• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY custom wheels??

HN6

I searched and didn't find anything. Any posts on cutting/making own custom wheel? Yes, Do not try this at home. I understand the safety precautions.

thanks,

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the search turned up quite a few threads. Happy reading.

Also this:

Member montaillou did some recent research on custom rims. You may want to tap into his knowledge as well.

Last edited:

HN6

Well, the search turned up quite a few threads. Happy reading.

Also this:

Member montaillou did some recent research on custom rims. You may want to tap into his knowledge as well.
Well, guess i need to get better at that for starters.

Thanks,

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isuzu budd 17.5", 19.5" and 22.5 are out there but the height OD on the 17.5 and 19.5 is only about 30-31". I've picked up a few for M105 axles but of course the 6 x 8.75 fits deuce too. Maybe the 22.5 is an alternative that would be higher on a truck (don't have any). Also, they may be a source of the inner portion for the cut and weld wheel people. Note on the 17.5 and 19.5, on an M105, the overall width is 8'2"....just under the legal limit. Salvage yard has some of the 17.5 for me but I don't have them yet. By my measure, they do fit over the 105 brake drum but I have not tried yet. Here is the 19.5 on an M105 axle. I know this is a thread about the deuce, but the 6x8.75 is same.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
posted this April 2018 about the route I went - I went with steel wheels made for my duece. Not cheap, but got EXACTLY what I wanted.

The company that made them is wheels now inc and the particular wheel is their # 219

Just another option - hey, it's only money that you will likely spend one time if you do it right the first time. That is how I approach purchases like these. One time purchase of a quality NEW product will never be as cheap as surplus. OK by me.

Reactions: HN6

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched and didn't find anything. Any posts on cutting/making own custom wheel? Yes, Do not try this at home. I understand the safety precautions.

thanks,
I have researched wheels extensively. What are you trying to accomplish? I should note, my research was for wheels made by commercial manufacturers. I'll be blunt and say home made wheels are something you do for enemies.

If you're talking about commercially available wheels, your biggest issue is our bolt pattern. Your choices are to stick with military wheels or find a blank wheel and have it drilled. You could also swap out the hub, but I can't see that ending well for your wallet.

HN6

I have researched wheels extensively. What are you trying to accomplish? I should note, my research was for wheels made by commercial manufacturers. I'll be blunt and say home made wheels are something you do for enemies.

If you're talking about commercially available wheels, your biggest issue is our bolt pattern. Your choices are to stick with military wheels or find a blank wheel and have it drilled. You could also swap out the hub, but I can't see that ending well for your wallet.

The "wallet" is the only reliable source so far!

A few threads on cutting and rewelding the wheels pretty easy and straight forward. I weld for a living, so if someone else is getting paid to weld them at their shop it should go fine for me. It will not be quick but

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seem like there should be an Isuzu going to a boneyard with those wheels in a 22.5 .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched and didn't find anything. Any posts on cutting/making own custom wheel?
Old thread with very good contributions, here:

HN6

Old thread with very good contributions, here:
Yes sir! You posted that on page one for me I believe. I have read each one at least 4 times. Looks pretty straight forward. Greatly appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks