• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankem-Deep

Progress with the process.

Attachments

Shankem-Deep

I was hoping to have some help with this next step of the build, but being in the middle of the week help is in short supply. I used autocad to draw up the bends and angles so I new exactly what I needed to do to make these come out exactly right. Unfortunately the well laid plans of mice and men often go astray. Trying to hold a 8' piece of 1-1/2 sch 40 pipe and make a compound angle cut is a bit of challenge! When I made the set for my truck, I used a plasma cutter and just finished ground it until it was a good fit, not the best way. Anyway, after hurting my brain for awhile I finally figured it out. Heres the results. I only tack welded it because I may make a fixture to hold these while i make this cut on the rest. Note the flush fit of the pipe to the slider body, this was what i was trying for. I didn't want to have a gap to fill in. Both ends have to be cut almost perfect for this to work, if one end is cut slightly off angle the other end will have a gap when one end is flush. That equals sloppy work, I hate sloppy work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Disciple

Keep building them! A set of these is definitely on my list of "must-have's". Winters are tough on the pay checks around here though. Once I get back to making good money I'll be getting a hold of you.

Shankem-Deep

I've got 3 sets for the trucks in progress. I have my buddies m1009 to make a set on, so it shouldn't be too much longer. I'm not sure of the price for the 09's yet. I'll let you guys know as soon as I can.

Shankem-Deep

Ok guys here's some more pics. I did alot of R&D this weekend and I think I have settled on a step design. It will bolt on through 2 sleeves that go through the body of the slider. I used thick wall pipe for the sleeves. I wanted a clean look so I designed them with the head of the bolt to be hidden. That also allows you to only need one wrench or socket to put them on and take them off. There is a extra hole in the slider body in the pics. That is a mistake I made. I forgot about the support on the other side of the slider body. If I would have put the other hole there it would have hit that support. Gotta love R&D. I fix it though. I will turn a solid bar at work to put through the hole and blend it in real nice. Let me know what you guys think of the steps.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks