• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

differences between rims?

The King Machine

Hey Section8!

I made my own adapter plates for HEMTT rims using CNC equipment. I still have the DXF file handy, for a fellow Canadian the best deal you will find anywhere.
Also I've made a few friends in Washington State and Oregon. Rims and Tires for decent price and minimum shipping costs.
Your up near Kamloops not too far of a drive. The A3 rim beads were a little too shallow for my liking. If you need to air down often for off road applications the taller HEMTT style is preferred......if you ask me.

PM me for details

Also we have an old M135 sitting behind the barn if you are looking for parts.

Last edited:

Section8

Special T, my rig will mostly be an on road rig. I would need to have DOT approved rims. We have lots of DOT random stops and inspectors who like to give guys a hard time if they even look at the DOT the wrong way.
I agree that A3 rims have a very shallow bead height. Makes me nervous. I am still researching bead depth on commercially available tires.
The King Machine, definitely interested in your M135 you say is sitting behind your barn.
Does it run? Whole or parts?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. Before I get bombarded with the "use the search function" garbage. I did use it for the better part of 4 days. I have read and read lots of threads. Can't find what I am looking for still.
It was a looooong time ago that I read a thread about the differences between 2 piece rims. It even had a picture or two where a member had all the rims lined up to view widths and such. Hemmt to stock.
I am trying to figure out which rims to get. One vendor here has some take off's from an A3 that he would sell me for 250 a rim, another vendor has four 20x11 rims he would sell me for 1500.
The second vendor doesn't know if they are from M35a3 or not. They are black in color not od green like all rims I have seen here in Canada.
So question is this.
Where is that thread about the differences between rims?
What are the differences?
Which is the better choice?
I know the A3 rims have a smaller bead flange, but which rims have more options for tires, military or civilian types?
Thanks
Let the flogging begin.
Read through this thread.

www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48204-Canadian-MLVW-wheels&p=1302170&highlight=#post1302170

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued' Rim difference G749 to 66 coach bus

We found a bad lock ring on our 8.25 / 20 rims for the yellow bus. Do the lock rings off our 1950's 9.00 / 20 or 11.00 / 20 early deuce fit the 1960's 8.25/20 GM bus rim?

20170626_135024.jpg20170703_201407.jpg20170706_155346.jpg

Kal Tire found some new rubber for our Civil Defence bus and we have one marginal rim with a destroyed lock ring.

20170707_150159.jpg 20170706_112202.jpg20170626_144649.jpg20170626_144745.jpg

Mattech had one spare G749 NOS ring so we'll pass it to the Kal Tire boys Monday and get their answer. If anyone has swapped these out and been successful it would be good to have that info. Replacement 8.25 / 20 rims have been tough to find so far.

20170707_203922.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 6 lug 22.5 tubeless rims available

That way you can run modern tires
We may end up going there quickfarms, eventually. We're only doing one show this year, 30 miles from home base so without compromising safety, we're keeping a low budget.

I was just hoping someone from our lock ring team played with the various width GM rings and could say, without a doubt, that all 20" lock rings fit all 20" rims.

We're heading north into the bush tomorrow to keep looking for complete 8.25 rims for now and we'll hear from Kal Tire Monday.

Special T

Canadian wheel is who you should talk to about tubeless wheels if you go that route.

Your wheel looks like a 2 live lock ring and military style lock rings only work on military wheels. What you likely need is another bead band like the one in the pic. You need to find the numbers and or take a shot at the split edge/cross section of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firestone Accuride

Canadian wheel is who you should talk to about tubeless wheels if you go that route.

Your wheel looks like a 2 live lock ring and military style lock rings only work on military wheels. What you likely need is another bead band like the one in the pic. You need to find the numbers and or take a shot at the split edge/cross section of it.

You know your stuff SpecialT.....even with partial info you picked up on these being a 2 piece lock ring, 3 piece rim.

20170710_120321.jpg

.......and the part about military vs. civilian, you nailed it. Not even close. Thanks for helping keep things straight.

20170710_114409.jpg

We're moving forward, found part of the part numbers......Firestone Accuride, 26954.....0? and 090276.....1? Since we're on a museum budget,....I don't want to say it too loud yet but.....Kal tire is eating all the extra costs for the work, parts hunt and even the new ring WHEN we find it.

Once we're rolling with rubber on, I'll scream their praises loudly and for now, thanks for the info gents!

20170710_120704.jpg

Special T

The second pic from the bottom looks like the correct single piece lock ring. Most shops hate 2 live lock rings because their less experienced guys bend them. Yours are just old.

I've had good experiences with KAL Tire