• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DMV says I need a smog check

armytruck63

Actually you are exempt for two reasons:
1. Your truck is older than a 1998 year model, and
2. Your GVWR is over 14,000 lbs.

I would suggest doing as Mr. Will says and register it historical, unless you need otherwise for a business purpose.

armytruck63

RE: the Snap test:

:shock:HOLY COW! Who pays for your engine if it greandes itself all over the test bay? What is the resoning behind this test, to prove that the governor will prevent a runaway?!?

I also agree with the advice to get the h-e-l-l out of the People's Republik of Kalifornia ASAP! :!:
I myself would leave the PROK too if not for my job, entire extended family and most of my friends being here.:lol:

Last edited:

shannondeese

I am using the registration service that is on base, unfortunatly he told me that I had to SMOG it inorder to get plates. I called DMV they told me my truck was chosen since it was a prior military vehicle and the eng tag does not say it is CA emisions compliant and I am registering it at 10300 lbs since I bobbed it and have a certified weight ticket. So I am stuck. right now I am using almost 100% synthetic aviation hydraulic fluid mixed with synthetic turbine eng oil, with a very small amount of JP8 thrown in for good measure. The truck loves it but it really smokes when I get on the throttle. I am going to drain the tank tomorrow. Put in 5 gallons of gas and 5 gallons on JP8 and turn my injection pump WAY down. Then I'm going to get it SMOGed. Hopefully it'll pass then or at the least confuse the heck out of the machine.

ZRacer

RE: the Snap test:

:shock:HOLY COW! Who pays for your engine if it greandes itself all over the test bay? What is the resoning behind this test, to prove that the governor will prevent a runaway?!?

I myself would leave the PROK too if not for my job, entire extended family and most of my friends being here.:lol:
I agree - the state should pay - but they won't. aua

Yes, the test is to prevent a runaway - or a "grenade" while actually driving the vehicle on the road!

stumps

I seem to recall that one of the really cool things about being in the military is you can choose any state in the union as your residence.... regardless of whether you actually live there. Register the truck in Oregon.

Also, being military, you are not required to change the registration of your personal vehicles to the state where you are serving.

-Chuck

maynard83

I am using the registration service that is on base, unfortunatly he told me that I had to SMOG it inorder to get plates. I called DMV they told me my truck was chosen since it was a prior military vehicle and the eng tag does not say it is CA emisions compliant and I am registering it at 10300 lbs since I bobbed it and have a certified weight ticket. So I am stuck. right now I am using almost 100% synthetic aviation hydraulic fluid mixed with synthetic turbine eng oil, with a very small amount of JP8 thrown in for good measure. The truck loves it but it really smokes when I get on the throttle. I am going to drain the tank tomorrow. Put in 5 gallons of gas and 5 gallons on JP8 and turn my injection pump WAY down. Then I'm going to get it SMOGed. Hopefully it'll pass then or at the least confuse the heck out of the machine.
You don't have to get it smogged no matter anyone tells you.
I just registered my 1985 M1010 and no smog was required because it is older than 1998. I used AAA in Newport Beach since there are a couple of guys who know how to get MV's registered.
I suggest you call around in your area to several offices and find that one person who knows what he or she is doing. Joining AAA is worth it since they provide so many services for free to their members.
Good luck to you

I seem to recall that one of the really cool things about being in the military is you can choose any state in the union as your residence.... regardless of whether you actually live there. Register the truck in Oregon.

Also, being military, you are not required to change the registration of your personal vehicles to the state where you are serving.

-Chuck

I actually have perm. antique plates on mine from VA. And I only lived there for 6 months in 05. My drivers license is from GA and I am a legal resident of CA.

Heavysteven

Wish I could be there when they smog test it. That should be funny when you smoke them out of the building. Sounds like you got one of those people at the DMV that does not think and just reads the screen.

Common sense and logic at any DMV is hard to come by.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize California has smog issues, and is very strict on some kinds of pollution, and the local customs are a bit different than here in Texas.

However, the very mention of the government demanding a smog check on an old truck in California, in the timely context of the last baseball game our Texas team played there, is very funny. Our Texas sports reporters documented the fog of marijuana smoke permeating the facility and the many locals who were getting potted-up. :shock:

OK well I was amused by that, back to the reasons why a SMOG check is not, or should jot be, required on the military vehicle.

Seth_O

My first go at the DMV they tried to tell me I needed to smog my truck ('67 multifuel.) We had words. They then retracted their request for a smog certification.

I finally completed my registration today (8hrs, 3 trips and 2 DMV's later.) I ended up registering it as an antique. That was the only way to avoid the outrageous $500/yr registration cost.

maynard83

Oh boy fellas, you have no idea how insane it's getting out here. Will I am sure has experience with this. Check out this from our favorite state agency CARB.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/diesel/mobile.htm

That is an understatement. There was an article that provided evidence that they had been exaggerating pollution in our state by over 340 Percent so they can push their insane green agenda!

To give you some more context to what Brat is talking about; we are about to re-elect both Jerry "Moon Beam" Brown and Barbara Boxer.

I love my state, born and lived most of my life here, but I am about ready to depart (and take my money with me) to somewhere else.

Sgt. Sam

Kalif.

Well I will say this - I was born and raised in that chickens**t place and was a police officer and retired in 1986. I moved to Idaho and I'll NEVER ever go ther again. I have a 5 ton M-62 that I have plates on and never had a problem with the state. And it weighs 33000. Good luck !!!

randygk

I bought a '67 M35A2 2 months ago and it was already registered as a Historical Vehicle, so no issues when registering it. I would try several different DMV's, as they all seem to have different qualities. (just like Wienerschnitzel). Through some illness or old timers disease I just won three more trucks and am awaiting EUC to get them. I HOPE I don't have some DMV moron tell me they need to pass smog. I also just got my class A license, probably not an issue for you. Good luck- I love my job and this state.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your DMV office is misinformed. There are no formal "smog checks" in place for non commercial diesel powered vehicles The PSI. periodic smoke inspection. is only for commercial fleet vehicles. Tell the DMV geeks to SHOW you the smog check guidelines that your truck supposedly falls under. The inspections for pickup sized vehicles haven't even been started yet.