• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc Brake Engineering Thread

winfred

was tossing that idea around in my head with a hand lever like a rally car to actuate units on front and back axles, complete backup braking system that has no connection to the service brakes, I imagine the pads would cook nicely if not a serious race compound given the mechanical advantage is against the brakes, use for parking and emergency only

I like the pinion brake set-up. That way if your driveline breaks you still have emergency braking.

gentrysgarage

All right guys I am about to embark on putting the F550/B700 brakes on front the M135, and I need some help. Can someone tell me how thick the metal is on top of and on the bottom of the king pins for the caliper bracket? Secondly has anybody installed the wheel studs that were suggested in this thread or something else? Thanks in Advance!

DB556

I know its a thread necro, but anyone that has done the disc swap.
What did you use for brakes hoses for the front and rear? I'm working on mine conversion and its time for hoses.
I could have customs made by my local hydraulic shop but I'd rather be able to go to napa and get something.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving this thread.

So how do you run the rear setup with the mentioned parts with the hubs in the normal A2 configuration to run duals? All the pics I’ve seen so far are flipped for singles like the A3 truck.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepsinker

Reviving this thread.

So how do you run the rear setup with the mentioned parts with the hubs in the normal A2 configuration to run duals? All the pics I’ve seen so far are flipped for singles like the A3 truck.

Am I missing something?

You have to use a different caliper bracket that gets welded to the axle tube instead of a bolt on bracket. It has to mount farther inboard than the existing drum backing plate flange allows.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With this 6 wheel disc brake upgrade using the F550/F700/IHC 1652 parts—did anyone upgrade to larger brake lines or did they run the same size the truck came with? I plan on replacing all mine anyways, just getting my parts together. I got peashooters list of parts needed to go with the original size if that’s what they are. I’m using a dual circuit hydromax MC if that makes a difference.

DB556

I'm thinking the same about the brakes lines, I'm putting in all 1/4 of the new nickel/copper lines for the hard lines, for the hose, I'm going to see if front lines from a 1994 B700 will work. If I have custom lines I have to a few extra laying around, and the b700 lines are an autozone away.

Bigblue69

I found the following thread from Pirate 4x4. Uses 1994 Ford F-700 Bus rotors, rear calipers from a 2001 Ford F-550, and a master cylinder from a 1985 Chevy K30. On the last page of the thread a vendor is selling a front/rear kit for $1500 without brake hoses.

Rockwell wheel brakes w/ pics - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Looking to see how you mounted calipers on front axle. Im not on here a lot use Facebook more. Or can email me pics at sheridan.jacob64@gmail.com thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks