• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY tow bar

PropDr

After going back a re-reading the thread. I take it that you don't already have a deuce or a 5-ton or you wouldn't need the measurements. What are you planning on towing it with? Do not attempt towing with anything less than a 2-ton truck or you will end up in the ditch (or worse).
lol You mean I can't tow it with a Geo Metro?
Sorry I couldn't hep myself.

:grd:

All joking aside worst case scenario I'll go rent a 3 axle Freightliner tractor from Penske truck rental and have my buddy who has a CDl do the driving.

wildbilly1760 said:
I think the measurement you need is 1 1/4" thick shackel mount with a 1" hole for the pin.
Awesome that's all I needed, thanks for the help.

panshark

you've got a good plan not scrimping on money and risking yours/others lives...sets a good recovery model for others to follow and keep our hobby safe!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol You mean I can't tow it with a Geo Metro?
Sorry I couldn't hep myself.

:grd:

All joking aside worst case scenario I'll go rent a 3 axle Freightliner tractor from Penske truck rental and have my buddy who has a CDl do the driving.

Awesome that's all I needed, thanks for the help.
I hope I didn't come off as a a** when I said what I did. I'm just going by experience. I had the bright idea of towing a deuce just a short distance down the road with my 3/4 ton Dodge. I hadn't even made it out of the parking lot when the front wheels went to full lock and jerked the back of the Dodge around like a rag doll. I've done it many times but even towing with another deuce is borderline. When pulling with another deuce you can feel the towed truck try and jerk the back of the towing truck around sometimes.

area52

Don't know how far away from Dave you are but here:

Walker Truck and Auto
17054 Darwin Av. Hesperia, Ca. 92345
Call 1st, Dave sometimes isn't there 760-244-8060

He is the one I got my towbar from a few years ago, he might have some more. He also had a lot of deuce parts.

PropDr

I hope I didn't come off as a a** when I said what I did. I'm just going by experience. I had the bright idea of towing a deuce just a short distance down the road with my 3/4 ton Dodge. I hadn't even made it out of the parking lot when the front wheels went to full lock and jerked the back of the Dodge around like a rag doll. I've done it many times but even towing with another deuce is borderline. When pulling with another deuce you can feel the towed truck try and jerk the back of the towing truck around sometimes.

Nope you didn't. I understand completely, your just looking out for everybody's well being.
Granted the wise crack about towing the deuce with a Geo was kinda out their in left field. It's still kinda funny, but then again my sense of humor is kinda warped.

I'm not surprised that it did that to your Dodge. If their was a way to increase the caster in the front end without cutting and rotating the knuckles it would be an easy issue to resolve. It would probably tow like a champ if it had 6-8° of positive caster, but then their is the issue of stopping it also.

Jay

PropDr

Easiest way to attach a towbar to a deuce would be to get a couple of shackles and use those as the feet.

I did look at doing it that way at first, but at $75.00 each for a 1" shackle I decided to take another approach. At the moment I have more time than money so this is what I came up with. Cost about $30 for the material to make the set.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks