• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do glowplugs make any noise when they go bad?

edpdx

And, does leaving the key switched to the ON position- as if listening to the radio flat burn up the gowplugs. I let my daughter take my truck to school while hers was down and didn't think to warn her not to do that.

original

I've never heard a noise come from a bad plug and yes leaving the key on for more than 30 seconds can burn up the glow plugs. Time to get a GP tool and start replacing. Save yourself some trouble and wire your accessories to run without the key and turn them off when parked.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The instructions for starting on the drivers side visor says not to leave the key on, or GP damage may occur. It is also said in the -10.

Yes to making a sound when they burn out. In your case it should sound like a phone ringing, then a familiar voice saying, dad, the truck wont start.

Last edited:

mistaken1

No noise.

From the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual:

CAUTION
Do not leave key in "RUN” position for more than 2 minutes. Failure to
follow this caution may resuit in damage to glow plugs.

JUNKYARDJOHN

The instructions for starting on the drivers side visor says not to leave the key on, or GP damage may occur. It is also said in the -10.

Yes to making a sound when they burn out. In your case it should sound like a phone ringing, then a familiar voice saying, dad, the truck wont start.
Thats priceless Doghead... made me spit coffee all over my keyboard this morning. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: John

NICK_M1009

The nice thing about these trucks is that they have seperate pipes. When you start it and you see one side is still smoking after a few you can tell which side you have to check, narrowing it down to one side. Hopefully one plug goes out at a time.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, does leaving the key switched to the ON position- as if listening to the radio flat burn up the gowplugs. I let my daughter take my truck to school while hers was down and didn't think to warn her not to do that.
Are you hearing some sort of noise, or just asking the question? If you are hearing some noise, it should not be the glow plug.

edpdx

glcaines, yep, I actually did hear a noise before I took the old Direct Drive Starter out. It was a kind of sizzling bacon sound. Just once when I turned the key. I have not hear it since; but then again the new starter in not running right yet either- I have a new solenoid I am putting on today. I just can't help thinking that noise accounts for some damage yet undetected.

What about the circuit board that goes with the glow plug circuit, does that burn up with a cooking sound?

ps. My daughter drove the Blazer home ok, so I don't know that the key was left in the run position too long. I was just trying to account for the starter going bad.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would make sure you have good clean connections on both batteries and every other high amperage connection from the batteries. Also check the batteries ground connections and the engine ground.