• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted driving

BnaditCorps

Or behind, many times have I seen the trailer axles roll over the hood and crush the passenger compartment of a car that was following to closely or going to fast and unable to stop, colliding with the rear of the trailer, sadly at that point it is no longer a rescue operation.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to believe that it's a Silverado pick up truck. Very Sad.

I'm real impressed when I see someone not looking at their phone when they're in a vehicle. Here's the latest available stats.

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/facts-and-statistics.html
In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.

As of December 2014, 169.3 billion text messages were sent in the US (includes PR, the Territories, and Guam) every month.

Ten percent of all drivers 15 to 19 years old involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crashes. This age group has the largest proportion of driv*ers who were distracted at the time of the crashes. (NHTSA)

Drivers in their 20s are 23 percent of drivers in all fatal crashes, but are 27 percent of the distracted drivers and 38 percent of the dis*tracted drivers who were using cell phones in fatal crashes. (NHTSA)

The percentage of drivers text-messaging or visibly manipu*lating handheld devices increased from 1.7 percent in 2013 to 2.2 percent in 2014. Since 2007, young drivers (age 16 to 24) have been observed manipulating electronic devices at higher rates than older drivers. (NHTSA)

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010. (NOPUS)

Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55mph, that's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded.

http://www.teendriversource.org/stats/support_teens/detail/64
In 2013, there were 3,154 people killed and an estimated additional 424,000 injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.

Distraction was a key factor in 58 percent of crashes involving drivers ages 16 to 19, according to an analysis of video footage of 1,691 moderate-to-severe crashes 6 seconds before they occurred.

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. Six teens ages 16 to 19 die every day from motor vehicle injuries. Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.

Each day in the United States, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,153 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver. [SUP]1[/SUP]. Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes your attention away from driving.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-traffic-deaths-up-sharply-in-first-half-of-the-year-1475676390
Traffic deaths rose 10.4% in the first half, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Wednesday, a steep increase following a surprising uptick in fatalities last year.

The U.S. logged more than 17,700 traffic fatalities in the first six months of 2016, regulators estimated.

Drivers in their 20s represent 24% of those in fatal crashes, but are 29% of distracted drivers and 39% of distracted drivers using cellphones.

[h=2]How serious are the dangers? Deadly serious. Look at the facts:[/h] Researcher David Strayer of the University of Utah found that talking on a cell phone quadruples your risk of an accident, about the same as if you were driving drunk. That risk doubles again, to eight times normal, if you are texting. http://www.enddd.org/the-facts-about-distracted-driving/?gclid=COSri9ap9c8CFQEJaQodszUAFQ

The number of road deaths from distracted driving are on track to double the number of fatalities related to impaired driving this year for the first time since the laws were introduced in 2009, according to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/distra...wice-as-many-deaths-as-impaired-opp-1.3050230

Here is a link to Canadian Accident stats

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/cmvtcs2014_eng.pdf

[h=4]https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/dangers-texting-while-driving
What you can do to help[/h] Give clear instructions – Give new drivers simple, clear instructions not to use their wireless devices while driving. Before new drivers get their licenses, discuss the fact that taking their eyes off the road – even for a few seconds – could cost someone injury or even death.
Lead by example – No one should text and drive. Be an example for others and if you need to text or talk on the phone, pull over to a safe place. Set rules for yourself and your household regarding distracted driving.
Become informed and be active – Tell family, friends and organizations to which you belong about the importance of driving without distractions. Take information to your kids' schools and ask that it be shared with students and parents.
Learn more at http://www.distraction.gov

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't place yourself too close in front of a large truck!
I'm going to guess there was a substantial delta in velocities to cause this. So I'd be more worried about being stuck as the last guy in a traffic slow down and the truck that's a mile back not noticing.

richingalveston

I think November 1st texas starts hands free only cell phone. no texting and driving.

I see signs for it here in College station and on 290 so I believe it is state wide.

Another Ahab

I think the "hands-free" law is common to almost all the MidAtlantic States, but that doesn't stop stupidity.

That's part of the problem. It's like a lot of Law, it makes the legislators feel good (that they "did" something), but it doesn't really solve the problem at all.

CuCv M1008

In my short life I have been hit 3 times by other vehicles, 2 in the last year. Just like that Montgomery Gentry song I always ended up starry eyed sitting on the floor listening to my dad, The first thing he drilled into my head was "DONT PLAY WITH THAT RADIO". It's hard for me to believe that we are in a time where people can't stand to put down their phone for 5 minutes just to drive somewhere.

Another Ahab

In my short life I have been hit 3 times by other vehicles, 2 in the last year. Just like that Montgomery Gentry song I always ended up starry eyed sitting on the floor listening to my dad, The first thing he drilled into my head was "DONT PLAY WITH THAT RADIO". It's hard for me to believe that we are in a time where people can't stand to put down their phone for 5 minutes just to drive somewhere.
I'm old school in that thinking, too. Maybe we both are that way.

But we didn't grow up with phones in our hands every minute of the day like so many have now. It probably changes the way you look at the world, for better or for worse.

But you'd think that between the phone manufacturers and the car manufacturers they could come up with a way to "jam" the phone signal so you just could NOT use the phone from the wheel of a moving vehicle.

Five more years and maybe it won't matter when the cars are all driving themselves; that might solve the problem (and present new ones that nobody even knows about yet). Who knows?

CuCv M1008

Very true, like anything there's always a equal and opposite reaction, it's both crazy how far technology has went in such a short time and also how far it has yet to go.

richingalveston

If the car manufacturers jammed the signal, they would probably stop selling cars to today kids so I think it is a great idea. You want to get kids off the roads, thats one way to do it.

brts96

The focus should be on us setting a good example, and taking the initiative to do the right thing, without making the manufacturer be responsible; in my opinion.

We need to be responsible for our own actions and do the right thing, instead of having someone make us do it. We should keep each other honest, though.

As far as I know, jamming a signal is against the law, unti they work to get the law changed. How would it work for passengers, as well?

Another Ahab

The focus should be on us setting a good example, and taking the initiative to do the right thing, without making the manufacturer be responsible; in my opinion.

We need to be responsible for our own actions and do the right thing, instead of having someone make us do it. We should keep each other honest, though.

As far as I know, jamming a signal is against the law, unti they work to get the law changed. How would it work for passengers, as well?
You're right, absolutely; and that's part of the problem:

- There's not any "ah-ha!" easy kind of fix.

CUCVLOVER

if you want to make drivers more vigilant on the raod make everyone learn to pull a trailer. Having been pulling trailers since i started driving it has defiantly made me more aware of my truck and suroundings when on the road. If someone wants to have their phone plugged into the radio to play music that's fine i do it all the time but take the time to learn how to pause and skip with muscle memory. Sit on your couch tunes cranking and leanr to do it, i can skip to the next song without having to look at my phone.
You can be the best driver in the world but the guy in that car next to can still be a dingle berry and run into while eating a cookie and watching a movie on his phone while driving

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks