• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY tow bar

PropDr

Got a e-mail from Gl the other day telling me that my EUC papers went through for my M35a2. So now I'm working on plan "B" just in case I can't drive it home under its own power.

Main tube material is 2.5x2.5x0.250
Buyers forged weld in lunette ring
tube ends are 2x1 cold rolled steel

The only problem that I have run into so far are the "feet" or adapters to hook it the truck. I can design and fab my own if sombody could provide the diminsions of the forged lifting eyes on the front end of the m35a2 series truck or from a mass produced tow bar. So far the only info I have been able to find is that the hole in the lifting eye is for a 1" pin.:doh:

More pics to follow

Thanks
Jay

Attachments

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a homemade tow bar w/feet several years back from M16ty. I've towed just about everything under the sun including a m106 apc. Have not been able to tear it up yet. I bet he still has the diminsions on his computer. Looks like you have a good start.

Farmun

Good looking welds. That should hold up quite well. What tow rig will you be using? Most of the members here tow with a truck equal to or greater than the size of the one being towed. Greater than is much safer. Good Luck!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tow bar will come in handy. If your truck runs, I would recommend driving it. If I remember correctly from another post, your truck isn't that far from you. The most important thing is the brakes if you drive it. Good luck.

PropDr

Good looking welds. That should hold up quite well. What tow rig will you be using? Most of the members here tow with a truck equal to or greater than the size of the one being towed. Greater than is much safer. Good Luck!

Well I was thinking worst case scenario I would go rent a Penske three axle tractor for a day. The website quote was about 160 a day plus mileage.

The standard for fabricated tow bars has been set very high. Review this thread and see if it helps!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/21184-homegrown-tow-bar.html
Thanks for the link, It has some great pics but its not really any help.

At the moment all I need to know is the thickness of the lifting tabs on the front end and to verify that the pin hole is 1" I.D.

Thanks
Jay

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a homemade tow bar w/feet several years back from M16ty. I've towed just about everything under the sun including a m106 apc. Have not been able to tear it up yet. I bet he still has the diminsions on his computer. Looks like you have a good start.
Yea, I've got them around here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After going back a re-reading the thread. I take it that you don't already have a deuce or a 5-ton or you wouldn't need the measurements. What are you planning on towing it with? Do not attempt towing with anything less than a 2-ton truck or you will end up in the ditch (or worse).

wildbilly1760

Not to hijack this thread, but what is the best length of tow bar to pull a deuce with a deuce? I used a pattern from m16ty so far for my home built. Now need a length to make the tubes. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks