• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need a CDL for a 5 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

m816

Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 LBS Needs to have a CDL to drive it. Any truck with Air brakes needs the endorcement for air brakes. You can't get an AIR BRAKE endorcement on a passenger class license. You need to have a CDL first. It can't be any more plain than that. All you nitwits that keep beating this horse to death because you are either too stupid to pass the test or too cheap to apply for the CDL are the only ones who keep bringing this subject up. If you want to drive the big trucks, GET A CDL. Learn how to drive and maintain the vehicle and put it to use. Otherwise get a jeep.

Rifleman

General,i don't want to get into a war of words with you, and you may be right in the state you live in but in the state of Arizona you are wrong. Under Arizona state law (ARS28-3101) there is an exception in section C of the law. A commercial drivers license is not required to operate a vehicle described in subsection A, paragraph 1,2 or 3 (this is the section that states the 26001 weight limit) of this section if the vehicle has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section ARS 28-2484 and the department. 1, That the vehicle is classified as a noncommercial vehicle and may not be used as a commercial vehicle. 2 the vehicle's gross weight is entered as zero. Now General If you don't believe what i have posted you can goggle the ARS numbers i listed and you can read them for yourself on the Arizona state web site.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we need a thread that list every state's CDL requirements and post it as a sticky.

Every state is different and what works in one state may not work in another. For example, in TN, if you have a 5-ton with farm tags you DO NOT have to have a CDL and can haul basically anything you want (not for hire) as long as you stay within 100 miles of your house. If you want to go further than 100 miles and cross state lines you get into a grey area and it may be best to go ahead and have CDLs.

Anybody wanting to know if they need a CDL needs to go to the state DOT website and look up the law and not take advise from somebody in another state. :wink:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And with that the thread is closed.

CDL threads never accomplish their intended goal. They degrade into ironclad speculation and opinion. Even when presented with facts people argue.

Please feel free to consult an attorney and have them get you the exact answer for where you live and present it to you on paper. That way you have recourse if you do what they say is correct and get stopped for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks