• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted driving

BnaditCorps

I was driving beside someone a couple of days back, on I-395 and we're booking along at about 60-65 mph:

- As i passed here I noticed she had BOTH her hands on her cell phone, texting; looking down at the phone and I couldn't tell (cause I moved away right quickly) but I think she was steering the wheel with the top half of the phone.

This was real; not make-believe. :3dAngus:
My dad as seen worse, although that was with a double stick truck, talking on the radio, hitting the siren through intersections, watching traffic, and navigating solo. Talk about a handful.

Happened Sat Morning of last week. I do swear in it... Not sure if you can make it out in the video, but pretty obvious she was on her phone.

As in the "Thing"? It's my 06 Dodge Ram 2500, with my running lights on!

https://youtu.be/tZqg2k6jkwU
My reaction is the same when people cut off a FIRE TRUCK.

saddamsnightmare

December 31st, 2015.

It was quite easy for her to "miss this thing", when you drive with cranial-anal impingement, life is always a subway! I've had them do it with desert sand colored deuces and forest green unimogs in areas that looked nothing like either a desert or a forest, it just the effect of genetic reversion at work.8)

o1951

Driving with headlights on during the day seems to help a bit.
What amazes me is the ones who drift into your lane, cut you off, and when you hit the horn, stop dead with a deer in the headlights look.

Best defense-- biggest heaviest vehicle you can afford.

Another Ahab

Driving with headlights on during the day seems to help a bit.
What amazes me is the ones who drift into your lane, cut you off, and when you hit the horn, stop dead with a deer in the headlights look.

Best defense-- biggest heaviest vehicle you can afford.
Funny you say that, because back in the day when hitchhiking was still a thing I rode my thumb cross-country (Maryland to Colorado and back), and this one semi driver i rode with tailgated as a habit. I made good time riding in the cab of that tractor. Making conversation with him I eventually asked:

- "Aren't you worried about being so close to some of these cars!?" And he says:

- "Nope. If any of them stop suddenly this cab is going right OVER them."

"We got nothing to worry about". :3dAngus:

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

Funny you say that, because back in the day when hitchhiking was still a thing I rode my thumb cross-country (Maryland to Colorado and back), and this one semi driver i rode with tailgated as a habit. I made good time riding in the cab of that tractor. Making conversation with him I eventually asked:

- "Aren't you worried about being so close to some of these cars!?" And he says:

- "Nope. If any of them stop suddenly this cab is going right OVER them."

"We got nothing to worry about". :3dAngus:

I like that MO

Another Ahab

I like that MO
Just for the record, on the flip-side I'm remembering he also added (while motioning with his thumb to the back of the tractor cab, toward the trailer):

- "No sir, the only thing that bothers me is all these bridge abutments we pass. Because if we ever run into one of those, then everything back there is coming right up here into the cab, with us".

Hitchhiking was a hoot. It was like living the Huckleberry Finn story, only on highways instead of on a river.

Finn.gif

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just yesterday, the City of San Angelo (Texas) City Council passed a NO TEXTING WHILE DRIVING ordinance which will go into effect on Saturday 1/9/2016.

There is much commentary in local media and on social media about this HOT POTATO topic. We shall wait and see where the fallout zone is and try to avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjKlKWohSA&feature=youtu.be

On another agenda item, the DID APPROVE the Police Department's acceptance of an MRAP from Uncle Sam's used car lot.

Another Ahab

That ordinance is on the books up here in Virginia, Maryland, and D.C., too; but I have yet to see it discouraging anybody from texting away on the road.

o1951

We have had law here for years. Read in police report page of newspaper lots of tickets issued.
Does not seem to phase people. Truck, bus and limousine drivers have been filmed doing it. sometimes, the video makes TV news.

On bad accidents, police now check to see if drivers were using cell phones. If so, issue citation and note in their report it was a contributing factor or if warranted, caused the accident. That may change their insurance premium.

There is a court case here, where 2 years ago, a driver drove on sidewalk and hit 4 people, killing 2. Police claim he was speeding and looking down, texting at time of accident.

quickfarms

We have had law here for years. Read in police report page of newspaper lots of tickets issued.
Does not seem to phase people. Truck, bus and limousine drivers have been filmed doing it. sometimes, the video makes TV news.

On bad accidents, police now check to see if drivers were using cell phones. If so, issue citation and note in their report it was a contributing factor or if warranted, caused the accident. That may change their insurance premium.

There is a court case here, where 2 years ago, a driver drove on sidewalk and hit 4 people, killing 2. Police claim he was speeding and looking down, texting at time of accident.
Last summer when I was in New Jersey I saw more people driving while talking on there cell phone than even in Los Angeles

quickfarms

Oh the east coast is WAY worse. People drive worse and do dumb things more often over there. I'm glad i am as far away as i can get from that mess.
There driving is fine.

Have you lived and driven on the east coast?

A lot of the roads date back to the colonial times.

Try driving a semi down a road originally built for a horse and buggy.

Lots of fun then add some real weather or rain, not this California drizzle, and it gets fun and interesting.

Another Ahab

Oh the east coast is WAY worse. People drive worse and do dumb things more often over there. I'm glad i am as far away as i can get from that mess.
There IS a scientific explanation you see:

- The morning sun hits all of us here on the East Coast sooner every day than it does you Left Coasters, so we warm up and get started sooner than you all do,

- And being human, and so kind of naturally ignorant (you know: things like trusting government, buying lottery tickets, and the like) we get started being ignorant long before you all do and that way we get more ignorance in than you before the day's all over.

Science: it's the explanation for almost everything!

science.jpg

Last edited:

tim292stro

I had a boss in a job about 15 years ago who was from New York. When we were in a large car and he was talking to the people in the back seat, he'd always turn around and face them - as in, for several seconds, even on a crowded freeway or in stop and go traffic. It was my understanding at the time that this behavior was rather common for New Yorkers. I'm still trying to decide if he was a good driver because he could do that or a bad driver because he would do that. He also used his horn as much as he leaned out the window to yell at other drivers with a single finger wave - and that left an impression. Though I never asked, his last name sounded Italian-ish, so that may have had something to do with his "passion" behind the wheel.

Learning to drive in California I've heard from visitors to this state that you have to learn a sort of driving telepathy, given how many cars are on the road on a given day in this state, and how few people use their turn signals or leave enough space in front or back of their cars when moving through traffic - it's surprising how few accidents there are.

I've also noticed that in the traffic "herd", if a driver sticks out, people give them more space and more drivers see this space and appear to wonder what's wrong with the driver that other people are leaving space for. Kind of like a sick animal...

Another Ahab

I had a boss in a job about 15 years ago who was from New York. When we were in a large car and he was talking to the people in the back seat, he'd always turn around and face them - as in, for several seconds, even on a crowded freeway or in stop and go traffic. It was my understanding at the time that this behavior was rather common for New Yorkers. I'm still trying to decide if he was a good driver because he could do that or a bad driver because he would do that. He also used his horn as much as he leaned out the window to yell at other drivers with a single finger wave - and that left an impression. Though I never asked, his last name sounded Italian-ish, so that may have had something to do with his "passion" behind the wheel.

Learning to drive in California I've heard from visitors to this state that you have to learn a sort of driving telepathy, given how many cars are on the road on a given day in this state, and how few people use their turn signals or leave enough space in front or back of their cars when moving through traffic - it's surprising how few accidents there are.

I've also noticed that in the traffic "herd", if a driver sticks out, people give them more space and more drivers see this space and appear to wonder what's wrong with the driver that other people are leaving space for. Kind of like a sick animal...
It'll be wacky in ten years (or maybe it'll only be 5), when none of us are driving and all the cars are driving themselves.

Guess the LEO's then will have more time to focus on other activity.

Cops_With_Donuts.jpg

o1951

"I've also noticed that in the traffic "herd", if a driver sticks out, people give them more space and more drivers see this space and appear to wonder what's wrong with the driver that other people are leaving space for"

That's interesting- could improve safety. Besides driving a FMV or a fender flapper or painting car dayglo pink, what can we do to stick out?

tim292stro

It'll be wacky in ten years (or maybe it'll only be 5), when none of us are driving and all the cars are driving themselves.

Guess the LEO's then will have more time to focus on other activity.

View attachment 603286
I've never met a local or state police LEO in CA who had a surplus of time :beer: There's always more than double what they have time to handle, with the staff and budget they have available. Interesting thought exercise, how much of your state is funded from vehicle fines and tickets...

I've spoken that my day job is at a company that also happens to be committed to making self driving cars happen (read my disclaimer then follow this link for some interesting and amazing public info from this year's CES show regarding self driving cars), this is personally in the back of my mind every time I read about self driving cars.

In California, CHP (state police) is partially funded by vehicle license fees - what happens if people don't buy cars, but buy access to a car and the car does all the work? No more Taxi drivers, no more limo drivers, no more Uber or Lyft (at least not with people driving), fewer deliver drivers, fewer truck drivers... So less money for the government (they don't like the word "less" when it comes to their money [thumbzup]), and more people out of work.

So the individual people who would normally pay for insurance, don't have to pay what they did since the risk is lower and likely moved to the manufacturer of the safety devices, less money is pushed into the underwriting business, so they won't need as many people to support the policies and claims - and also repairs would dry up, so the autobody business would likely collapse to. Like how cheap your paint is? What happens when a car only needs to be painted when it's built and the vehicle is retired after its design life with the same paint job? Aftermarket paint will likely be harder to get as well as someone who knows how to apply it.

If you re-watch the Jetsons where everybody had a flying car and everything is done for them by robots, it makes you ask what the heck George Jetson was doing at a job?

Better to build and service the robots that be the guy the robots replace - that said:
(From my favorite people at Despair.com)
adaptationdemotivator.jpeg

"I've also noticed that in the traffic "herd", if a driver sticks out, people give them more space and more drivers see this space and appear to wonder what's wrong with the driver that other people are leaving space for"

That's interesting- could improve safety. Besides driving a FMV or a fender flapper or painting car dayglo pink, what can we do to stick out?
That's not quite what I meant by "sticking out" - think the drunk guy who can't hold a lane, or the person texting who slams on their brakes when they realize that finishing their sentence would equal rear ending the person in front of them - then returns to their text when thy come to a stop ("crisis averted... Next!").

As for standing out in a good way, reflective markings during night and bright colors during the day will help - especially if you keep the flat CARC paint job. Adding lights up to the federal standard (on military vehicles that are not required to have them), will make your truck "blend in" to the expectations of drivers who are on auto-pilot (only seeing what they are looking for). Even if the reflective markings or lights are removable for shows and other "accuracy matters" events.

There is a safety thread with a lot of good ideas - also good to think about what happens if you break down.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

There driving is fine.

Have you lived and driven on the east coast?

A lot of the roads date back to the colonial times.

Try driving a semi down a road originally built for a horse and buggy.

Lots of fun then add some real weather or rain, not this California drizzle, and it gets fun and interesting.
It could just be the fact that the population density is higher there than were i live, thus the ratio of good/bad drivers may be the same, but because there are so many people it feels like there are more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks