• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DMV says I need a smog check

shannondeese

The DMV in San Diego says in order to register my Deuce I need to have it SMOG checked. I know a lot of you guys have registered your Deuces here with out a SMOG check. What do I need to do to get out of a SMOG check. I told them that the law says 1998 or newer so my truck is exempt. They told me it doesn't matter. I need a few ideas. Thanks.

jatonka

send Pelosi home, have a talk with Arnold, then move out of the state, Oregon is nice

Or, use the grandfather clause on the age of your truck and ask for the emmissions standards of that era be applied to your vehicle. It works in New York State, and we are the second worst in the country. JT out, good luck

Big CASE

I want to say if it is a Gas Motor you do not need one only diesel motors need SOMG testing . wink wink . I would look into doing your registering maybe as a RV or Antique .

rlwm211

If you taker the deuce in for a "SMOG CHECK" please do us all a favor and videotape it. I am sure the technician will have never seen diesel that is as non-compliant as a deuce multifuel.

Truthfully, you should be exempt for the age of your truck. I suspect you are being led down the primrose path.

RL

KsM715

The Marine Corps says I will be here for the next 2.5 years. Then I am free to move out. Until then i have to play along.
Do you have a permanent residence in another state? Do you have a Cali. DL? If Cali is just a temporary place have it registered in another state where you have an address and tell them to stick it.

whyme

its gonna fail if you really had to have it up to present day standards, i dont know about cali but ny will exempt it. if you do go run 50/50 WMO/Diesel, that would be fun...

Jimma

Most states will exempt it if you get antique plates. Or as stated earlier register it in your home state if that is anything other than the "Peoples Republic of Kalifornia".

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that according to this FAQ from the California Gov. site your Deuce is not subject to the smog check.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2009/09vin28.pdf
I would have to agree.... Pretty clear to me in PARAGRAPH 1 of the .pdf .

-------------

On another point.... IMHO...

Please consider revising the THREAD TITLE to specify CALIFORNIA DMV... you might get more CALI. Members to jump in here.

So far it seems you've gotten very few if any actual-factual input and experiences from our California Members.
2cents

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you had to do a "smog check" on the truck it would still pass as it is. You are allowed 55% opacity for pre 1991 diesel powered trucks. No need to mix fuels. Register it historic. Don't go to DMV, use a registration service.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to another DMV. they can not make up the law. If the law states you are exempt you are exempt. you may check with the JAG

tm america

They told me the same thing even with antique plates.Drove it to the emissions testing place they took one look at it filled out the paper i needed.No test but they have to be the ones to fill it out.Thats just how they do it around here...I think they just wanted to check out a bad A$$ TRUCK in person:-D

ZRacer

Even if you had to do a "smog check" on the truck it would still pass as it is. You are allowed 55% opacity for pre 1991 diesel powered trucks. No need to mix fuels. Register it historic. Don't go to DMV, use a registration service.
I agree with this advice. The MVD here was a PITA. I went to a private outfit.

We have to do SMOG checks in AZ as well. And not just to register it but EVERY YEAR (unless older than 1965) for a diesel. Actually, two tests: 1) an opacity test ; 2) a "snap test" ensure that the governor is working. (I hate this one since you have to rev the crap out of the Deuce!). :x

I have historic plates too, but these are just vanity plates in AZ. It doesn't get you out of having to do the SMOG test.

I will say that I had no trouble passing, and I expect that you won't either if your Deuce is running properly. But if you can avoid it with an "out clause" - then by all means - do so!

I also agree with the advice to get the h-e-l-l out of the People's Republik of Kalifornia ASAP! :!:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks