• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy Winch Install

Shankem-Deep

I also replaced all the carriage bolts that hold the bumper and grill guard on with grade 8 1/2-13 bolts. This really stiffened everything up nicely. Plus it makes it easier to take your bumper on and off since you can hold a backup and turn the bolts from the front side.

Cletus09

Spiffy! I likes this.
Also, congratulations on having properly mounted HMMWV tires! So often I see those with one side mounted backwards.

Firejareen

I do like that install. It looks neat and clean.

Cletus09..The reason one side is mounted backwards from the other is so looking at the tracks of a military HMMWV you can't tell the direction it was traveling.

ssdvc

Awesome setup. Will you be fabbing up some sets of all the brackets to accomplish this install? I have a winch and wouldn't mind looking into a set.

Shankem-Deep

Awesome setup. Will you be fabbing up some sets of all the brackets to accomplish this install? I have a winch and wouldn't mind looking into a set.
The only brackets I made were the 2"x2" angle iron pieces that dropped the fairlead down a bit. The skid plate was the only thing that I really fabbed up.

Gonzomatic

Beautiful welds and a very slick setup! I put that same winch on the front of my truck. So far it's worked well. image.jpgI left mine exposed because if you are pulling anything off of straight away the cable can get hopelessly jammed up on one side of the spool. I hope this isn't what people mean by thread hijacking, that's really not my aim.

ssdvc

The only brackets I made were the 2"x2" angle iron pieces that dropped the fairlead down a bit. The skid plate was the only thing that I really fabbed up.
I meant to include the skid plate also. What would be a price to make up that set up for us who can't weld?

Shankem-Deep

I meant to include the skid plate also. What would be a price to make up that set up for us who can't weld?
Do you have a M1009? I'm not sure but I bet the frames are different widths. I doubt my skid plate would bolt up to a 09. Let me know what you have and we'll go from there.

ssdvc

Yes, an M1009. I don't know about anyone else, but that setup would look great on the front of my truck and solve a few mounting issues. Let me know if it is possible.

Oh, I finally got around to installing those grab handles. Extremely good fit and a fairly simple install. Thanks for that great product.

Shankem-Deep

Update: I've gone through 2 of the Harbor Freight 12000lb winches. I'm not abusing them at all. I didn't even come close to their rate of pull. After install I tested them by just pulling about 30ft of line out and back in. Worked fine without a load. With a load both winches quit within less than a minute. Wouldn't even roll the cable back up after unhooking. I may have messed up something in the wiring but don't think so. I'm going to pull the second one off but not sure if I want to try another Harbor Freight winch or not. Any ideas on what may be happening?

Gonzomatic

I got my truck stuck in a mud hole last weekend and winched out while under power. Tore up my lawn, but the Harbor Freight winch saved me from having to call my Pinzgauer buddy. I guess some of them work and some don't. Not the best situation with 3 and a half tons of metal stuck somewhere. FWIW. Good luck out there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks