• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does a CUCV have power brakes?

gt1009

One more question, DOT 3 or DOT 5? Just opened mine, was almost empty, filled with DOT 3 for the time being, remembered seeing that here.

acetomatoco

Yes CUCV have Power Brakes... described in your manuals. It is a hydraulic boost system using the Power Steering pump for pressure...Hard to imagine how your Master Cylinder went dry in such a hurry between daily Motor Stables unless you had a catastrophic failure of the seal in the master, or a brake line rupture or a wheel cyl which blew... Dot 5 was the original fluid...topping off with Dot 3 should be only an emergency get home procedure and the advice from above re flushing is a good one... proper way is with alcohol and compressed air and takes a good while...military had a big writeup on it when trucks were converted from Dot 5 from Dot 3. ACE

CCATLETT1984

you should be fine just flushing with dot5, just run a quart through the lines and you will be fine. I reccomend purchasing a warning sticker for the master cylinder cap, you can find ones on ebay that say to add only silicone brake fluid. I got one at the aberdeen show for $1

gt1009

Trust me kenny, I checked for it, but it wouldn't show up on my computer. I was angry like this aua aua

Anyone know the jack points on this truck btw? I was thinking under the axle but I didn't know if there were better ones.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, try it again. right click on the link and "Save target as". For some odd reason they won't open from a left click. Jack points are the axles.

dependable

This brings up a question I've had. I've got several cucvs, I recently got a 1028 from GL and it has DOT 5 silicon brake fluid, with a decal on hood and all. The other 4 I have had DOT 3 when I got them. Is it likely that these had DOT 5 at one time? I am familiar with the consequences of mixing the two.

tsmall07

How can you tell if the truck has dot 5 or 3? I got my truck from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy...... and there is no way I can know if it had been switched or not.

jj

Yeah, there is a way, really simple. Siphon a small (20cc) amount of brake fluid from your master cylinder. Put it in a small diameter glass or clear plastic container like a test tube. Then mix in a similar amount of DOT 3 fluid that your are sure about. The repair manuals always say " from an unopened container." Then shake vigorously and let settle. If you had DOT 5 in the master cylinder, the two liquids will NOT mix, you will see a clear separation. If you had DOT 3 to start with the mix will be homogenous.

kentuckycucv

Well I had no Idea.... I think the oil change guys topped off my MC with dot 3. There is no DOT 5 Sticker. Did the military always use DOT 5... The stuff looks dark and murky. What next?

kentuckycucv

I got all the fluid out of the reseviors put the fluid in 2 separate jars and added dot 3. The main bigger res was very dark grayish, and cloudy the rear resevior was yellow fluid but cloudy. Both jars show a separation of the fluids. Now what??? Do I refill with Dot 3 or do I go find some Dot 5 somewhere and refill with that???? Then Bleed bleed bleed.
Or do I just refill with whatever and keep on truckin????