hope this DYI budget idea helps you out. Not exactly street legal but... also making the wheel the correct width will make the tire fit under the fender better.
uploadfromtaptalk1407693882873.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407693882873.jpg

country

Supporting Vendor
we have 2 options

dave

www.easternsruplus.net

NEW- Military Issue SINGLE RIMS for your M35A2 or M35A3- enables you to run single tires, without “ flipping the hubs”.
These are 2 piece rims, with all of the nuts to bolt the halves together, new o-ring, new valve stem $545 each

Eastern Surplus is now manufacturing their own custom SUPER SINGLE RIMS, these rims will allow you to run single tires on your M35A2 in either the steer or drive position without having to “ flip the hubs” or modify the axle ends. The wheels are reversible and the lug holes are double chamfered to accommodate the lug nuts on ANY AXLE POSITION. We offer these with or without tires. They are all tubeless design, 1/2 inch center disk manufacture.
Tires available: Michelin & Goodyear- 395/85 R20 and similar
The rims and tires are in stock for immediate shipment- NO WAIT
Rims $575 each- FOB our yard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- we can ship truck freight

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This may not be what you are looking for, but it's a shot of several different rims for a 5 ton. I run re-centered HEMTT wheels on my bobbed deuce. I got them from Stazworks.
Took liberty of addressing one point to that image. The HEMTT wheels won't bolt onto the front of a 5 ton without longer studs or wheel modification.

HEMTT vs 5ton 20x10 2pc wheels.jpg

Now, when it comes to these wheels being used on a deuce. There's multiple ways to go at it.

M35A3 wheels
1 piece custom wheels (Long's wheel and a few others make them)
Recentered HEMTTs
Recentered FMTVs
Recentered 5 ton combats
Adapter plates-
MRAP, PLS, MTVR
There's also a few people that have made bolt pattern adapters for 6 lug to 10 lug.

Alternatively there's widened M35 tubed wheels. Recentered dayton wheels. Or pretty much anything under the sun that people come up with. Only problem with these are the risks involved. (Liability) Course the same can be said for anything outside the A3 wheel (Any recentered wheels or plates).

welldigger

Ok. Before I get bombarded with the "use the search function" garbage. I did use it for the better part of 4 days. I have read and read lots of threads. Can't find what I am looking for still.
It was a looooong time ago that I read a thread about the differences between 2 piece rims. It even had a picture or two where a member had all the rims lined up to view widths and such. Hemmt to stock.
I am trying to figure out which rims to get. One vendor here has some take off's from an A3 that he would sell me for 250 a rim, another vendor has four 20x11 rims he would sell me for 1500.
The second vendor doesn't know if they are from M35a3 or not. They are black in color not od green like all rims I have seen here in Canada.
So question is this.
Where is that thread about the differences between rims?
What are the differences?
Which is the better choice?
I know the A3 rims have a smaller bead flange, but which rims have more options for tires, military or civilian types?
Thanks
Let the flogging begin.
$250 a wheel for a3 wheels is a good price. The A3 wheel has the most tire options with its mpt bead flange. Whereas a 5 ton wheel (and most other 2 piece combat wheels) have the industrial bead flange and you are restricted to only using tires with the same type bead.

Section8

First off I have to say thank you to everyone who is sending some offers for their rims! That's one thing I love about the MV world. Everyone is willing to help a guy out.
Gonna have to say no thank you though. Most of you great folks live waaaaaaay down yonder. Checked on some shipping quotes, yikes! I could buy a fully restored truck for the same cost of rims plus shipping and cross border duties plus hassles with customs.
Still gonna check out tire options for A3 rims commercially available since as I stated in my area, military surplus equipment and tires is really hard to come by.

welldigger

If your looking to go with a commercial tire then a3 or canadian mlvw wheels would be the way to go. Actually the mlvw wheels would be your best bet. Then a3 wheels after that.

Special T

I just looked up where Little Fort BC is. :cry: Canadians get dinnged pretty good on duties and shipping to way past Kamloops is gona be spendy for sure. Legalities aside making your own supersingle wheel would likely be the cheapest. I bet you can find the chassie wheels for cheep $20-40 ea. NEW tubes and flaps would run you about $100 to your door per wheel. Then it would just be a matter of cutting and welding the gussets and wheels together.

Does this rig get that much on road time or is mostly dirt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks